4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RES and uConnect for iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
JKGEEPER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at a 2011 ram to compare to my 2010 ram to see how the remote usb/ipod connection is setup. I have the RES radio from the factory that has the uconnect button. I of course do not have uconnect nor do I have the usb port in my upper glovebox like the 2011 ram I looked at. Is the 2010 usb port in the same location (upper glovebox) as the 2011? Has anyone retrofited or upgraded their 2010 to look like the factory setup? Does all of the parts that allow this come with the uconnect accessory kit #82211878 ? Does this kit have the same usb port as the factory? From my understanding, I will need to purchase the iPod extension cable as well. I am also looking at either upgrading to the REN non Nav or the RER Nav radio. If I go that route, will I still need to purchase the uconnect kit as well? Your help is appreciated!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by GapRunr
Very possible. I had the RES radio with the uConnect button and Sirius. I purchased the hands free bluetooth kit, part number 82211878 and the iPod cable 82211263. This gave me control over the iPod from the OEM radio. I can search by artist, playlist, song name, etc. It also came with a microphone that allows you to use your bluetooth compatible phone handsfree in the car through the stock speakers. Your phone can be sitting in your pocket, in the back seat, or as I found out in my jacket in my friends car behind me at the light. It cost me less than $300 delivered and took about 2 hours for me to install it. The longest part was running the microphone wire from the front right footwell where the interface mounts to the left door pillar. I did have to pay the dealer for a half hour labor to program the computer to recognize the presence of the uConnect Interface. I had them do that, the cruise and the fog lights in one shot.

If you haven't got the parts yet, I got mine at Steve White Motors. They are usually the cheapest place to order online parts and accessories.

http://www.stevewhiteparts.com

I bought my truck from them from out of state and they delivered it to me. It was one of the easiest vehicle purchases I have ever done. I hate car dealers, but these guys were great to deal with.

Ya that is a very stupid way for them to have you put the mic. don't you find you knock it off getting in, I put mine when I had the REN on the dash I had the console which should not matter but on the radio heater bezel where the RAM sign is or you may have switched I just took one screw out it bent back enough to slip that skinny wire thru and I use a small round file to take just a smidge out so the wire will sit in there and stuck it right there, worked great no BS wire routing. And it doesn't look like you have a bug in your truck.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Lonewolfjustin

Originally Posted by GapRunr
I did have to pay the dealer for a half hour labor to program the computer to recognize the presence of the uConnect Interface. I had them do that, the cruise and the fog lights in one shot.
Why did you have to have the dealer program the computer? It doesn't do that with installing the module?

Also what did you have them do to the cruise control and fog lights?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your vehicle is a 2010 and you have the RES with the Uconnect buttons then go online (ebay or whever) look for PN 82212159 which is the complete kit includes the module, harness, mic, & install manual.
Then look for the optional USB / iPod cable PN 82212160.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The computer will not recognize the module and it will not work until the sales code is put into the computer by a dealer via the STARSCAN tool. Dealer charged me $47 to program the wife's van.

Originally Posted by Lonewolfjustin
Why did you have to have the dealer program the computer? It doesn't do that with installing the module?

Also what did you have them do to the cruise control and fog lights?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is easiest isn't always the best. The mic should be placed on the "A" trim panel for optimum sound quality. This was the chosen location after tests were performed to find the best location.
Will it work where you placed it on the dash? yes it will but it can also pick up more road noise, dash vibrations and just not work the way it was designed to.

Originally Posted by 72combo
Ya that is a very stupid way for them to have you put the mic. don't you find you knock it off getting in, I put mine when I had the REN on the dash I had the console which should not matter but on the radio heater bezel where the RAM sign is or you may have switched I just took one screw out it bent back enough to slip that skinny wire thru and I use a small round file to take just a smidge out so the wire will sit in there and stuck it right there, worked great no BS wire routing. And it doesn't look like you have a bug in your truck.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
atvresq1551

I just done this last week to my 12 Ram 1500. I have the ST with RES with UConnect/Sirius. I bought the cable from the dealer ($35) and they installed it for me for around $100. It took about 30 minutes and they ran the cable through my lower glove box. Im sure you have them run it anywhere as the USB cable is pretty long. My Steering wheel and radio forward/reverse buttons work great on it. You can also choose your songs/playlists through the **** on the right. It is the best purchase I made. http://www.mopar.com/part/82212160?s...i=276728&b=ram

Quick Reply: RES and uConnect for iPod?