4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Advice after getting stuck in a pond

Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 AM
JohnVI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice after getting stuck in a pond

Hey gang

Need some expert advice here please.

I recently went to the OBX and did a lot of Beach Driving, well the first night when i got in it was pitch black dark, i judged a water hole and forgetting to test the tire thing went to the side that was the deepest.

I got stuck, but was almost out of it. Water did leak in a little bit in the back, but only on the rear passenger side behind the driver, and most of it went into the floor storage bin. I was pulled out luckily, and was able to run the engine over with the first start. If i had gotten the Sport i know i would have been royally screwed since that minor height difference was important.

So, the back end was under water for about 20minutes or so. All the water drained out, i had it cleaned and will be getting the interior steamed this weekend. But, you honestly would have no idea this happened unless i told you by the looks of it.

QUESTION is: Should i Worry about changing any of the fluids?

Rear Axel fluid

Transmission fluid

I know the rear Axel is sealed and i "think" our trucks have a one way valve to let fluid overflow out but not in...is this right?

It drove fine not a single issue, noise, shutter, nothing on the way back from OutterBanks (OBX). Since this was the case, am i fine just leaving it alone?

I don't want to spend money i don't have...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd change the diff fluid. If the diff was warm when you went in it could have sucked water in past the axle seals. For what it costs to change gear oil it is not worth the damage that would be done by leaving water contaminated oil in there.

Trans fluid is fine, there is pretty much no way to get water in there unless you are up to the dipstick.

If this was salt water, I'd pull the carpet out to clean it. Just to make sure you get all the salt off the metal. And I would also pull the inner door panels and flush out the door bottoms and drains.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by 706jim
Is the Sport set to ride lower than the other models?
It sure seems high enough to step into as it is stock.
No. The sport is just an SLT with extra stuff on it. The 2wd trucks sit lower than the 4wd trucks though.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 AM
706jim
Veteran

Originally Posted by JohnVI
If i had gotten the Sport i know i would have been royally screwed since that minor height difference was important.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 AM
pdavis53
All Star

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I'd change the diff fluid. If the diff was warm when you went in it could have sucked water in past the axle seals. For what it costs to change gear oil it is not worth the damage that would be done by leaving water contaminated oil in there.

Trans fluid is fine, there is pretty much no way to get water in there unless you are up to the dipstick.

If this was salt water, I'd pull the carpet out to clean it. Just to make sure you get all the salt off the metal. And I would also pull the inner door panels and flush out the door bottoms and drains.
Agreed, This is a not a good situatuion if it is indeed Salt Water. I would almost pull out all the carpet wash it with a pressure washer and replace the matting under the carpet. I would also was the crap out of the metal under the carpet. This is if the water was salt waster. If not I might just replace the matting and that's it. Take the opportunity to put some of the stero matting under there, I here it really cut's down on road noise.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 AM
FingerBang
Amateur

anytime you sit any part under water, for any amount of time, you change the fluids, its just the cost of doing business. if water got in the cab, do as much as you can as fast as you can to prevent rust. remove carpets seats, get everything dried out as soon as possible.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM
jaflowers
Professional

Originally Posted by 706jim
-

He has a TRX4 version. They are susposed to sit up an inch or so higher, not too much of a difference.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 PM
1954Radio
Captain

You most likely now have water in your diff/gears which will now look like sludge...pull your cover and check it is a must. There are vents on the axle housings, small but good enough for some major water intake. They are usually little 1/4" lines sticking out toward the top of the housings with 1/2 size swivel caps on them...better to be safe than sorry!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
1970Duster440
Rookie

If his rearend is a 9 1/4 like mine the vent has a tube that runs from the housing, just on the drivers side of the pumkin, and is secured up in the cross member against the bottom of the bed. (there was an RRT about the vent hose)I would pull the plug in the cover and if the oil has white foam in it or it comes gushing out because of a lot of water I would change the fluid if not I wouldn't. JMHO

Last edited by 1970Duster440; 12-01-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

Trade it in Fast! That is if it was salt, no matter what you do you wont get all the salt from the inner panels along the seams at the bottom, around the bed of the truck, the interior, cut your losses and trade up and don't mention it. Just MO. Newer vehicles have better corrosion resistance but they still have areas that are weak which are fine unless you provide an additional factor to the equation. Like I said only my opinion good luck1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice after getting stuck in a pond