4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recommendations for cam, throttle body, headers, other stuff.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 PM
TheDarkFox
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for cam, throttle body, headers, other stuff.

As the title suggests, i'm needed suggestions for my next round of parts. It obviously goes without saying that i'm leaving the factory warranty far behind. I run quarter miles, so i'm probably bound to blow this thing up eventually anyway. =)

Right now (and this is subject to change of course), i'm leaning towards a 586 cam, American Racing Headers, and either an 85 or 90mm throttle body. My first question would be if these are good choices, and if there are better choices than these. My second question would be what other parts i should consider upgrading along-side these parts so i dont blow my engine?

Also, would anyone have any ballpark idea of what kind of HP/torque gains i would expect from these parts? (and if you're feeling saucy, how about these parts + what i already have, in hp/torque?).

I'm on my way to a supercharger next year. But these items, among others, are first. Thanks for the input guys!

-Fox

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
eclipsems
Professional

Originally Posted by TheDarkFox
As the title suggests, i'm needed suggestions for my next round of parts. It obviously goes without saying that i'm leaving the factory warranty far behind. I run quarter miles, so i'm probably bound to blow this thing up eventually anyway. =)

Right now (and this is subject to change of course), i'm leaning towards a 586 cam, American Racing Headers, and either an 85 or 90mm throttle body. My first question would be if these are good choices, and if there are better choices than these. My second question would be what other parts i should consider upgrading along-side these parts so i dont blow my engine?

Also, would anyone have any ballpark idea of what kind of HP/torque gains i would expect from these parts? (and if you're feeling saucy, how about these parts + what i already have, in hp/torque?).

I'm on my way to a supercharger next year. But these items, among others, are first. Thanks for the input guys!

-Fox
Some of the options your mentioning will give you some gain in your peak numbers, but will sacrifice low and mid range torque for the top end. Not exactly what you want with our 5000+lbs trucks, unless your building a race truck.

Your likely not going to gain any significant power with your mods listed above, more just change your power characteristics. Better off to save your money, and wait for F/I. Magnuson should be releasing a root style blower soon for our Hemi's. That should give you a big boost in HP and torque through out the rev range.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 PM
TheDarkFox
Rookie

By race truck, what are you referring to exactly? I did mention i was racing quarter miles.

What other parts should i consider that i didnt mention in the first post?

Last edited by TheDarkFox; 11-22-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 PM
renos09
Veteran

I did the mopar intake and exhaust si to dual out and have lost some bottom end but picked up mid to top end power. I also added the 85 mm throttle body and it helped a bit on the low end loss. To use the full potential of a 90 mm throttle body you need to have alot more serious horse power then you would get from bolt-ons.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:54 AM
TheDarkFox
Rookie

Right, right. I'm not an auto expert by any stretch of the imagination, so i'm going with the upgrades i've seen other people do. What other parts should i be putting on here to increase performance? Again, the supercharger is coming, but not till next year. In the meantime i'm upgrading everything else i can, i just need suggestions.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 AM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

A tuner, intake and exhaust alone will put you north of 440HP. I don't know how much a cam or heads will add but I am sure they will get you over 450-460 easy. Don't forget those 4.56 gears

Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM
TheDarkFox
Rookie

As it shows in my sig, i already have a K&N intake, Superchips cortex, and a jet 180 thermostat. My truck came with 3.55's, which i'll keep for now, since they are versatile.

I'd much rather have 450 flywheel horsepower than 450 crank horsepower

But yeah, need more parts suggestions.

Last edited by TheDarkFox; 11-24-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:32 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

As it shows in my sig, i already have a K&N intake, Superchips cortex, and a jet 180 thermostat. My truck came with 3.55's, which i'll keep for now, since they are versatile.

I'd much rather have 450 flywheel horsepower than 450 crank horsepower

But yeah, need more parts suggestions.
You mean Rear Wheel Horse Power? The flywheel, if we had one, would be bolted right to the crank.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM
TheDarkFox
Rookie

I suppose i do. Guess i've watched too much speed channel lately.

Still need suggestions.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:48 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

I suppose i do. Guess i've watched too much speed channel lately.

Still need suggestions.
LOL, no worries, I am pretty adicted to that channel myself.

Supercharger?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendations for cam, throttle body, headers, other stuff.