4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grille Guard Pics and Info?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
5.7x28mm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to ask a stupid question on this subject if anyone cares to answer. I have had grille guards on many trucks, but have never really thought about this until recently:

Does a grille guard reduce MPG's? Either due to loss of aerodynamics, or just from the extra weight? Anyone ever measured this, before vs. after one was installed? Thanks.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM
jprovine

i have not noticed any decline on my old 05 or the new one, i know the best i have gotten is 18.5 hand calcuated on a drive of mostly interstate only in the late summer of last year. when i was in the dealer for asking about wind noise on the passenger side door, Dodge blamed me for having it to cause the wind noise affect due to the grill guard changing the aerodynamics. But other people with out them have been complaining about the wind noise also. if you do notice any decline in mpg is was very small, but i think it does well to flow with the front side of the truck and the protection is awsome. For i almost met a doe the first night i had it on...

Old 01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
5.7x28mm
Professional

Originally Posted by jprovine
i have not noticed any decline on my old 05 or the new one, i know the best i have gotten is 18.5 hand calcuated on a drive of mostly interstate only in the late summer of last year. when i was in the dealer for asking about wind noise on the passenger side door, Dodge blamed me for having it to cause the wind noise affect due to the grill guard changing the aerodynamics. But other people with out them have been complaining about the wind noise also. if you do notice any decline in mpg is was very small, but i think it does well to flow with the front side of the truck and the protection is awsome. For i almost met a doe the first night i had it on...
Thanks, jprovine. I did notice a wind noise when I put an Aries on my 2nd gen (never bothered me, though), but I never really thought about MPG's. Your experience makes me feel better about it.

I am considering the same one as you have, although the "Texas" type GG's are kinda hard to get ahold of way up here. A few companies sell them online, though.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM
big4x4dodge09
Professional

Originally Posted by 5.7x28mm
What brand is that? Is that made by "Go Industries"?

That is an awesome GG (and a sweet truck, too). But (just MHO) the only part I would not like is that the sides that go across the headlights don't match the lines of the truck's headlights (as seen on your last pic).

How lifted is your truck, BTW?
actually, the bars across the lights are so thin and so close to the light, that it doesnt make a difference when they lights are on. my headlights are tinted anyway. but replaced the bulb to the silverstar ultra until i get some HID's.

its a 6 in pro-comp

Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 PM
luckyshotbrooks
Rookie

I figured Id let yall know I put on a cattelmans grille guard today. I started a new thread with pictures if yall want to see it.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Swiftks
Rookie

I have the same grille guard as big4x4dodge09... the Go Industries "Rancher." It cost me considerably more than a Ranch Hand or other comparable grille guard. However, it was worth every penny. The main tubing is 1.9" thick. I didn't think about that, until I got it put on... Holly Sh*t! My grille guard is almost twice as thick as every single other one I see on any model truck, and I get to look at a lot of grille guards since I live in a college town. Also, as already stated, I like the 2 bars protecting my headlights. This is also very hard to find for the new dodge trucks. Ranch Hand and others, do not put these bars on their grille guards for liability reasons. They do not block any light however. I also like the step that runs along the bottom of the grille guard; very handy. This grille guard is a beast!

As for MPGs... I did notice a difference before and after. After putting this grille guard on, I lost about 1 1/2 - 2 MPG... oh well. Also, I had a 2" leveling kit put on before I had the grille guard, and it's a good thing I did, b/c this thing is so massive, it weighed my font end back down. I wouldn't consider it without at least a 2" kit on front. But all in all I think I made a great choice, and I get a lot of complements on it, b/c it's bigger and badder than the rest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grille Guard Pics and Info?