4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adjust rear bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 AM
gutty96
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjust rear bumper?

So waking up yesterday morning, the driveway was like a sheet of ice.

After a long day of work, lets just say I forgot about that fact.

When backing into the garage, I went to hit the brakes, and felt the ABS shudder, and knew I wouldn't stop, so I hit the corner of the bumper on the side of the garage.

It is not too bad, a little dent in the corner of the bumper, no paint damage, but the the bumper itself is shifted closer to the box on the passenger side now.

Is there a safe/easy (short of a crowbar, LOL) way to adjust it back, so both side are even again?

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:01 AM
ripplek
Rookie

The only way your going to get it right is to change out your bumper brackets, and thats assuming your bumper is ok. I've hammered brackets back before , but it's a pain.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 AM
gutty96
Veteran

Well that's no good.

Is there any point in even crawling under there to see if I can at least make it look better until I can get a shop to look at it? Or total waste of time?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
rarichard

it would be a little tricky to not buy new brackets. I'm in the process right now of replacing my rear bumper after getting hit. I had to order new brackets which only come in a pair for both sides ($80) Other than that, The only thing I would reccomend is trying to get the bracket off and forming it back to shape by hand but a slight difference could equate to a gap that you might not still be happy with. SO, brackets will definately solve the problem, and while you have to have the bumper off anyways, you can more easily try to knock out the ding on the bumper from the inside.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
gutty96
Veteran

Crawled under to have a look, and yes, the bracket is bent.

Now, despite buying in pairs, can I just replace the one side, and that way will not have to take the whole bumper off? I can worry about the dent in the spring, hell I may slide into the garage again, haha. Or, someone may slide into me.

Basically, if I do replace the bracket on the passenger side, can I do so in my driveway with hand tools, and not remove the whole thing? And, not support it? Or will it fall on me?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
ridem high
Veteran

You can probably replace the brackets on both sides without having to completely remove the rear bumper.Just loosen all of the bolts,(leaving the bolts in the holes),and replace one of the brackets,re-install the bolts,but don't tighten the bolts to full torque,just snug them up,until the two brackets meet each other.remove the bolts on the other bracket,(being carefull,because the bumper will fall down a little bit)...Align the bumper and bracket,and install bolts.Adjust fitment,and tighten all bolts.This is how I have replaced bumpers,but keep in mind doing this yourself is at your own risk!A second set of hands will help...Allways remember safety glasses,and gloves!!!!!Thought this would help.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
rarichard

when I got rear ended, the insurance guy only gave me credit for the bracket on the side that got bent, when I ordered the replacement for $80 through dealership it came with both sides so I'll end up replacing both when it warms up and I can do it in my driveway. If you're not concerned with the ding in the bumper, you should definately be able to undo one side at a time and just use a jack or crates to prop the bumper up while you swap brackets. It does look a little tight so I was planning on using an air rachet to not need any room for the socket wrench.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:10 PM
gutty96
Veteran

$100 Canadian for the brackets, they will be in tomorrow. I think I will wait until it is warmer before I do anything. Since I will be getting both sides, I figure I should replace both.

Also, for $400 I can get a new bumper, painted to match the truck. Not bad really, then I don't have to worry about pulling/banging out the dent and repainting another spot I got hit.

Not going to worry about the replacing the bumper until spring/summer as I could slide into something else, or someone else slide into me.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
gutty96
Veteran

It warmed up enough for me to crawl under the truck yesterday.

I started to loosen all the bolts in preperation for swapping the bracket on the damaged side.

However, once everything was loose, I realized I could manipulate the bumper to "relatively" the right position, so it at least, for the most part looks even with the driver's side corner. Then I just started spacing things out with washers until it was all tight, and as even as could get it. Looks far better then it did before I started, as the plastic step cover is not rubbing into the box anymore, and the tailpipe is not sticking out and inch more then the drivers side either.

So no need to use the new brackets, the wife can hopefully return them tomorrow when she goes to the dealership to see why the radio in her Jeep GC just stopped working on Friday (any ideas?)

Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by gutty96
It warmed up enough for me to crawl under the truck yesterday.

I started to loosen all the bolts in preperation for swapping the bracket on the damaged side.

However, once everything was loose, I realized I could manipulate the bumper to "relatively" the right position, so it at least, for the most part looks even with the driver's side corner. Then I just started spacing things out with washers until it was all tight, and as even as could get it. Looks far better then it did before I started, as the plastic step cover is not rubbing into the box anymore, and the tailpipe is not sticking out and inch more then the drivers side either.

So no need to use the new brackets, the wife can hopefully return them tomorrow when she goes to the dealership to see why the radio in her Jeep GC just stopped working on Friday (any ideas?)
Uhhh, maybe you should have done that before you bought the brackets,
now your dealer will probably charge you a "restocking fee" and rightfully so.

Quick Reply: Adjust rear bumper?