4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back-up Camera problem?

Old 01-07-2016, 02:31 PM
xsparta11x
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleB1
My camera looks like that now, too. Like yours, I cannot see anything in the dark and it will back you into another car on the right side before it shows you are that close to it. It is just about useless in the dark. I was rear-ended and when the repair shop took the tailgate off for the second time to get the paint right, this is what I ended up with. It was fine before they took it off the second time. I took it to the Dodge dealer to get them to look at it and I was told by the people that set the appointments and take the truck in that the casing was probably screwed in wrong and the camera was pointing incorrectly because of it. After keeping my truck all day they called to tell me that they compared the view to a couple of other trucks and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it,said it was just a few millimeters off and did not need any repair in their opinion. It was crystal clear before so I would have to say your camera is not installed correctly. Just my opinion, after being told this by the Dealership, prior to having the other repair shop talk to them. You might try taking yours out and re-installing it to see if that helps.
Wow wish I saw this sooner then now. I worked in the 12 volt industry for 10 years and know exactly what the problem is. its actually a 3 part problem that all play a factor and end up causing a chain reaction.
problem 1. The backup camera receives its power from the backup Lights. When you put the truck in reverse, the camera turns on and the auto input sensing screen switches to the new active input. That is fine and dandy when a vehicle works of off a constant 12volt with little to no change in impedance throughout its life. Chrysler vehicles use a canbus system to tell if a light bulb is burnt our along with alot of other things. It does this by sending a flash of increase impedance every so often to see how the bulb reacts. If the computer doesn't see the change it is looking for in the amount resistance when it flashes the change, it thinks the bulb is out.

Anyways, This can cause chaos in electronics causing all kinds of problems. They way you fix it is with capacitors and resistors in between the electronics and the power source. Over time as resistors and capacitors wear out, I kept seeing this issue in backup cameras, fuzzy pictures especially at night time, but sometimes there were weird things like "When I press on the brake while reversing, the lines go away." for example. This is because when the computer sees that the light has become active, it doesn't need to check to see if it is working so it stops the resistance check.

Over time failing resistors and capacitors also cause problems in electronics which can make things more permanent. On top of that, If you open your tailgate and look in the crack in between the bed and your tailgate, you will see the wire run for the camera, I have seen this wire damaged in a TON of vehicles from normal wear and tear of someone who uses a truck as a truck.
long story short, electronics going bad. Replace the wire and the camera, issue goes away. sorry if that was overly long.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:08 PM
DaleB1

Originally Posted by xsparta11x
Wow wish I saw this sooner then now. I worked in the 12 volt industry for 10 years and know exactly what the problem is. its actually a 3 part problem that all play a factor and end up causing a chain reaction.
problem 1. The backup camera receives its power from the backup Lights. When you put the truck in reverse, the camera turns on and the auto input sensing screen switches to the new active input. That is fine and dandy when a vehicle works of off a constant 12volt with little to no change in impedance throughout its life. Chrysler vehicles use a canbus system to tell if a light bulb is burnt our along with alot of other things. It does this by sending a flash of increase impedance every so often to see how the bulb reacts. If the computer doesn't see the change it is looking for in the amount resistance when it flashes the change, it thinks the bulb is out.

Anyways, This can cause chaos in electronics causing all kinds of problems. They way you fix it is with capacitors and resistors in between the electronics and the power source. Over time as resistors and capacitors wear out, I kept seeing this issue in backup cameras, fuzzy pictures especially at night time, but sometimes there were weird things like "When I press on the brake while reversing, the lines go away." for example. This is because when the computer sees that the light has become active, it doesn't need to check to see if it is working so it stops the resistance check.

Over time failing resistors and capacitors also cause problems in electronics which can make things more permanent. On top of that, If you open your tailgate and look in the crack in between the bed and your tailgate, you will see the wire run for the camera, I have seen this wire damaged in a TON of vehicles from normal wear and tear of someone who uses a truck as a truck.
long story short, electronics going bad. Replace the wire and the camera, issue goes away. sorry if that was overly long.
Thank you for that information! I just picked up my truck from Bay Dodge in Panama City Florida. I tried to show them your information and the first thing out of their mouth was is this from Dodge? I said this is from the Dodge forum. They refused to look at it or even consider the information. They were too busy to talk to me standing on the phone on hold while I was trying to talk to them. I asked for the owner of the dealership who is currently running for a Senate seat and was told he was too busy. Ain't life grand

Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The camera does not get it voltage from the back up lights. The 12VDC come from the TIPM via fuse #33 (20 amps). The signal is called TRAILER TOW IGNITION FEED (TIPM connector C6 pin F6).

You either have bad wiring or a defective camera or both.

The Camera itself has five wires coming/going.

1- From TIPM = TRAILER TOW IGNITION FEED (12 VDC)
2- To Chassis Ground
3- To radio = CAMERA RETURN
4- To radio = CAMERA SIGNAL
5- To radio = CAMERA SHIELD

One can look up the wiring here.

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

Old 01-07-2016, 09:00 PM
DaleB1

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
The camera does not get it voltage from the back up lights. The 12VDC come from the TIPM via fuse #33 (20 amps). The signal is called TRAILER TOW IGNITION FEED (TIPM connector C6 pin F6).

2- To Chassis Ground

With the wiring coming from the tow wiring, that makes sense, as well, because they supposedly replaced part of the hitch .

Either way, they are saying there is nothing wrong with it and won't fix it.
Maybe I need to call the TV station and see if they can get something done.I really appreciate everyone's help.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:00 AM
xsparta11x
Professional

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog

2- To Chassis Ground

Sorry for the misinformation, you are correct pedrodog.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Aly

the reason for your question is :
1. the PAL/NTSC of your camera is right choice ? for example , NTSC used in USA , if use a PAL camera ,it May appear the issue you mentioned. PAL use we'll in European country.

2. the camera not work well at night due to bad illumination function.
I got a backup camera for my Dodge Promaster from this vendor, so far so good.
https://brakelightcamera.com/product...dge-promaster/

Old 11-30-2016, 07:11 AM
Aly

I know there are some users on here with HID reverse lights, I don't know if these guys have cameras but do they have the same issue

Old 12-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are not day/night cameras, They are low-light cameras.
They dont work with very low light (I have very dark taillight covers) Once I installed a aux light it worked again, Removed covers for winter and prefect.
No issues in the freezing cold, Snow, Ice, Rain, or hot days with mine.

The line issue, if not present when on the normal radio screen, can only come down to a Ground or Camera issue really. Since its a hardwired connection that suppose to be shielded, interference shouldn't be a issue (unless not grounded)

Old 08-07-2020, 12:31 PM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having the same issue. Either black or a wobbly looking streaky image. Found out that pushing down on the wire that goes up into the tailgate and then shutting the gate fixed the problem for me. I'm assuming that the wire is getting pinched between the gate and the body. If you look, that wire bundle gets pulled through there and it is really tight. All you need is a rock or wood chip to get jammed in there and that cable is gonna be toast. They should bring that through in the tailgate sides where you won't be pinching it. Or make it Bluetooth to the head unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back-up Camera problem?