4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Where are all the Hemi Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM
evan4434
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are all the Hemi Problems

Guys I have not been a big gasser fan I have owned 5.9 cummins and one 6.7 cummins diesel for the past 11 years. That was up until I had a ton of issues with my 6.7. Long story but about $5K over time out of my pocket mostly emissions and tranny (G56).

So in a last ditch effort and after trying to sell my 6.7 for 6 months I traded it off for this 2009 VVT hemi 2500. I know it is a 3rd gen truck, but it has the 4th gen motor and that is why I posted in this section. I have the build sheet that says it is 383 hp 400 torque.

Anyways I am use to reading about tons of issues with the 6.7 on other sties. I cannot find any or very few issues with the hemi or the rest of the powertrain.

Is this true are there really that few of issues, are they really that good?

Some of the things I have read are.
Exhaust manifold bolts breaking.
Non VVT Valve springs breaking.

To me this are VERY minor issues compared to the cost and issues I had with my 6.7. I use to pull more then 10K lbs, but now I only pull about 8K lbs. I will give this truck credit it pulls it very easily, and gets 10 - 11 mpg and 15 - 16 mpg empty. I may end up keeping this thing for a while, so I kind of want to know what to expect. Please don't BS me just give me the honest truth about how good or bad the powertrain is as far as reliability. That is all I care about how much it will take to keep it on the road.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, it's a shame the 6.7 isn't proving to be the tank the 5.9 was (thank you govt. and stupid emission standards)! I almost pulled the trigger on trading in my '04 on a brand new '06 when they first hit the lots in late '05, but I had just lifted my '04 and put 35" meats on it to the combined tune of over $3000 and didn't want to take a bath on that mod money. Kinda wish I had now, was the cream of the 5.9 crop!

I have more than a couple friends with 6.7s and every one of them have had issues ranging from annoyance to constant limp mode issues (and every time centered around emissions crap).

Not just us though, both Ford and GM are or have had the same problems when dealing with making a diesel engine meet new standards.

The Hemi has pretty much been solid since day one, a few growing pains like weak valve springs and such but are pretty much confined to the first model year.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-22-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:34 AM
evan4434
Professional

Man you are right about the 5.9 my best one ever was a 2004.5 with an NV5600. I had it for almost 3 years 100K miles not one issue. Had to sell it thanks to my wife, she got tired of the payments. In the end I ended up with a new 6.7 a few years later, and I won't even go into all the issues I had with it. Like you said a lot of EPA realted issues, and a bad clutch/fly wheel then my G56 went out as well and much more.

I can't see myself ever buying any new diesel again with all the EPA junk on them now a days. The 2012 2500 with a hemi are getting the same 6 speed auto that is in the 6.7, but it will be in the 545RFE housing and the 68RFE gears and it will be called a 66RFE. If I cannot get into a 5.9 again with a NV then I could see myself buying a used one of these in about 3 years or so.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/06...smissions.html

Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 PM
edmann54603

My 03 Hemi dropped valves, motor was shot. I bought a 2011, sure hope that is fixed. Mechanic here said, "oh yea, those Hemi's drop valves all the time". No one else I know owns one, so I couldn't verify that statement, but personally, my 03 hemi was junk.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
svkb
Rookie

Originally Posted by edmann54603
My 03 Hemi dropped valves, motor was shot. I bought a 2011, sure hope that is fixed. Mechanic here said, "oh yea, those Hemi's drop valves all the time". No one else I know owns one, so I couldn't verify that statement, but personally, my 03 hemi was junk.
That was an issue on the 2003 models but hasn't been a problem since as far as I know. Typical for the first year an engine comes out.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, the valve springs were too weak, would break and drop the valves, thankfully confined to the '03 and some very early '04s. One of the few times Chrysler actually stepped up to remedy a problem fairly quickly...

Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 AM
WaySlowWhitey
Rookie

Had an '05 with the 5.9L and had a ton of issues with the injectors. Dealer finally told me to drive it harder and never had any more issues. Sold it and now have an '11 5.7L and wish I had a diesel again. Have considered the 6.7 but hadn't heard about the issues. What issues are people running into?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
evan4434
Professional

If you had issues with your 5.9 and did not like it I would not even consider a 6.7. A lot of people are having issues with the emissions junk on them.

I bought a 2008 brand new, and had a ton of issues. The problem is the 6.7 have a DPF, CAT, NOX filter, and a EGR system. The DPF collects soot which then has to be burned off every 100 miles or so it all depends on your driving. This causes extra fuel to be burned in order to clean it out. The MPG on the 6.7 is VERY low in fact I think it can even be less them a hemi in a 2500 since I have owned both that is what I have experience. The other big issues is the head gaskets. I will get into that later.

To resolve some these issues you can delete the emissions equipment which is illegal and will VOID your warranty, but you mpg will go up and so will your reliability. They can cost anywhere from $600 and up. If you add any power to these 6.7 you take the chance of your head gasket going out. When they increased the bore on the 5.9 now there is less surface area between the cylinders for the gasket. Guys are putting in 625 ARP head studs, and even then some still have issues. I have even seen stock head gaskets go out.

Really it would take forever to write a post about all the issues they have as they compare to the 5.9 trucks. One other big issues is the transmissions. They use a G56 for the manuals which has a dual mass flywheel that is VERY weak (2005 and up even the 5.9 have this tranny), and cost about $1,500 to replace that and the clutch to hold even stock or slightly over stock horsepower. The Auto's seem to be better, but then again they have had issues as well it is still a Dodge tranny and you know there history on them. They are going to put the 68RFE in the hemi 2500's in 2012 and call is a 66RFE. It would be really good with the hemi if it is in a 800 lbs of torque cummins. It should hold for a long time.

Other people on other forums will tell you they are great, and you may get one that is pretty good but they don't even compare to a 5.9 when it comes to reliability. It is only a matter of time when you have emissions issues on a 6.7, and they are nothing compared to a gasser truck to fix. All the crap on them cost a ton of money to fix, and just the keep the air a little cleaner.

Here is what went out on mine.

Turbo
G56 tranny
I had to delete all my emissions crap to keep it on the road several trips to the dealer for emissions issues.
U-Joints
Drive shaft
Power window
Rear Window seal

I pulled 10K lbs all the time as well so this truck was not city driver.

I am sure I am missing a few things, but that was in 36K miles. All the new diesel trucks have these issues, so I would never buy anything other then a 5.9 or even a Ford 7.3 any year even the VP44 years. Replacing a $1,000 VP44 is nothing compared to the cost of the issues of a 6.7. I have owned 5 5.9 cummins trucks, one 6.7, and 1 hemi. I have a friend who is in the same boat as I was with his 6.7 a ton of issues and can't get it sold no one wants them. I have several other friends that still own 5.9's and will not even consider selling them after all the issues we have had with the 6.7 trucks.

Good luck, but is it really worth the extra money anymore to buy a diesel. Unless you are pulling over 10K lbs often a hemi will do the job easy with far less issues and next year you can get a 6 speed with it for far less money then a 6.7.

You can go on cumminsforums.com and check out the issues. Some guys over there really hate me, because I tell it how I see it with the 6.7. If I owned a good product I will tell you how proud I am of it, if I own a POS I will let you know that as well. Just look at the powertrain section on cumminsforums.com and see all the issues people have ever day. Then compare it to the post on this site about the hemi. You will see really quick why I now own a 5.7 2500 hemi truck.

Last edited by evan4434; 07-27-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM
jaflowers
Professional

Well my 09 1500 Hemi has 80,000 miles on it now with the only motor issue being the broken manifold bolts, which being a known issue was taken care of through the warranty/recall that Dodge put out reguarding them. Other than that it has run great from day one. Very happy I bought the truck.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional

Ya I have had a 06 Hemi and now a 09 Hemi and no issues at all. I am however having rear pinon seal issues at less then 36,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Where are all the Hemi Problems