Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 4th Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


4th Gen Ram Tech 2009+ and up Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 and up Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 power wagon 2500 tow hitch rating

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 PM
aquaholic_ aquaholic_ is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 25
Default

they told me what the truck was rated to tow and gave me a weight recomendation. my question was what is the rating of the hitch. it doesn't even matter at this point i ordered the draw tite 41929 for the back and the draw tite 65057 for the front. i cant put my life in the hands of some brain dead ***** at dodge. and for the record, they didn't tell me i could tow 10k with that hitch. they told me i could tow 10k with the truck.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
__________________
2011 Power Wagon 2500
hemi, auto trans, 4.56 gears
black and white
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM
BigBlueEdge's Avatar
BigBlueEdge BigBlueEdge is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: '10 Sport crew 4x4
Location: MN
Posts: 1,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic_ View Post
they told me what the truck was rated to tow and gave me a weight recomendation. my question was what is the rating of the hitch. it doesn't even matter at this point i ordered the draw tite 41929 for the back and the draw tite 65057 for the front. i cant put my life in the hands of some brain dead ***** at dodge. and for the record, they didn't tell me i could tow 10k with that hitch. they told me i could tow 10k with the truck.
I guess I just don't get where you're coming from. If the 'truck' is rated to tow 10,000 lb., then that includes all elements that make up the truck - wheels, springs, transmission, and, yes, hitch. If the truck is only rated to tow 10,000 it's unlikely that you'll tow more (because who knows what else would fail first?), so if the hitch actually could handle 11,000 in other applications it really doesn't matter - it's not going to help here. The hitch certainly is rated at at least 10,000 or they wouldn't use it. So where does your frustration come from? Replacing the hitch isn't going to increase your towing capacity.

Just confused...

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-10-2011, 01:56 AM
frogslinger's Avatar
frogslinger frogslinger is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2010 F-150 Raptor; 2009 G8 GT
Location: Dyess, TX
Posts: 639
Send a message via Yahoo to frogslinger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge View Post
I guess I just don't get where you're coming from. If the 'truck' is rated to tow 10,000 lb., then that includes all elements that make up the truck - wheels, springs, transmission, and, yes, hitch. If the truck is only rated to tow 10,000 it's unlikely that you'll tow more (because who knows what else would fail first?), so if the hitch actually could handle 11,000 in other applications it really doesn't matter - it's not going to help here. The hitch certainly is rated at at least 10,000 or they wouldn't use it. So where does your frustration come from? Replacing the hitch isn't going to increase your towing capacity.

Just confused...

Rob
This is not technically true. You can often buy a truck rated to tow way more than the hitch is rated at. For example most 2/3500 series are listed at what they are rated to tow with a 5th wheel. Adding this equipment will not change tow rating, but it will change what the truck can tow as equipped from the factory. You can tow 10K with my 1500 on a weight carrying (as opposed to distributing) hitch, so long as it is aftermarket.

All that said, the stock towing on a power wagon is not great. That is really not it's intended purpose.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Owensue Owensue is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2011. Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 474
Default

The tongue weight on the factory hitch is 1200lbs, so buy the weight distribution bars and keep the stock hitch because they are rated the same. (it's not needed for loads under 5000lbs).

Under the chart in the PDF linked are the 'fine points'
Save your $$$
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM
BigBlueEdge's Avatar
BigBlueEdge BigBlueEdge is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: '10 Sport crew 4x4
Location: MN
Posts: 1,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogslinger View Post
This is not technically true. You can often buy a truck rated to tow way more than the hitch is rated at. For example most 2/3500 series are listed at what they are rated to tow with a 5th wheel. Adding this equipment will not change tow rating, but it will change what the truck can tow as equipped from the factory. You can tow 10K with my 1500 on a weight carrying (as opposed to distributing) hitch, so long as it is aftermarket.

All that said, the stock towing on a power wagon is not great. That is really not it's intended purpose.
What you say about the ratings is true, but in those cases the manufacturer always includes information about what extra/upgraded equipment is required to tow those higher loads. Such as:

Quote:
4. The maximum trailer weight is 5,000 pounds for a weight-carrying hitch. A weight distributing system is recommended for trailers over 5,000 pounds. A fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch is required for trailers over 12,000 pounds.
*That's a generic note from the Dodge towing PDF that probably applies to the regular 2500 or 3500.

Even if you buy a hitch with a higher rating, it isn't going to change the towing characteristics of the RAM. The truck needs weight distributing hardware to go over 5000 on the rear hitch, even if your replacement hitch is stronger. It's about vehicle dynamics in this case, not overall strength of materials.

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 PM
aquaholic_ aquaholic_ is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 25
Default

i give up. please let this thread die so nobody reads this insanity.
__________________
2011 Power Wagon 2500
hemi, auto trans, 4.56 gears
black and white

Last edited by aquaholic_; 09-12-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
BigBlueEdge's Avatar
BigBlueEdge BigBlueEdge is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: '10 Sport crew 4x4
Location: MN
Posts: 1,279
Default

Sorry to have tried to help. I'll try to avoid that in the future.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails