Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 4th Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

4th Gen Ram Tech 2009+ and up Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 and up Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 power wagon 2500 tow hitch rating

Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Amateur

they told me what the truck was rated to tow and gave me a weight recomendation. my question was what is the rating of the hitch. it doesn't even matter at this point i ordered the draw tite 41929 for the back and the draw tite 65057 for the front. i cant put my life in the hands of some brain dead ***** at dodge. and for the record, they didn't tell me i could tow 10k with that hitch. they told me i could tow 10k with the truck.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: '10 Sport crew 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic_ View Post
they told me what the truck was rated to tow and gave me a weight recomendation. my question was what is the rating of the hitch. it doesn't even matter at this point i ordered the draw tite 41929 for the back and the draw tite 65057 for the front. i cant put my life in the hands of some brain dead ***** at dodge. and for the record, they didn't tell me i could tow 10k with that hitch. they told me i could tow 10k with the truck.
I guess I just don't get where you're coming from. If the 'truck' is rated to tow 10,000 lb., then that includes all elements that make up the truck - wheels, springs, transmission, and, yes, hitch. If the truck is only rated to tow 10,000 it's unlikely that you'll tow more (because who knows what else would fail first?), so if the hitch actually could handle 11,000 in other applications it really doesn't matter - it's not going to help here. The hitch certainly is rated at at least 10,000 or they wouldn't use it. So where does your frustration come from? Replacing the hitch isn't going to increase your towing capacity.

Just confused...

Rob
Old 09-10-2011, 01:56 AM
Captain

Vehicle: 2010 F-150 Raptor; 2009 G8 GT
Send a message via Yahoo to frogslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge View Post
I guess I just don't get where you're coming from. If the 'truck' is rated to tow 10,000 lb., then that includes all elements that make up the truck - wheels, springs, transmission, and, yes, hitch. If the truck is only rated to tow 10,000 it's unlikely that you'll tow more (because who knows what else would fail first?), so if the hitch actually could handle 11,000 in other applications it really doesn't matter - it's not going to help here. The hitch certainly is rated at at least 10,000 or they wouldn't use it. So where does your frustration come from? Replacing the hitch isn't going to increase your towing capacity.

Just confused...

Rob
This is not technically true. You can often buy a truck rated to tow way more than the hitch is rated at. For example most 2/3500 series are listed at what they are rated to tow with a 5th wheel. Adding this equipment will not change tow rating, but it will change what the truck can tow as equipped from the factory. You can tow 10K with my 1500 on a weight carrying (as opposed to distributing) hitch, so long as it is aftermarket.

All that said, the stock towing on a power wagon is not great. That is really not it's intended purpose.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Veteran

Vehicle: 2011. Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

The tongue weight on the factory hitch is 1200lbs, so buy the weight distribution bars and keep the stock hitch because they are rated the same. (it's not needed for loads under 5000lbs).

Under the chart in the PDF linked are the 'fine points'
Save your $$$
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Record Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogslinger View Post
This is not technically true. You can often buy a truck rated to tow way more than the hitch is rated at. For example most 2/3500 series are listed at what they are rated to tow with a 5th wheel. Adding this equipment will not change tow rating, but it will change what the truck can tow as equipped from the factory. You can tow 10K with my 1500 on a weight carrying (as opposed to distributing) hitch, so long as it is aftermarket.

All that said, the stock towing on a power wagon is not great. That is really not it's intended purpose.
What you say about the ratings is true, but in those cases the manufacturer always includes information about what extra/upgraded equipment is required to tow those higher loads. Such as:

Quote:
4. The maximum trailer weight is 5,000 pounds for a weight-carrying hitch. A weight distributing system is recommended for trailers over 5,000 pounds. A fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch is required for trailers over 12,000 pounds.
*That's a generic note from the Dodge towing PDF that probably applies to the regular 2500 or 3500.

Even if you buy a hitch with a higher rating, it isn't going to change the towing characteristics of the RAM. The truck needs weight distributing hardware to go over 5000 on the rear hitch, even if your replacement hitch is stronger. It's about vehicle dynamics in this case, not overall strength of materials.

Rob
Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Amateur

i give up. please let this thread die so nobody reads this insanity.

Last edited by aquaholic_; 09-12-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Record Breaker

Sorry to have tried to help. I'll try to avoid that in the future.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM