Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 4th Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

4th Gen Ram Tech 2009+ and up Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 and up Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 power wagon 2500 tow hitch rating

Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Amateur

Default 2011 power wagon 2500 tow hitch rating

anyone know what the factory tow hitch is rated for without the use of weight distribution bars? there's no sticker or stamp on the hitch.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 2010 ram 2500 trx

not trying to be a smart ***, but ALOT. i towed a trailer loaded with bricks once with my 1500 and got sag, i've done a little more with my 2500 now and no problems at all
2010 2500 TRX4, crystal black/ mineral tan fenders. 18" moto metal black 957s w/ terra grapplers. 30% front tint, 10% rear half. recon smoked tails, recon xtreme bar, bushwacker pocket flares, mopar 2" leveling kit +leaf in rear, bilsteins all around, mopar steering stabilizer, 5khid fogs and heads, afe intake, train horn
Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Record Breaker

the trucks rated at like 22,000 lb for towing, so i'm sure the hitch that came with it is right on par
2010 2500 TRX4, crystal black/ mineral tan fenders. 18" moto metal black 957s w/ terra grapplers. 30% front tint, 10% rear half. recon smoked tails, recon xtreme bar, bushwacker pocket flares, mopar 2" leveling kit +leaf in rear, bilsteins all around, mopar steering stabilizer, 5khid fogs and heads, afe intake, train horn
Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: '10 Sport crew 4x4

According to the RAM detailed towing chart, the Power Wagon (with Hemi and 5-speed transmission) has a Class IV hitch. Towing without weight distributing hitch gets you a max of 5000 lb trailer weight. See p.5, note #4 in the following PDF:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/shared/pdf/..._Tow_Chart.pdf

mdram43: The 2500 does not have a 22,000 lb towing capacity, even the non-PowerWagon trims with diesel. That capacity is for a 3500. Perhaps you were thinking of GCWR?

Rob
Old 09-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Amateur

thanks bigblueedge. thats the chart i was looking for. i could tell by looking at that factory hitch that there was no way it was rated for 10,100 lbs. it was just not characteristic of a weight distributing hitch. chevy does the same thing on their 2500's. i'm just going to buy another draw tite ultra frame weight distributing hitch like i put on my chevy. it eliminates the use of weight distribution bars for the most part. here's the specs on the hitch if anybody is interested.

Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch

Specially designed to meet your heavy-duty towing needs, this fully welded, corrosion-resistant vehicle trailer hitch receiver features Draw-Tite's Tested Tough guarantee, ensuring performance that exceeds industry standards.

Specs:
  • Receiver opening: 2" x 2"
  • Rating: Class IV
    • Maximum gross trailer weight: 10,000 lbs
      • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 12,000 lbs
    • Maximum tongue weight: 1,000 lbs
      • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 1,200 lbs

Last edited by aquaholic_; 09-06-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Record Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge View Post
According to the RAM detailed towing chart, the Power Wagon (with Hemi and 5-speed transmission) has a Class IV hitch. Towing without weight distributing hitch gets you a max of 5000 lb trailer weight. See p.5, note #4 in the following PDF:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/shared/pdf/..._Tow_Chart.pdf

mdram43: The 2500 does not have a 22,000 lb towing capacity, even the non-PowerWagon trims with diesel. That capacity is for a 3500. Perhaps you were thinking of GCWR?

Rob
you arent kidding! i've read all these articles and things online, where they talk about the 2500 and 3500s at the same time, that info was all directed at the 3500. those sneaky bastards. what a let down that is, not like id ever be up that high anyways, but just amazing how a lack of specifying can throw an entire write up off
Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Amateur

i dont have a problem with dodge putting a light weight hitch on the truck from the factory. what i do have several issues with is the fact that the info is not stamped on the hitch like everyone elses. here is the answer i just received from chrysler 5 minutes ago. i love the fact that these jagoffs totally danced around a direct answer to my question. here was my question and their answer.

what is the factory rear tow hitch/tongue weight rating with and without weight distribution bars?

The maximum trailer weight this vehicle can tow is 10,100 lbs. Maximum
trailer weight includes cargo and fluids in the trailer and must be
decreased by the weight of optional equipment, cargo inside/outside the
vehicle and passengers. A weight distributing system is recommended for
trailers over 5,000 pounds.

I hope this information further assists with your inquiry.

Thanks again for your email, Gene.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Customer Service Representative
Ram Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER:
EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 2618848

Last edited by aquaholic_; 09-06-2011 at 04:31 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Record Breaker

it definitely leaves you in the dark. and I understand your worry, I screwed up my 04 1500 hauling too much. had a pallet of stone in the bed, then the trailer with another pallet. (both loads sitting on top of axles. driving that weight several miles at city and highway speeds screwed up the drive train and it had clunking and jerking after that. So i had to get rid of it before it died on me. and that thing had a helper spring too.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Record Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic_ View Post
i dont have a problem with dodge putting a light weight hitch on the truck from the factory. what i do have several issues with is the fact that the info is not stamped on the hitch like everyone elses. here is the answer i just received from chrysler 5 minutes ago. i love the fact that these jagoffs totally danced around a direct answer to my question. here was my question and their answer.

what is the factory rear tow hitch/tongue weight rating with and without weight distribution bars?

The maximum trailer weight this vehicle can tow is 10,100 lbs. Maximum
trailer weight includes cargo and fluids in the trailer and must be
decreased by the weight of optional equipment, cargo inside/outside the
vehicle and passengers. A weight distributing system is recommended for
trailers over 5,000 pounds.

I hope this information further assists with your inquiry.

Thanks again for your email, Gene.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Customer Service Representative
Ram Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER:
EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 2618848
I guess I don't see the problem with their response. They gave you the ratings for with and without weight distributing hitch setup and they advised you, correctly, that max weights must take into account weight of other cargo in the vehicle. I see they didn't mention tongue weights. Beyond that, what else were you looking for them to tell you?

Rob
Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Captain

Vehicle: 2010 F-150 Raptor; 2009 G8 GT
Send a message via Yahoo to frogslinger

tongue weight is generally always .1 of trailer weight. You can tow 10k lbs with the stock hitch. On a dodge you want to go with a truck with no factory receiver and add your own. Costs about the same and you get a much better quality product. IIRC all HDs have a receiver though.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Amateur

they told me what the truck was rated to tow and gave me a weight recomendation. my question was what is the rating of the hitch. it doesn't even matter at this point i ordered the draw tite 41929 for the back and the draw tite 65057 for the front. i cant put my life in the hands of some brain dead ***** at dodge. and for the record, they didn't tell me i could tow 10k with that hitch. they told me i could tow 10k with the truck.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Record Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic_ View Post
they told me what the truck was rated to tow and gave me a weight recomendation. my question was what is the rating of the hitch. it doesn't even matter at this point i ordered the draw tite 41929 for the back and the draw tite 65057 for the front. i cant put my life in the hands of some brain dead ***** at dodge. and for the record, they didn't tell me i could tow 10k with that hitch. they told me i could tow 10k with the truck.
I guess I just don't get where you're coming from. If the 'truck' is rated to tow 10,000 lb., then that includes all elements that make up the truck - wheels, springs, transmission, and, yes, hitch. If the truck is only rated to tow 10,000 it's unlikely that you'll tow more (because who knows what else would fail first?), so if the hitch actually could handle 11,000 in other applications it really doesn't matter - it's not going to help here. The hitch certainly is rated at at least 10,000 or they wouldn't use it. So where does your frustration come from? Replacing the hitch isn't going to increase your towing capacity.

Just confused...

Rob
Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Captain

Vehicle: 2010 F-150 Raptor; 2009 G8 GT
Send a message via Yahoo to frogslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge View Post
I guess I just don't get where you're coming from. If the 'truck' is rated to tow 10,000 lb., then that includes all elements that make up the truck - wheels, springs, transmission, and, yes, hitch. If the truck is only rated to tow 10,000 it's unlikely that you'll tow more (because who knows what else would fail first?), so if the hitch actually could handle 11,000 in other applications it really doesn't matter - it's not going to help here. The hitch certainly is rated at at least 10,000 or they wouldn't use it. So where does your frustration come from? Replacing the hitch isn't going to increase your towing capacity.

Just confused...

Rob
This is not technically true. You can often buy a truck rated to tow way more than the hitch is rated at. For example most 2/3500 series are listed at what they are rated to tow with a 5th wheel. Adding this equipment will not change tow rating, but it will change what the truck can tow as equipped from the factory. You can tow 10K with my 1500 on a weight carrying (as opposed to distributing) hitch, so long as it is aftermarket.

All that said, the stock towing on a power wagon is not great. That is really not it's intended purpose.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Veteran

Vehicle: 2011. Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

The tongue weight on the factory hitch is 1200lbs, so buy the weight distribution bars and keep the stock hitch because they are rated the same. (it's not needed for loads under 5000lbs).

Under the chart in the PDF linked are the 'fine points'
Save your $$$
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Record Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogslinger View Post
This is not technically true. You can often buy a truck rated to tow way more than the hitch is rated at. For example most 2/3500 series are listed at what they are rated to tow with a 5th wheel. Adding this equipment will not change tow rating, but it will change what the truck can tow as equipped from the factory. You can tow 10K with my 1500 on a weight carrying (as opposed to distributing) hitch, so long as it is aftermarket.

All that said, the stock towing on a power wagon is not great. That is really not it's intended purpose.
What you say about the ratings is true, but in those cases the manufacturer always includes information about what extra/upgraded equipment is required to tow those higher loads. Such as:

Quote:
4. The maximum trailer weight is 5,000 pounds for a weight-carrying hitch. A weight distributing system is recommended for trailers over 5,000 pounds. A fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch is required for trailers over 12,000 pounds.
*That's a generic note from the Dodge towing PDF that probably applies to the regular 2500 or 3500.

Even if you buy a hitch with a higher rating, it isn't going to change the towing characteristics of the RAM. The truck needs weight distributing hardware to go over 5000 on the rear hitch, even if your replacement hitch is stronger. It's about vehicle dynamics in this case, not overall strength of materials.

Rob
Old 09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Amateur

i give up. please let this thread die so nobody reads this insanity.

Last edited by aquaholic_; 09-12-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Record Breaker

Sorry to have tried to help. I'll try to avoid that in the future.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM