4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

What is a TIPM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Ironhead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a TIPM?

I know it's a totally intergrated power module, but is it the entire fuse box or something in it? Had the airbag light on so I took it to the dealer. They had to replace the TIPM.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, TIPM = Totally Integrated Power Module = a way to have to pay $900 when a light goes out after your warranty is up vs. putting in a 20 cent fuse or a $4 relay...

It also makes doing most electrical sh*t very hard. I've got relays wired to relays in my truck so I can share single factory switches for things like off-road lights, cab lights, lights to aftermarket gauges. That's a thing of the past with TIPM.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yes, TIPM = Totally Integrated Power Module = a way to have to pay $900 when a light goes out after your warranty is up vs. putting in a 20 cent fuse or a $4 relay...

It also makes doing most electrical sh*t very hard. I've got relays wired to relays in my truck so I can share single factory switches for things like off-road lights, cab lights, lights to aftermarket gauges. That's a thing of the past with TIPM.

For the most part it is just the box with all the relays and fuses in it. You can tap into shared wires the same way as with any fuse box, the harnesses all enter the TIPM from the bottom.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Boo Radley
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
For the most part it is just the box with all the relays and fuses in it. You can tap into shared wires the same way as with any fuse box, the harnesses all enter the TIPM from the bottom.
not really these things are about all integrated circuits now. in the five years i worked at the dealership i bet i replaced about 100 of them and yeah they are about $900. from a tech standpoint its great headlight out and its not the bulb replace tipm, brake light out and its not the bulb replace the tipm.
somebody installs a light and taps into the fog light power and it pulls too many amps and instead of it frying a dime fuse it fries the tipm

the plus side is you can use the scan tool to set your accessories in all sorts of configurations. everybody wants fogs on with high beams is no problem just click a setting. its all computer controlled now.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt technology just great...????
Now they can make you pay, and pay, and pay, and pay, and pay, and pay.....
Its a win win for them, but a loss loss for you...!!!!!!!!!!!
This is why i`ve been preachin to all the younger guys, DONT GO BOLTING STUFF ON YOUR VEHICLES ANYMORE, IT`LL COST YOU DEARLY IF YOU DO...!!!!! Say good-bye to aftermarket add-on`s (ie lighting, stereo power amps, on and on...!!!!) If you HAVE to add on accessories, do it the smart way, add/build a fuse box of your own, just off the battery. Dont go pluggin anything into any factory things unless you got $900 bucks you wanna throw away for nothing on a new TIPM, especially if the warranty is up on your vehicle. Trust me, today they know if a module has been over loaded...!

Ok, now where`d i park my horse and buggy damit. Oh crap, its time to feed the horse too

Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
DougBeaverAK907

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

-The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is a lot more than the fuse box it appears to be. It is responsible for a lot of the power switching/modulation/distribution, and communications with other systems in the JK electrical system.
New TIPMs go for $200 - $250. Used can be found for $0 - $200; very negotiable. After replacing the TIPM, it may need to be programmed to the vehicle. As far as I know, only the dealer can do the programming.
This is from the factory service manual:

Old 04-13-2016, 04:05 PM
tanajo66

Make you wonder why there isn't a recall to have to replace the TIPM. Having to replace mine which originally thought a brake light was out. Nope! Brake light would randomly work, glad I didn't cause an accident. Made a complaint with the NHTSA

Old 04-14-2016, 04:42 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tanajo66
Make you wonder why there isn't a recall to have to replace the TIPM. Having to replace mine which originally thought a brake light was out. Nope! Brake light would randomly work, glad I didn't cause an accident. Made a complaint with the NHTSA

Please don't wake up 4 year old threads. If you have a problem, start a new one.

Quick Reply: What is a TIPM?