4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 Ram 1500 transmission/mds problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue between 35-45 mph.
Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
I think they might have re-tuned something to add more compression braking recently. I noticed something different about its behavior after my truck was in the shop for the tie rod and HVAC recalls. I had also unflashed and reflashed with my Superchips for that service, so I thought it may have been something related to the latest SC tune, but now that this discussion comes up I wonder if it wasn't Dodge's latest flash that I got with the HVAC recall?

They've certainly done nothing to address the funky behavior at 35-45mph speeds (top gear, MDS, drone/shudder). Oh well.

Rob

Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

Originally Posted by frogslinger
Tge oil change is triggered off of total engine load not off of the tow haul switch
I've been told, that the amount of towing done, will be taken into consideration, when the ECM calculates the need for a change. And that it does this by monitoring the Tow/Haul function.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
Not to get to far off the thread/post here....BUT...!!!!!
I was shown at the dealership last friday, chrysler "now has" software that CAN NOW tell them that you`ve had a programmer on your trucks and cars. (EVEN if you`ve removed the programmer..!) Ther goes your warranty boys..! Bash on me all you want, and tell me its not true, i saw the proof first hand...! Personally i dont blame the manufactuer(s) for finding ways to keep people from screwing them by destroying their trucks/cars and expect the manufactuer to fix them for free after people have abused and beat the hell out of them by adding tuners and modifying them. You gotta ask yourself, if it were YOUR company, would you want the customer screwing YOU and YOU fixing everything for free for them, especially when it isnt YOUR fault for the problem and the customer caused it...??? I`m not 100 percent for the manufactuers, but really, if you break something and it was YOU that caused the problem, then take the hit for it and dont cry about the manufactuers catching you.
Well to be completely honest...your right to a slim extent, but this software has been around for awhile now... It depends on the dealer, it doesn't void everybit of your warranty. If the Proggramer caused the problem sure they can deny you. They can't deny my warranty for my rear window that stopped working bc I have a programmer..just FYI...most of us who buy programmers know of the fact it voids part of your warranty, but to be honest, id rather have a tech. At a local shop work on my truck (or myself) lthen rely on the stealership to touch my truck...IMHO.

Here's a heads up...come ride in my RAM with it tuned with superchips n see how much smoother it shifts than a stock ram... :-D

Old 10-19-2011, 04:05 PM
BIGAL1903
Default Star case

Originally Posted by lu229
bigal,
can you describe what this "star case" is and what it does and whats involved that you`re talking about..?
If you have any chrysler info on it, please also list it in the response.

Thanks
here is the number for the star case # s1121000005 dated 6/30/2011 have your dealerships service dept. Pull it up. It is for noise and vibration at certain speeds

Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGAL1903
here is the number for the star case # s1121000005 dated 6/30/2011 have your dealerships service dept. Pull it up. It is for noise and vibration at certain speeds
Big huge thanks BigAL, i`ll be looking into this ASAP...!!!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

This is the flash they did to mine - helped a lot, but still have a little bit. I think it changed the shift points, and how fast MDS gets engaged/didengaged. It's much improved

PCM 68057112AF

Quick Reply: 2011 Ram 1500 transmission/mds problems