4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seat Belt Light/chime issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
acmoparguy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belt Light/chime issue

Has anyone had this issue. I got into my truck today, drove about a quarter mile with my seatbelt on and then all the sudden the seat belt light came on and the chiming started. Drove a few miles, shut the truck off for a couple minutes, started it again, and now it is staying on and chiming at me all the time.

Do I have a faulty seatbelt switch or something? Anyone else had this problem?

2009 Ram QC 4x4 with around 45k miles on it.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Rocknfire
Amateur

It tells how to disable the chime in the owners manual.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
acmoparguy
Amateur

I tried that... but it didn't work. It says to put the key on with your seatbelt on and wait for the seatbelt light to go off. But, I sat like that for minutes and the light never went off. I don't want the chime and the light to be off necessarily... obviously there is something wrong in the system. I am just wondering if this has come up for anyone before and what the issue was. I assume I am going to have to take it to a dealer to have it looked at.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 AM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have anything heavy on the passenger seat. I can't remember if that makes the chime ring or just the light come on though....

Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 PM
acmoparguy
Amateur

Every day when I go to work I take a bag with me... but it isn't very heavy. When the light and chime issue came up I didn't have anything in the seat. This happened at lunch and I tried disabling it at lunch, but that didn't work either... so I just left it alone. I went to go home from work last night and the light never came back on and there was no chimming. So, I haven't had the problem since yesterday at lunch. We'll see I guess.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:56 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Might need to check the small wire harness that connects to the drivers seatbelt end. Might have slammed something into it and its either loose or the wire is partially broken.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 PM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by acmoparguy
I tried that... but it didn't work. It says to put the key on with your seatbelt on and wait for the seatbelt light to go off. But, I sat like that for minutes and the light never went off. I don't want the chime and the light to be off necessarily... obviously there is something wrong in the system. I am just wondering if this has come up for anyone before and what the issue was. I assume I am going to have to take it to a dealer to have it looked at.
get in, buckle seat belt, turn ignition to on, wiat for the seatbelt to go out, Then within 10 seconds unbuckle and buckle your seat belt and end with the seat belt buckled. Turn off
Next time you start the truck you should get a single ding sound telling you the disarm arm worked. Do it again and it resets the alarm.
Think you forgot to unbuckle/buckle the seatbelt.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 AM
LU229
Banned

Last edited by LU229; 10-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by acmoparguy
Has anyone had this issue. I got into my truck today, drove about a quarter mile with my seatbelt on and then all the sudden the seat belt light came on and the chiming started. Drove a few miles, shut the truck off for a couple minutes, started it again, and now it is staying on and chiming at me all the time.

Do I have a faulty seatbelt switch or something? Anyone else had this problem?

2009 Ram QC 4x4 with around 45k miles on it.

Thanks.
Do you have children that think your buckles look like coin slots..?
You might just have something lodged in one of your buckles.
Check ALL the seatbelts to make sure they ALL buckle up properly first.
Start your truck, then get out and go to each of them an buckle them up.
You MIGHT find that one of them got stuck possibly...it does happen, and worth a shot.
Either that, or you might just have a ghost riding with you and not know it, ghosts just ride, they dont buckle up...hehehee

Last edited by LU229; 10-27-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 PM
acmoparguy
Amateur

Nope. No kids or anything like that. Something may have been stuck, but then that ghost took it out because I tried the front seatbelts that day and buckled them and unbuckled them and it didn't help. I also tried to disable the chime by doing the procedure in the manual. Problem was is that I got in, buckled my seatbelt, turned the ignition on, and waited for the light to go out... but it never did. It was one while I was driving so I figured "why would it go out now?" So, I gave up, but about 4 hours later I got in it to go home and it was fine and has been fine since. Must have been one of those computer flukes again.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Light/chime issue