4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

anyone elses hemi burn through oil?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:32 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone elses hemi burn through oil?

so every oil change, I find I am draining about a quart less than I put in. Its consistent every oil change. Also, I've found I am having to pour oil in every now and then to bring the level and pressure back up to normal. I've never had this with any of my other rams or any other car I've ever owned, including an old chevy nova with a fully built small block.

I'm not leaking anywhere, nothing like that to explain it.

anyone else experiencing this? or should I be looking into something?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its normal for motors to use some oil. I run through between 1/2 and 3/4 of a quart every 5000 miles. Seemed like normal usage to me on a 7 quart motor. Never had any oil pressure issues, are you actually getting warning lights?

How many miles are you driving and how much oil are you going through? Also what kind of oil are you using?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:44 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

this definitely aint normal.

using mobil 1. changing the oil every 3,000 miles, which I could easily wait till 5, but I've been staying on it to avoid any problems down the road.

no warning lights, just been checking and reading my oil pressure while driving down the road.

While on the highway last night, the oil pressure gauge was reading 48 psi, so its a little low, but I just changed the oil sometime last month.

I find I have to pour like anywhere from a 5th to quarter of a quart every few weeks to keep it running at about 50 psi.

but an entire quart unaccounted for at a 3,000 mile interval, is definitely not normal

Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by mdram43

using mobil 1. changing the oil every 3,000 miles, which I could easily wait till 5, but I've been staying on it to avoid any problems down the road.

no warning lights, just been checking and reading my oil pressure while driving down the road.

While on the highway last night, the oil pressure gauge was reading 48 psi, so its a little low, but I just changed the oil sometime last month.

I find I have to pour like anywhere from a 5th to quarter of a quart every few weeks to keep it running at about 50 psi.

but an entire quart unaccounted for at a 3,000 mile interval, is definitely not normal
Figured you would say that you were using a full synthetic. Try using regular oil and see if the usage problem goes away. As for the psi 48 from 50 is no big deal and could be caused by the oil being warmer or the factory guage not really being all that accurate.

Also, what weight oil are you running - 5w20 like the factory says or 0w20?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 PM
LU229
Banned

Every hemi vehicle i`ve ever used MOBIL 1 in, did this very same thing.
Since switching to valvoline synthetic 5w20, not had a problem since.
I go 5,000 miles between oil changes, have never had to add a drop of oil.
The dip stick is barely off the full mark at every oil change. (less than 1/16inch from the full mark)
I also use the factory oil filters as well. Absolutely no more oil usage issues anymore after i quit using mobil 1..!
I`ve also noticed my oil pressure is slightly higher (62psi) and stays higher alot longer between oil changes since switching to valvoline.
I know i`ll take ALOTTA heat from mobil 1 user`s on here, but thats ok, i`ve seen what the results were between the 2 oil`s.
I`ll stick with valvoline, and by buying it, it will also support our american workers. Mobil 1 cant say that...HA HAAAAA...!!!! (lol)

PS..... and i DID check my oil pressure with a certified oil pressure guage, runs 62psi driving down the highway. (70+ cold psi)
Best oil pressure i ever saw with using mobil 1, was 55psi, and continued to drop off oil pressure as the truck became warmer.

Last edited by LU229; 11-25-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:41 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LU229
Best oil pressure i ever saw with using mobil 1, was 55psi, and continued to drop off oil pressure as the truck became warmer.

you are dead on with that

Old 11-26-2011, 07:24 AM
bigtone

You really should not be adding oil based on your pressure reading. The level really has no effect on pressure, until it drops down below the oil pickup tube. That pressure reading has alot of variables associated with it.....That being said, my 2010 Ram has 20k miles, and I notice a bit of blue exhaust when I first start it. Never noticed it before. Glad I have a nice long warranty on it...

Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed, oil pressure reading should in no way influence how much oil you put in your crankcase.

Seven and a half years, full synthetic every 6,000 miles, 52,000 miles on the clock and oil is right at the full line at every oil change so far...

Old 11-26-2011, 10:36 AM
BullyT
Professional

A small amount of oil consumption is normal. From your post it sounds like you are going through one quart between oil changes...what is your average oil change interval?

A lot of factors affect oil consumption. Ambient temperature, towing, high speed driving, manufacturing tolerances vary slightly between engines, etc.

It is important to check your oil level under the same conditions: Engine at operating temperature, truck level, and let the truck sit for 5 minutes before checking the level.

Presumably you are using the recommended 5w/20 oil. Synthetic or conventional? Whatever oil you are using, I would check manufacturer's data sheet and see what the viscosity is at operating temperature. Even though oils from different manufacturer's are all classified as 5w/20 you will see that the viscosity at operating temperature will be higher in some oils than others. For example, I noticed a small amount of oil consumption using Pennzoil Platinum 5w/20 full synthetic, but switched to Mobil 1 5w/20 for my next oil change and haven't noticed any consumption so far. The Mobil 1 has a higher viscosity at operating temperature than Pennzoil Platinum so that may account for the difference. In your case, I would check a few 5w/20 oils on line and try one with a higher viscosity rating at operating temperature. Bottom line: even though the oils are all rated within the same range, some oils are "thicker" than others.

The other thing I would try, is not to maintain the oil right at the full mark, but maintain it mid-way between the full and add mark. Some engines may use a bit of oil when it is right at the full mark, but once the level is mid-way between add and full no further consumption. I know this was recommended on some Cadillac Northstar engines which were notorious oil burners. As long as you maintain the oil level above the add mark you are fine, especially with an engine that holds 7 quarts.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:45 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by BullyT
A small amount of oil consumption is normal. From your post it sounds like you are going through one quart between oil changes...what is your average oil change interval?

A lot of factors affect oil consumption. Ambient temperature, towing, high speed driving, manufacturing tolerances vary slightly between engines, etc.

It is important to check your oil level under the same conditions: Engine at operating temperature, truck level, and let the truck sit for 5 minutes before checking the level.

Presumably you are using the recommended 5w/20 oil. Synthetic or conventional? Whatever oil you are using, I would check manufacturer's data sheet and see what the viscosity is at operating temperature. Even though oils from different manufacturer's are all classified as 5w/20 you will see that the viscosity at operating temperature will be higher in some oils than others. For example, I noticed a small amount of oil consumption using Pennzoil Platinum 5w/20 full synthetic, but switched to Mobil 1 5w/20 for my next oil change and haven't noticed any consumption so far. The Mobil 1 has a higher viscosity at operating temperature than Pennzoil Platinum so that may account for the difference. In your case, I would check a few 5w/20 oils on line and try one with a higher viscosity rating at operating temperature. Bottom line: even though the oils are all rated within the same range, some oils are "thicker" than others.

The other thing I would try, is not to maintain the oil right at the full mark, but maintain it mid-way between the full and add mark. Some engines may use a bit of oil when it is right at the full mark, but once the level is mid-way between add and full no further consumption. I know this was recommended on some Cadillac Northstar engines which were notorious oil burners. As long as you maintain the oil level above the add mark you are fine, especially with an engine that holds 7 quarts.
And you should very well add, the reason some engines need to run the level below the FULL mark, is because of crankcase volume. If the crankcase area is too full, some engines create blow-by. A bad PCV system also contributes to blow-by. If the PCV system cant keep up with the pressure inside the crankcase, the pressure has to push oil mist somewhere. Also, bad rings will cause oil consumption, but these trucks are to new for that to be happening. None of these issues are whats wrong with the hemi engine, its the oil itself thats causing the problem. After i switched to valvoline, my problems disappeared. Checking data sheets are dam good advice. People should know whats good and what works in their scenerio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone elses hemi burn through oil?