Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 4th Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

4th Gen Ram Tech 2009+ and up Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 and up Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission surge

Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Amateur
2010 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn Crew Cab
Default Transmission surge

My truck for the last few thousand miles has occasionally surged while cruising highway speeds (55-75) with the cruise set. It seems to surge foward and shift a half shift... It seems to be getting more frequent but I cant make it do it, its still sporadic. Is my convertor not locking in OD? Happened 3 times yesterday, twice at 75 and once at about 60.

Truck has 36k.

Any info would be great before I call the Dealership.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 CC

I also have a strange "surge" sometimes when accelerating under a very light load. Seems almost like a "slip", where the engine RPM goes up for a couple of seconds then catches and things are back to normal. Could that be the torque converter letting loose for a few seconds ? I only have 16K miles on mine.

It's not bad, but when it happens, it's noticeable and makes no sense at all.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRashRon View Post
My truck for the last few thousand miles has occasionally surged while cruising highway speeds (55-75) with the cruise set. It seems to surge foward and shift a half shift... It seems to be getting more frequent but I cant make it do it, its still sporadic. Is my convertor not locking in OD? Happened 3 times yesterday, twice at 75 and once at about 60.

Truck has 36k.

Any info would be great before I call the Dealership.
What dealership are you going to deal with in upstate ny (???)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Professional
2010 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2010 Ram

Mine does it once in a while. As I'm mostly highway, it seems to be the same while cruising at about 80-90 km/h and is sporadic. I mentioned it to the dealer when in for a recall but will wait and see if it continues before letting them touch my truck. It is the only complaint I have with this truck, so I will wait before warranty is due and if it persists I will follow up.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SXT, Bright Silver Metallic, Quad Cab, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, 3.55 gears, 17" rims, Line-x, Skid plates, Tow hooks, Mobile one, Mopar chrome boards, Mopar fender flares, Mopar chrome mirrors, K&N filter, Magnaflow cat-back, 18% Lumar tint, Extang tri-fold tonneau, Debadged.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 PM