4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flat tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 AM
rdculus
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tire advice

Has anyone had to change a flat on the side of the road? How did you get the rims to break free from the hubs? I had my first roadside flat the other day, took all the lug nuts off and tried for 20 mins to get the rim off, I kicked it and beat on it from the front and the back side with no luck.
Eventually I got a ride to my shop and got more tools (sledge hammer, bars etc)
With a couple big bars to pry on it and some very aggressive hammering it eventually broke free.
Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble like this? How are you supposed to change it with the tools your given? If it happened again I don't think I would attempt it roadside, probably get it towed in.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off all the rims and put some antiseize on the hub face and anywhere that it contacts the aluminum rim. You get dis similiar metal corrosion in a short amount of time.

AS for how to take them off - beating on them is the only way. I can usually break a wheel free just by kicking the tire hard with the flat of my foot. Just about knocked my kids mini cooper off the jack trying to remove one of his.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Byarosh

What my old man showed me was put the lugs back on some move forward a hair and cut the wheel. It breaks loose. Jack it back up take the lugs off. Give it a kick and it'll pop free.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
rdculus
Veteran

Originally Posted by Byarosh
What my old man showed me was put the lugs back on some move forward a hair and cut the wheel. It breaks loose. Jack it back up take the lugs off. Give it a kick and it'll pop free.
I thought of doing this after I had had already gotten it off, my flat was on the rear axle so I'm not sure if rolling it forward and back with the lugs loose would break it free or not.
Would probably work well for the front wheels though.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Byarosh

Yeah I forgot to mention it only works on front tires. As for rear....

Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
frogslinger
Captain

Works fine for the rear... Just have to turn the wheel hard enough to get a side load on the wheel.

That said, my solution is usually to bribe an FN with a RipIt

Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 PM
AFF
Rookie

I've owned over 50 trucks/cars and drove over 1,000,000 kms in my lifetime and never ever had a flat tire. I did have a wheel fly right off though two different times.
I guess Ii am due......

Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I've had that happen on older vehicles that don't get many miles and don't get tires rotated very frequently. I'm surprised it happened on a 2010 truck though. Anyway, the 'lugnuts on loosely, then move vehicle' trick should work. Don't leave them too loose... you just want enough play to allow the wheel to deflect slightly.

Rob

Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
I've had that happen on older vehicles that don't get many miles and don't get tires rotated very frequently. I'm surprised it happened on a 2010 truck though. Anyway, the 'lugnuts on loosely, then move vehicle' trick should work. Don't leave them too loose... you just want enough play to allow the wheel to deflect slightly.

Rob
Couple of mine were stuck pretty good, but the first time the rims came off was at around 47K miles when I checked the brake pads.

Last edited by oldjeep; 12-17-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the anti-seize trick. When I pulled off my two front to do my struts, a little kicking from the inside got them right off...

Quick Reply: Flat tire advice