4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Keyfob/door unlock problems

Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM
jimf5
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keyfob/door unlock problems

Hi All:
I have an early 09 1500 crew cab with the door unlock problem. I have searched the forum and could not find a difinative solution to this problem.

My dealer has tried to fix the problem, new fob, new reciever, but no go. it is to the point I have to get the "emergency key" out at least twice a week.

Last time at the dealership there was three trucks there for the same problem and in talking to the other owners it was not there first time there for the problem.

Can anyone help us with this problem and let us know what to tell the dealer.

Thank in advance for any help you can provide.

jimf5

Old 12-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimf5
Hi All:
I have an early 09 1500 crew cab with the door unlock problem. I have searched the forum and could not find a difinative solution to this problem.

My dealer has tried to fix the problem, new fob, new reciever, but no go. it is to the point I have to get the "emergency key" out at least twice a week.

Last time at the dealership there was three trucks there for the same problem and in talking to the other owners it was not there first time there for the problem.

Can anyone help us with this problem and let us know what to tell the dealer.

Thank in advance for any help you can provide.

jimf5
can you explain what this door unlock problem is and what is it doing exactly? Would help us understand just a little bit better!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:16 PM
RamTRX
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate769
can you explain what this door unlock problem is and what is it doing exactly? Would help us understand just a little bit better!

I have the same issue. Well with mine, you press the unlock button on the fob and it doesn't respond. The truck doesn't do anything. You can be standing right next to it, and it won't do jack. If you keep pressing like 5 or 6 times, then it will probably unlock.

I read somewhere on here that one of the solutions is to change the battery in the keyfob, and that the stock ones that came with it, are ****. I haven;t tried it, but I will be changing the battery on both fobs.

Try it and see if it solves the issue.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:21 PM
jawsdc
Veteran

the most prevalent "fix" for the issue seems to be prying up the 4 prong contact, on the negative pole side of the battery, inside the key fob. in theory, it provides a more constant contact.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

mine has done this 2x now. First time dealer replaced FOB. Next time, I popped the FOB open, rotated the battery a bit and wiped the 4 prong contacts and pried them up a bit like jawsdc said. I can see the prongs leaving a mark on the battery so perhaps it is just a poor contact develops over time from the cheap, made in China metal prongs. Anyway, this worked last time and I have been good for a few months now.

Last edited by kddsRam; 12-20-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

I had to replace my battery twice, bc this issue, I'm going to check these prongs y'all talk about as well.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Stunna980
Rookie

Ya its def a prob for sure. Drives me Fing nuts. The solution i found is ever once in a while change battery or turn it after splitting fob apart. Biggest quit fix for me is to push the key fob together right where the battery is(lower middle fat part of fob) and push the button at same time. Works almost every time for me. Still pain in the @ss. Asked dodge and they said havent heard of it happinging, ya right.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
jimf5
Rookie

Thanks to all who replied. I was a little leary of trying to open my "Fob" and just started prying at the end where the emergency key goes in( took the key out) and it poped open. I was very suprised as to how much pocket lint was in there but right away noticed the four small contact marks on the battery. All I did was turn the battery about about 20 degrees and shut it back up. Fob seems to work like it should. I hope this is the fix we are looking for.

jimf5

Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

I had the same issue as many of us have had with these FOB's. I did the prong pull and battery change to a Duracell and I have not had a problem in over a year....same battery in the FOB, too. Have not had to change the battery in that time frame.
Now I'll go outside in the snow and it won't work, just because I posted this.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Mine only fails when I'm trying to get back into my truck at the gas station, after paying inside. And of course there is a always a person across from my pump, behind my pump, and next to my pump watching me try and unlock my door. Damn truck likes to play games with at times... LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyfob/door unlock problems