4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When 2001 318 is warm it stops at idle and misfires at higher RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
RAYJG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy When 2001 318 is warm it stops at idle and misfires at higher RPM

2001 engine has 21,000 (5.2) 318 and when it gets to operating temp, it stalls and quits running while idling. Misfires badly at about 45MPH and above. I paid $38.00 to Just Ask (Dodge mechanic) who told me to change Cam sensor and Crank sensor so I did. Same problem. I changed the coil and Idle Control Module, same problem. Changed the Automatic Shutdown Relay and engine temperature coolant sensor, same problem.

I do not know what else to do because there are NEVER any codes that come up on my code reader. The Engine Trouble Light flashes every time the engine misfires, but still no codes using two different code readers.

Help, PLEASE!
RAYJG

Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAYJG
2001 engine has 21,000 (5.2) 318 and when it gets to operating temp, it stalls and quits running while idling. Misfires badly at about 45MPH and above. I paid $38.00 to Just Ask (Dodge mechanic) who told me to change Cam sensor and Crank sensor so I did. Same problem. I changed the coil and Idle Control Module, same problem. Changed the Automatic Shutdown Relay and engine temperature coolant sensor, same problem.

I do not know what else to do because there are NEVER any codes that come up on my code reader. The Engine Trouble Light flashes every time the engine misfires, but still no codes using two different code readers.

Help, PLEASE!
RAYJG
In order to run the engine requires oxygen, fuel, compression, spark and the ability to exhaust. When you replaced the coil did you also replace the coil wire? If not, why not? (they do indeed go bad)

Since it's not setting any codes, if after trying a new coil wire and still having the same problems I'd be tempted to take it to the dealership and ask them to put their best driveability tech on it.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have an external fuel filter? If so, try that next. If it runs OK when cold then it's likely fuel related. At cold the fuel mixture is open loop controlled until the engine warms up then it's closed lop and the computer looks at the O2 sensors, MAF and temp sensors. When you say that it misses after 45 MPH it kind of points to fuel starvation thus my suggestion to try the fuel filter. Have you checked the fuel pressure? Also the dealer can hook up a reader to the car OBD connector and even without codes can tell you whats causing the misfires.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 01-29-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: When 2001 318 is warm it stops at idle and misfires at higher RPM