4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Is There A Cabin Air Filter or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
HKS
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Air Filter Mod

Originally Posted by HKS
Ripplek,

Im hope you are right. I have been looking for a way to put an aftermarket cabin air filter in my 2010 RAM Big Horn Hemi.

I will look for the fat T under the glove box and then proceed.
with parts order.
Thank you in advance.

HKS

Ordered the box lid from local dealer for $12. Online ordering would cost $8 plus $15 ground shipping.

Also, it looks like, no matter if the AC is on max or not, there is plenty of fresh air bypass. But the cabin filter will help remove pollen when recirculating the air. I may still need to have AC on max in order to minimize outside air into the cabin.
HKS

PS. I can send pictures showing that the filter is in use when AC is on MAX.

Last edited by HKS; 08-26-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 AM
HKS
Amateur
Default Install Cabin Filter

Got the filter installed. A utility knife had a lot of drag when cutting due to the width of the blade. I would try the exacto knife next time.

It looks like the large oval air hose comes in contact with the filter intake (top) when the AC is not on max meaning fresh nair comes from the oval hose. When AC is on max the oval hose is retracted from the filter top. This means that both cabin air and outside air will be drawn into the filter. That should be a good arangement. I do not know if there is a shut off valve for the outside air somewhere else.

I found a lot of dimension diferences between filters, and checking for a 2010 Dodge Caliber 2.0L on the WIX website gave a 24313 number instead of the 24578 number mentioned in the installation earlier. I think that both will fit.

I had to bend the filter to get it in (cramped quarters under dash). Maybe a slightly smaller version would slide in easier.

Filter dimensions:
WIX 24313 = L 8.625, W 7.635, H 1"
PUROLATER C25869= L 8.56, W 7.71, H .98"
FRAM (cross for WIX 24313) CV10729 = L 8.3/8, W 7.3/4, H 1"

I used CARQUEST CAF 179 (made by WIX (23578 cross)) $12.00

Note: found Dodge part numbers 5058381AA and 5058693AA to apply for the same filter.

Let me know if you find errors.

HKS

P.S. Watched a Youtube video on how to install the filter in a Jeep. Turns out Jeep Compass is sold filter ready, you just have to buy your own after you buy the car. Not installed from the factory. Interesting.

Originally Posted by HKS
Ordered the box lid from local dealer for $12. Online ordering would cost $8 plus $15 ground shipping.

Also, it looks like, no matter if the AC is on max or not, there is plenty of fresh air bypass. But the cabin filter will help remove pollen when recirculating the air. I may still need to have AC on max in order to minimize outside air into the cabin.
HKS

PS. I can send pictures showing that the filter is in use when AC is on MAX.

Last edited by HKS; 08-29-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM
bittergouldy

here is the links for the specs on the two different Wix filters

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=24578

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=24313

dimensions are very close (within a 1/16 of an inch) but the 24578 is charcoal impregnated & the 24313 isn't

Last edited by bittergouldy; 08-27-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default Charcoal

Thanks for the info. I noticed some air flow restriction with the 24578, maybe the 24313 would be less restrictive but would let the smell of Nebraska hog feedlots in.

HKS

Originally Posted by bittergouldy
here is the links for the specs on the two different Wix filters

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=24578

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=24313

dimensions are very close (within a 1/16 of an inch) but the 24578 is charcoal impregnated & the 24313 isn't

Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default Cabin Air Filter Mod By Dealer

I mentioned this filter mod to the guy at the parts counter in Lincoln,NE when I picked up the filter cover. The look he gave me was like
"I don't realy care, go away".

I almost did not buy my 2010 Ram truck because of a lack of cabin air filter. I would think that this mod would bring in more sales.

HKS
We are surrounded by people that do not care. The local VW dealership is no better. These people are trained to not think.

Originally Posted by Germantorque
My Dodge Dealership in Cold Lake, Alberta just started advertising about this "MOD" they are charging $149.99. So that good enough for ne warranty wise!

Thanks for the information saves a bundle!

Last edited by HKS; 09-01-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Mctuber

Thank you
" ripplek"
the photo"s and instructions are going to help keep me from swiffering out my cab weekly

Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default Cabin Air Filter 2013 Big Horn

Trading my 2010 Bighorn for a 2013 1500 Bighorn, Tomorrow 4-13-2013.

I hated to give up my Ramboxes but this is the only Hemi plus 8 speed trany they had.

I looked at the 2013 by removing glove box and indeed there is the cabin filter outline to be cut out. So I hope I can do the cabin filter mod same as for the 2009-2012 1500 Ram Trucks. I anyone knows different please let me know.

I am getting the 5.7 Hemi with the ZF 8 speed transmission. It also has electric power steering. One less rotating component on the engine. 21MPG

It was quite a thrill to test drive and listen to it swirch gears while racing up the I-80 on ramp. Almost got a ticket. A cop was watching and must have had his radar aimed the wrong way.

HKS

Originally Posted by HKS
I mentioned this filter mod to the guy at the parts counter in Lincoln,NE when I picked up the filter cover. The look he gave me was like
"I don't realy care, go away".

I almost did not buy my 2010 Ram truck because of a lack of cabin air filter. I would think that this mod would bring in more sales.

HKS
We are surrounded by people that do not care. The local VW dealership is no better. These people are trained to not think.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Brummo
Captain

I'm going to do this. I've always wanted to stop dusting all the time..
Final thought/question, what is the better filter for this that you all have used?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default Ram Cabin Air Filter

Brummo,

You may not want to get the best filter. It may cause too much air restriction. Also there is little room for filter insertion. You have to distort the filter to squeeze it in. An expensive charcoal filter may be too rigid. I need the filter due to severe Hay Fever in July and August.

HKS

Originally Posted by Brummo
I'm going to do this. I've always wanted to stop dusting all the time..
Final thought/question, what is the better filter for this that you all have used?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 PM
corndogg
Amateur

I have done this to mine. Pretty easy except for the laying and twisting around in the passenger floorboard from the outside for me. would have laid across the seats but i have the center console. Don't remember what brand the filter was but i picked it up at O'reillys for $10. What ever brand it was had different part numbers for the avenger and caliber but the filter was identical.

Quick Reply: Is There A Cabin Air Filter or Not?