4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

service date

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 PM
ramluv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service date

Happy New Year folks! I have two questions. 1. If my service date is 8/2009, why is my truck considered a 2010? 2. I purchased a Viper 4013 remote starter and the by pass module for my RAM 1500. Anybody have any trouble with this model installation?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
mike2810
Captain

An in service date on a vehicle is when the original warranty started on the vehicle when it was first purchased as a new vehicle. The in service date should not be confused with when the vehicle was originally manufactured, instead think of it as the date that you first drove the vehicle off the dealerships parking lot, after signing papers.

As for the second question. I don't have any experience with the viper 4013.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ramluv
Happy New Year folks! I have two questions. 1. If my service date is 8/2009, why is my truck considered a 2010? 2. I purchased a Viper 4013 remote starter and the by pass module for my RAM 1500. Anybody have any trouble with this model installation?
Next year models used to roll out end of September. They have rolled out sooner to kick start sales and compete with other manufacturers. So, seems to me, your 2010 model year truck was purchased brand new in August 2009.
Remote starters...Universal
Bypass modules...Vehicle specific
2009 and 2010 should be the same as far as bypass modules go. Whether or not the bypass module is programmed to accept them are 2 different stories.
You can install ANY remote starter in ANY vehicle. BUT you need a specific bypass module for each application, especially Canbus vehicles such as the Ram.
You tell us your remote start brand and model which makes no difference. What is your bypass module brand and model #? That is what makes the difference on install abilities!!!
The more expensive module are generally easier and require less effort to install and have more flexibility in options btw...

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ramluv,

The in service date is the date the vehicle was first put into service. This can be from the first retail buyer, as part of a fleet, or perhaps even put into service as a dealer demo. The in service date is also when the warranty starts on the vehicle. The model years, in your case 2010, are usually started to be built in the July-August time frame the calender year before, although some models are produced much before or after this time frame, July-August is typical.

If you want to get the build date and other info, PM me your Vin and I will send you a build sheet for your Ram.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
ramluv
Default Thanks

thanks for the responses folks. The install went well. In Pittsburgh a remote starter is worth the expense. Our winters are legendary. Gues I can't take advantage of the 2009 lifetime warranty though. $&%^!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks for the responses folks. The install went well. In Pittsburgh a remote starter is worth the expense. Our winters are legendary. Gues I can't take advantage of the 2009 lifetime warranty though. $&%^!

Are you the original owner? If you are not, you would not get the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty anyway as it does not transfer to subsequent owners. If you did indeed buy the vehicle used then having a 2010 is better since the 5/100 powertrain warranty follows the vehicle, no matter how many owners, until expired.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 PM
ramluv
Default 5/100

Good to know that it follows the vehicle. Thanks. Any suggestions as to best synthetic material seatcovers?

Quick Reply: service date