4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Gig Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 AM
JohnVI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Gig Questions

Hey Gang
Hope everyone had a nice holiday

I currently have a 09 Ram with the Sirius Radio and Uconnect (The basic Radio with the uconnect package). I want to upgrade to a MyGig (If anyone has one to sell, IM me) and wanted to ask about this BUS thing..How do I know if I need a low or High BUS. Also, am i going to need to do anything else than just unplug mine and swap this out. What about updates to the mygig head unit?

Here are my questions
1) How do i know what type bus i need? I can get the high or low bus
2) how can i update the head unit? Can i put in a disk of any update.
3) is the install straight forward, do i need the dealer to do this?
4) Any other information before i buy the head unit? Is it a easy unplug mine and plug in the new one

Any help is appreciated...

Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 PM
astroman54
Amateur

1. 2009 was a transistion year. The 1500's require the High speed bus radio. The 2500 and 3500 are considered a 3rd gen ram..
2. I'm guessing you have the RES radio (look on the lower right corner of the radio bezel).. This cannot be updated, however if you wo with any "Mygig" radio with the touch screen, most are upgradable to the latest firmware version. You cannot add a Nav system to a non nav mygig though.
3. The install is pretty much straight forward, plug and play. I know that the RHR radio and I believe the RER radio both have the Uconnect built into them and require an additional wiring cable to rewire the mirror to the radio and removal of the separate uconnect module. The rest use the uconnect module that is already installed and existing wiring. The dealer will tell you that you need to update the computer in the truck, but I installed the RHR radio in my 2009 Sport and it works perfectly without..

If you choose a Nav radio, you will need to add a gps antenna to the truck so it will work. The placement will depend on what radio you choose. The RHR radio has only one antenna connection for the GPS and Sirius, so I wound up replacing the roof sirius antenna with a dual band version.

I have a write up in another forum that describes how I installed the RHR and what chrysler part number items I needed to install it. Let me know if you want to review that..

Andy

Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

Thanks for the information I definitely appreciate it. I looked and in fact I do have the RES radio. So then the radio I am looking at on eBay some say RBZ And some say REN. This may sound like a stupid question but how do I know which one to buy and which one will work...

Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

So then what does ren, res, rbz all mean

Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM
astroman54
Amateur

The REN, RES, RBZ are all different model of radios, along with RER, RHR. Each model has a little different set of features. You can google the something like "Chrysler REN" to do a search on the model to see what features it has. Most models were replaced with slightly newer versions, like the RER and RHR. The RHR is the newer version of the RER.

There are two different models that have navagation. The upper end model (730N RHR or RER) has a Navteq GPS in it and the lower model which has a garmen based GPS. Most like the Garmen based because it maps better routes especially in Canada. Both do not allow inputing a destination using the screen while driving. However, the RHR/RER does allow inputting a destination during moving with voice commands. Something I like about it.

When I was looking to replace mine, I searched oemautopartsco.com along with other sites to see what was compatable. It was a jeep forum that led me to understand that the RHR would work. I had originally decided to get the RHB radio (garmin based) becasue the voice activation buttons were on the left side of the radio making it easier to press from the driver seat. But when it came, the seller was mistaken and it was the RHR. I didn't complain because it was the upper model radio. While I was looking, I used the web site I gave you to determine if the donor vehicle was high or low speed. You definely want the High Speed model, the low speed will not even turn on.

According to Dodge, the RHR won't work in the 2009, and the dealer won't be able to update the configuration in the truck, but it works perfectly including giving the directions on the EVIC. So it's fully integrated with the rest of the truck.

Andy

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

Does anyone know if I need a security code. Some research says something about a security code

Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
astroman54
Amateur

Pre 2012 mygigs seem to work with a default code of 0-0-0-0, 1-1-1-1, or 1-2-3-4. With 2012 or newer radios you will need the actual code for the radio.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you aren't going for the NAV I would reccomend the RBZ if you can find it. The REN's are older and while the uconnect phone will work, from everything I've read will not support blue tooth streaming audio. I got my uconnect flashed at the dealer and to my dismay found the streaming audio not operational. The phone works fine though and the dealer thought it didn't work so they didn't charge me to flash it. The only thing with the RBZ is it will require an adapter to plug in the antenna.

Last edited by depunz; 01-02-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM
astroman54
Amateur

On all radios but the RER and RHR, the bluetooth and voice control features are located in the Uconnect module which is located behind the passenger side kick panel and can be seen if you drop the lower glove box door and look through it toward the outer wall. To get the bluetooth streaming on your radio, you will need to replace the uconnect module with one from a 2011 or newer Ram..

Andy

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm working through this as we speak and learning a hell of a lot, thanks to all that posted replys to help, I very very much appreciate it.

Trucks at dealer now for some other maintenance, and with the mygig I'm hoping they put in and everything works with very minimal cost (the service guy is my buddy, and he said like $50 updated maybe $100 no more). I found a mint condition radio 30 gig rbz and while I hate to say it, I snipped the auction and won the darn radio for $304 final snipe.

So, by the COB / 1630 today I should know the outcome, and plan to give back the information I can to this thread with a few pics

So then if you want your iOS device to stream audio to the my gig you need a updated module for your existing uconnect? They can't flash that sucker, I don't know if it has memory or not, but wondering

Quick Reply: My Gig Questions