4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Resetting "oil change due" warning on EVIC

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
kpevin
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some high end cars the user cant reset the oil change message at all, dealer has to do it.

If its too easy to reset a lot of people will just push the reset button and motor on, maybe they should put a 'snooze' button on it to keep the light off for a couple days lol.

Also when its too easy to reset, like Fords on the DIC, many will reset it by mistake. There is no 'are you sure you want to reset?' message, you push the button once and its reset.

I have no problems with the Chrysler gas pedal reset, GM does the same thing on some cars/trucks I dont change my oil until the light goes on anyhow, its not all that complicated. Honestly its easier then remembering where you put the oil change stickers and having a working pen when I change he oil

Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know women commuter's that have put 200,000 on their cars strictly by the oil life message. If they didn't have them it would hardly ever be serviced.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hounddogg
Its to get people to change oil. So many let it go many miles past due. If you use the proper oil all you need to do is use the message system that is provided.
That premise only makes sense if you take as fact the idea that the 'change oil now' warning message is accurate or meaningful and must be followed. It is none of those. It is a guide. The owner's manual calls for oil changes every 6000 miles with non-synthetic oil. I know for a fact that my 'change oil' message comes on before a 6000 interval even during times when I am driving without high impact situations (i.e. no trailer towing, no short trips, highway speeds, moderate power levels, not dusty). So, to me the warning message is useless as it is.

In older Chrysler vehicles where you could select your own mileage interval this warning was actually useful because it related to the actual way I changed oil.

If you want to follow the message and do as it says that's great. Have fun. Even if you do that you can't argue with the fact that the method for resetting the message is non-intuitive. You can say it is not difficult, but nobody can say with a straight face that it is intuitive. And that was my main point above.

Rob

Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
kpevin
Veteran

I know women commuter's that have put 200,000 on their cars strictly by the oil life message. If they didn't have them it would hardly ever be serviced.
I've taken apart engines that people have not changed the oil in 50K miles just kept adding when the oil (pressure) light came on and expected Ford to pay for it. Not a pretty sight, especially once the oil filter gets clogged and the bypass opens.

Dodge says 8K/6mos between changes in the manual now on this '12, thats fine with me, its their baby for 100K miles.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 PM
kpevin
Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
That premise only makes sense if you take as fact the idea that the 'change oil now' warning message is accurate or meaningful and must be followed. It is none of those. It is a guide. The owner's manual calls for oil changes every 6000 miles with non-synthetic oil. I know for a fact that my 'change oil' message comes on before a 6000 interval even during times when I am driving without high impact situations (i.e. no trailer towing, no short trips, highway speeds, moderate power levels, not dusty). So, to me the warning message is useless as it is.

In older Chrysler vehicles where you could select your own mileage interval this warning was actually useful because it related to the actual way I changed oil.

If you want to follow the message and do as it says that's great. Have fun. Even if you do that you can't argue with the fact that the method for resetting the message is non-intuitive. You can say it is not difficult, but nobody can say with a straight face that it is intuitive. And that was my main point above.

Rob
Indeed the oil change message can come on earlier, like I said the new manuals state 8K between changed now. I'm curious to see when the light goes on. I'll do the first oil change at around 3000 miles and let it go until the light comes on from then on.

IMO its not supposed to be intuitive, if it was it would easily be reset by mistake.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I have read that G.M. ,Ford and Honda's OLM is a very good guide. It takes into account many factors. Service writer at a Chrysler store said a engineer told him that lots of time is in the design of the OLM on Chrysler vehicles and it was a very beneficial system. The Corvette forumns I am on its used and trusted by many.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM
kpevin
Veteran

I have read that G.M. ,Ford and Honda's OLM is a very good guide. It takes into account many factors. Service writer at a Chrysler store said a engineer told him that lots of time is in the design of the OLM on Chrysler vehicles and it was a very beneficial system. The Corvette forumns I am on its used and trusted by many.

Supposedly, but even if it just came on at the maximum interval it would still be better than having no oil OLM at all for most.

Either way most dont come on every 6 months regardless of mileage, and they should if that interval is recommended. BMW and Mercedes and I'm sure a few others do.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
jrp267
Rookie

Well I am glad it's not part of the evic. I don't have one in my 2012 ram. Wanted a low price truck with a good power v8 and not spend 40000 to get it. And I got a crew cab pickup with a hemi power windows locks a sat radio cruise tilt and 20 in wheels for mid 20. A good value if your not into all the bells and whistles and don't want to pay for them. And I thought the instructions were easy enough to understand.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM
jrp267
Rookie

Oops I see I resurrected an oldie. Oh well.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no worries.....all opinions are welcome regardless of timing.

Quick Reply: Resetting "oil change due" warning on EVIC