4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Resetting "oil change due" warning on EVIC

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
BulldawgRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting "oil change due" warning on EVIC

First, I searched and all I find is turn key to on, press gas pedal to floor three times within 10 seconds, then turn key off. Start engine - message should be gone. It isn't. Tried it a couple times to make sure.

2011 2500 MegaCab with diesel. Have changed oil at every 5K miles, and it's going in today for another oil change - just short of 15K miles. So how do I really reset that message? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:02 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does it say in your owners manual? The procedure you listed is correct for my 09 Hemi. Quick call to your local dealers service dept would also give you the answer.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM
brenynotto

i have a 2011 5.7. pressing the pedal to the floor 3 times for a couple seconds while the key is in the on position but engine not running works for me.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BulldawgRAM
First, I searched and all I find is turn key to on, press gas pedal to floor three times within 10 seconds, then turn key off. Start engine - message should be gone. It isn't. Tried it a couple times to make sure.

2011 2500 MegaCab with diesel. Have changed oil at every 5K miles, and it's going in today for another oil change - just short of 15K miles. So how do I really reset that message? Thanks in advance.

Bulldawg,

The way you are describing it is the way it should work. If it's not working the dealer needs to take a look. I am posting the info from the owners manual below.

Oil Change Due

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The Oil Change Due message will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty-cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the RETURN button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), perform the following steps.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. (Do not start the engine)
  2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Note: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the engine, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat these steps.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
thiggins
Professional

I had the same problem. What they DON'T tell you is that you have to wait until the EVIC has "rebooted", and the display stops going through the startup routines. I was "resetting" too quickly after turning the key on. You still have to wait for the EVIC and everything to "start up" before you do the pedal presses. ( I had to go to the dealer and watch someone do that to my truck before I realized I was too quick on the pedal presses...)

Old 02-24-2012, 12:39 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

exactly as stated, on my 09, you need to turn key forward, wait until EVIC resets and the oil change message comes up, then display resets to "Messages 1" or whatever. Then you follow owners manual, it shuts off right after the 3rd gas pedal depress and even before you turn the key off.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
mightyduc998

half *** instructions from Dodge ,what a surprise...
i bought one of those unimited oil change service plans from Dodge dealer and apperently those techs dont know about it either since they never reset it...
nice to know know..

LOL, i used to think i was doing it too slow.i got interestingly fast at it.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Bulldawg,

The way you are describing it is the way it should work. If it's not working the dealer needs to take a look. I am posting the info from the owners manual below.

Oil Change Due

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The Oil Change Due message will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty-cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the RETURN button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), perform the following steps.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. (Do not start the engine)
  2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Note: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the engine, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat these steps.
Chris, the problem is after step one. Step two should read, "Wait for the Oil Change Due message to appear in the EVIC."

Best regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, dual exhaust, 20” wheels

Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty48
Chris, the problem is after step one. Step two should read, "Wait for the Oil Change Due message to appear in the EVIC."

Best regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, dual exhaust, 20” wheels
Dusty,

I understand. I will pass that on.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

It is incredibly irritating that 1) Chrysler went away from the 'choose your own oil change interval via the truck's computer interface' (my prior Jeeps had that feature); and 2) to reset the message you have to jump through non-intuitive hoops like these instructions. WTF??

All the settings and the ability to reset should be back in the EVIC computer with a normal interface (just like changing light turn-off duration). The driver should get the option to choose between the engine oil life sensor and any fixed mileage duration they want to use. Some people like to change oil every 3000 miles (not me). Some use synthetic oil and go 6000 or 8000 miles between changes. Forcing one method on people is ridiculous.

Rob

Quick Reply: Resetting "oil change due" warning on EVIC