4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

** Uconnect problems **

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're welcome. The system isn't really useless. After the dealer replaces the module or does the TSB (Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin), you'll use it and see. Granted that there are many things that you can do "faster" by just using the phone, the idea is that it's safer to use the system than it is to keep looking at the phone and taking your eyes off the road. Once you've used it (or any othe rhands free system) it becomes 2nd nature, you know where the buttons are and you don't take your eyes off traffic. Yes, it's not a s fast because you have devices talking to each other. Uconnect doesn't take the place of your phone, it's an interpeter between the phone and your radio.
There are several states andmore coming that if an office sees you are using the phone to place or receive calls instead of a hands free kit, it's a ticket time.

Originally Posted by rippingviper
Thanks lots. I don't have the connector. Only the big one was connected to the module. SO i'd need to find a little usb to usb type dealeo and I really don't intend to spend any money to fix it. I think i'll just leave it disconnected. Its pretty useless anyway, voice commands take longer to do anything then me just doing it myself anyway. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 PM
fjblair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thiggins
Sorry, but I've found Uconnect to be very unreliable and cantankerous.
I don't know, I use it in my Ram and a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it works very well in both vehicles. It has an occasional hiccup but overall it has been great.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rippingviper
It does ask for a USB device for an update at some point but it keeps repeating itself over and over at different spots its like its a broken record and skipping. It'll cut off halfway thru a sentence put the radio back on then 2 seconds later re-activate saying to restore the uconnect to its default settings press the button or say 1-2-3 blah blah blah. its annoying. Its got a mind of its own. I can't even listen to radio cd nothing. And i looked for a USB port anywhere in the truck and cant locate one. checked glove box under the dash everywhere. As I said this truck was literally just built a month ago from the factory according to the VIN and stickers. IDK but this is my first dodge and its not a leaving a good impression.

I dont even have a phone synced to the truck at all either so this is mind boggling. I took tomorrow off so i'll drive it over to the dealer but If they don't have said update idk what to do. its like the thing is shorted out.

Rippingviper,

I hope everything was resolved at the Dodge dealer, they are your best bet as they do have the latest diagnostic tools, specifically for Dodge vehicles; as well as any updates that may be available.

If any further assistance is needed, feel free to PM me a little more information and I'd be happy to review it with you!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Hello Katie,
As I mentioned to him, there has been a TSB for this issue released last week,
TSB # 08-050-12

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Rippingviper,

I hope everything was resolved at the Dodge dealer, they are your best bet as they do have the latest diagnostic tools, specifically for Dodge vehicles; as well as any updates that may be available.

If any further assistance is needed, feel free to PM me a little more information and I'd be happy to review it with you!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Darkside 700
Amateur

Hi xsdbs
I have a 12 GC and am having a problem with uconnect touch screen radio. I am wondering if you may be able to help.
It works fine except for when I go to voice dial a long distant number like 1+ area code + number. The display reads back the number correctly and then when it dials it drops the 1 and the call will not go through and you get the recorded message that says you need to dial 1 to make the call. If you use the phone itself to dial the number it works. It really defeats the purpose of hands free. Have you heard of this.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM
xsdbs
Captain

I haven't heard of this issue, but maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. The way I understand this is that you're dialing a long distant # (is this a US LD # or is it out of the country?)
I have the iPhone 4S and here's what I tried:
Pressed UC button and said "dial 12135551212", the # showed up as: 1 (213) 555-1212 and the call went thru. Is this the same layout that you are trying? If not can you tell me how you're doing it?

1) Is the "1" getting dropped on the phone screen?
2) What phone do you have?
3) Can you try putting the LD number in your phones contact list while not inn the vehicle, then go to the vehicle, turn the key on (or start the motor),give Uconnect a minute or so to power up and download the phonebook contacts, then press the Uconnect button and say "phonebook, list names", She'll ask you for the name of the person to start from, please say the added contacts name that you entered in the phone, have your finger near the VR (voice) button and ready to press it, when she says that name,, press the VR button and say "details", how does she read the # back to you?
4) After the above step has been noted, Press the UC button and say "call (name of hte contact that you entered)", does the call go thru?

Let's start here and see what happens, ok.

Originally Posted by Darkside 700
Hi xsdbs
I have a 12 GC and am having a problem with uconnect touch screen radio. I am wondering if you may be able to help.
It works fine except for when I go to voice dial a long distant number like 1+ area code + number. The display reads back the number correctly and then when it dials it drops the 1 and the call will not go through and you get the recorded message that says you need to dial 1 to make the call. If you use the phone itself to dial the number it works. It really defeats the purpose of hands free. Have you heard of this.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Darkside 700
Amateur

Thanks for the reply.
I am in Canada.
I am using an LG flip phone about 3 year old.
All of my contacts are set up as 1 (555) 555-5555.
All of my calls are long distance.
I have the uconnect 430 radio/hdd/touchscreen.
I hit the phone button on the radio and speak the number that I want dialed eg 1-555-555-5555 it radio displays that number and reads back that same number for me to confirm I say yes and it dials the number without the 1 in front.
This happens with all numbers whether or not they are programmed in my phone or a one of number that I am dialling.
If I use the phones keypad to dial the number and then wait for the call to start ringing on uconnect then close the cover on my phone no problems.
Hope that this helps explain.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Is there somethingin this link to help withthis issue or was there something else that you're trying to show me? Thanks

Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Uconnect doesn't make the calls. Uconnect sends the # via BT to the phone, if she's confirming the # correctly, then she's sending what you hear her say to the phone. If the "1" is getting dropped, it's the phone that's dropping it.
If you tell me the phone model, I can see if I have one laying around to try out.
Were you able to try using the "call <name>" to see if the call will go thru.
Have you tried a different phone to see what happens. I have tried about 4 different phones and the call goes thru.

Originally Posted by Darkside 700
Thanks for the reply.
I am in Canada.
I am using an LG flip phone about 3 year old.
All of my contacts are set up as 1 (555) 555-5555.
All of my calls are long distance.
I have the uconnect 430 radio/hdd/touchscreen.
I hit the phone button on the radio and speak the number that I want dialed eg 1-555-555-5555 it radio displays that number and reads back that same number for me to confirm I say yes and it dials the number without the 1 in front.
This happens with all numbers whether or not they are programmed in my phone or a one of number that I am dialling.
If I use the phones keypad to dial the number and then wait for the call to start ringing on uconnect then close the cover on my phone no problems.
Hope that this helps explain.

Quick Reply: ** Uconnect problems **