4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2013 Ram Radio's Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2013 Ram Radio's Please Read

All,

The new radio units are being phased in beginning with the 2013 Rams. I am posting this TSB in the hopes that people will understand that you will not be able to switch radios on these trucks. I do not have any information about aftermarket and do not know what effects these changes implemented will have on aftermarket availability but I just wanted everyone to be sure to understand how the new units will work and to get what you want upon purchase instead of counting on a change later. NAV can be added to the RA3 units.

NUMBER: 08-056-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 12, 2012

SUBJECT:
Information On New Radio Systems: Sales Code RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4
MODELS:
2013 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin pertains to vehicles that are equipped with, UCONNECT 3.0
AM/FM (sales code RA1) or UCONNECT 5.0 AM/FM/BT (sales code RA2) or
UCONNECT 8.4A AM/FM/BT/ACCESS (sales code RA3) or UCONNECT 8.4AN
AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV (sales code RA4).
DISCUSSION:
The new Ram 1500 pickup truck has new radios with unique features.
· The electrical architecture has changed. The communication system/wiring is
modeled after the Powernet architecture. Unlike the other Powernet vehicles the
audio screen is part of the radio.
· The 911 call button will be enabled when the vehicle is put into Customer Mode, or
after the vehicle has been driven approximately 50 miles.
NOTE: To get the vehicle out of ship mode, please refer to TechCONNECT, 04 -
Vehicle Quick Reference/New Vehicle Preparation
Instructions/Standard Procedure.
· If the vehicle has an RA1 radio, it Can Not be upgraded to include Bluetooth/Hands
Free functionality. NO Mopar accessory kits are planned at this time.
NOTE: None of the RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4 radios are interchangeable with
each other. If the vehicle came with an RA1, radio, you can NOT install
an RA2, RA3 or RA4 radio. If the vehicle came with an RA4 radio, you
can NOT install an RA1, RA2 or RA3 radio and so on.
· Customers are able to purchase different Apps for these radio. If the radio is
replaced the Apps that the customer has purchased will take approximately one hour
of continuous ignition on time, with proper cellular coverage, before the Apps reload.
The vehicle can be returned to the customer before the purchased Apps have
reloaded. Advise the customer of the conditions that have to be met for the Apps to
reload.
· RA1, RA2, RA3 and RA4 radios will be on a parts restriction until 05-06-13.
· CD players will be on a parts restriction until 05-06-13.
· The radio sales code is no longer on the front of the radio. To identify an RA4 from a RA3 radio, the RA4 radio has 3D Navigation, and a “HD” symbol will be displayed on
the screen, see . To identify an RA1 from a RA2 radio, the RA2 radio will
have a phone button on the lower left hand corner of screen, see.
· RA3 radio is the only one that can be upgraded to include a Navigation feature. The
system will have to be activated by the dealer.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:30 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 PM
LVRR
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting and very singular.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 AM
bigolyt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my 2013 Ram 2 weeks ago, it has the 8.4a (R3)

Long story short, the dealer I bought it from had NO clue how to get the NAV working... I found the TS file on the internet and sent it to my local dealer (not where I bought mine) They ended up doing the NAV activation for free.. ( I got lucky, I've heard its anywhere between $600-$1200 to activate)

The NAV is awesome, SiriusXM is great... I'm not missing the 3D maps, or the HD Radio, so it wasnt worth the hassel to get the R4

Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by bigolyt
I picked up my 2013 Ram 2 weeks ago, it has the 8.4a (R3)

Long story short, the dealer I bought it from had NO clue how to get the NAV working... I found the TS file on the internet and sent it to my local dealer (not where I bought mine) They ended up doing the NAV activation for free.. ( I got lucky, I've heard its anywhere between $600-$1200 to activate)

The NAV is awesome, SiriusXM is great... I'm not missing the 3D maps, or the HD Radio, so it wasnt worth the hassel to get the R4

I have posted the TSB on how to upgrade the RA3 to include Navigation on other threads but I should post it here as well. Chrysler has posted this information for the dealers but I am sure it will take some time for all the dealers to become informed on these new units. If the dealer looks up the TSB below it gives them step by step instructions on how this procedure is done. Glad you were able to get yours for free!!!

NUMBER: 08-031-12
DATE: October 17, 2012

SUBJECT:
How To Activate The Navigation Maps On A RA3 Radio
MODELS:
NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a UCONNECT 8.4A
AM/FM/BT/ACCESS (sales code RA3).
CAUTION: The only vehicles that can be upgraded to include a navigation system
are ones that have an RA3 radio.
DISCUSSION:
Offering a radio that has navigation capability that can be optionally activated for additional
cost is something new. This allows all Uconnect 8.4A (sales code RA3) customers to enjoy
the benefits of the high line 8.4 inch screen at a low entry level price. Only the customers
that wish to activate the navigation feature will pay the extra fee.
CAUTION: The customer needs to be notified, and clearly understand once this
system is activated it can NOT be deactivated and this feature can NOT
be transferred to another vehicle. When the feature is activated it's
“non-refundable, irreversible, and permanently attached to the VEHICLE
(not the customer) for the life of the vehicle.”

Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM
bigolyt

Exactly what we had to do....

You wouldn't happen to know the part number to add the parkview rear view backup camera's would you? Uconnect features say its available, but my dealer says its not (still new to them I'm assuming, so they don't know). A part no. would do wonders for me.

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
I have posted the TSB on how to upgrade the RA3 to include Navigation on other threads but I should post it here as well. Chrysler has posted this information for the dealers but I am sure it will take some time for all the dealers to become informed on these new units. If the dealer looks up the TSB below it gives them step by step instructions on how this procedure is done. Glad you were able to get yours for free!!!

NUMBER: 08-031-12
DATE: October 17, 2012

SUBJECT:
How To Activate The Navigation Maps On A RA3 Radio
MODELS:
NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a UCONNECT 8.4A
AM/FM/BT/ACCESS (sales code RA3).
CAUTION: The only vehicles that can be upgraded to include a navigation system
are ones that have an RA3 radio.
DISCUSSION:
Offering a radio that has navigation capability that can be optionally activated for additional
cost is something new. This allows all Uconnect 8.4A (sales code RA3) customers to enjoy
the benefits of the high line 8.4 inch screen at a low entry level price. Only the customers
that wish to activate the navigation feature will pay the extra fee.
CAUTION: The customer needs to be notified, and clearly understand once this
system is activated it can NOT be deactivated and this feature can NOT
be transferred to another vehicle. When the feature is activated it's
“non-refundable, irreversible, and permanently attached to the VEHICLE
(not the customer) for the life of the vehicle.”

Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by bigolyt
Exactly what we had to do....

You wouldn't happen to know the part number to add the parkview rear view backup camera's would you? Uconnect features say its available, but my dealer says its not (still new to them I'm assuming, so they don't know). A part no. would do wonders for me.

I have inquired about the backup camera. It could be the part is available and I will get the number, the part will become available but has not been released yet for this new radio, or that the camera is available but only from the factory. I will find out and let you know.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but even tho dodge is making it hard to "change radios" its not going to HALT the aftermarket world. Guys like Pac-Audio have full time crews devoted to giving you adapter options so you can install any deck you want. This is what most people thought, with those vehicles that have the VIN stored in the deck and it won't move without it. Pac designed an adapter that allows people to do it anyways. Also with today's digital world, its gonna make it easier for guys like pac to develop something. Might take time, but I am sure they will let you know.

The only thing is warranty! You will have none....ha

Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM
bigolyt

I already have a license plate frame camera hooked up (by the dealer) but wanted the parkview in the tailgate. So I know its possible to get something done after market.

Originally Posted by Nate769
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but even tho dodge is making it hard to "change radios" its not going to HALT the aftermarket world. Guys like Pac-Audio have full time crews devoted to giving you adapter options so you can install any deck you want. This is what most people thought, with those vehicles that have the VIN stored in the deck and it won't move without it. Pac designed an adapter that allows people to do it anyways. Also with today's digital world, its gonna make it easier for guys like pac to develop something. Might take time, but I am sure they will let you know.

The only thing is warranty! You will have none....ha

Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Billybobs
Default Waiting Patiently

About to buy 2013 Ram 1500 with 8.4a and NO BACKUP CAMERA... don't want or need Nav, but really want to add backup camera. I will wait (patiently) for details. Hopefully eventually it will come.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ram Radio's Please Read