4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff and transfer case service

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM
rdculus
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff and transfer case service

Dont Know why this information is so hard to get but, Ive searched this and other forums and visited my dealer keep getting different answers from everyone.

I want to do a diff and transfer case service on my 2010 1500 sport, trying to figure out what fluid to put in each of those, I dont want anything special amsoil, royal purple ect. just want to replace whatever it came with.

The manual says:
75w-90 for the front differential,
75W-140 for the rear axle, Limited-Slip Rear Axles require the addition
of (4 oz.)
Limited Slip Additive
and ATF+4 in the transfer case unless you have a NV246 transfer case then you need NV246 ATF

My Dealer said 75w-90 in the front diff and 75-140 in the rear diff and NO LSD additive, i told them I have the 3.92 lsd and they said it doesnt matter it doesnt need the additive :S
They also sold me NV246 atf for the transfer case after I gave them the serial #

on the forums Ive read that some trucks have a BW 44-44 transfer case that requires a different fluid all together, no mention of this by the dealer or the manual.

Its kind of frustrating because this info should be readily available, but its not.
How do I determine what transfer case I have? it has the auto 4wd feature, I would crawl under it and look but my wife uses it everyday and shes not around much.
Do I use the LSD additive or not?

Thanks for the help

Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

The manual is correct. You may not want to buy their fliuds but Amsoil has a application chart. www.amsoil.com I have 80w140 Severe gear and a bottle of liminted slip additive in the differential on my truck. Amsoil says MIGHT need additive. I use it before I know if it MIGHT or not. Some using gear oils that say MIGHT need additive use 2 ounces and drive it. If any judder on turns they put in the other two ounces. Some gear oil is suppose to have enough additive already in it but I use it anyway as many do.

Last edited by hounddogg; 12-29-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 AM
rolltidehemi
Captain

look under car at transfer case it should have a tab with info, mine says 246, just did mine, very simple. if you have 4 selections on your dash for 2wd, 4auto, etc. its most likely a 246.

If you have the LSD use the additive its that simple.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Differential....
Dealer says Friction Modifier is not needed because Most quality Synthetic Gear oils have modifier already in them. I used Mobil 1 LT 75w-140 and have driven and towed 11kmi with no issue's at all. The sign that you would need it would be chatter going around a turn.

Transfercase.....
NV243 is a PART-TIME 4wd T-case.
NV246 is a Full-Time 4wd case such as AWD and Auto-4wd.

If you have AWD truck or an Auto-4wd button, then you have the NV246.
If you Only have 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo as options, you have Parttime 4wd.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

The dealers I have talked to techs say they add it everything because too many come back juddering. I've heard the same at Chevy and Ford stores also.. I use it as stated in my above post.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rdculus
Dont Know why this information is so hard to get but, Ive searched this and other forums and visited my dealer keep getting different answers from everyone.

I want to do a diff and transfer case service on my 2010 1500 sport, trying to figure out what fluid to put in each of those, I dont want anything special amsoil, royal purple ect. just want to replace whatever it came with.

The manual says:
75w-90 for the front differential,
75W-140 for the rear axle, Limited-Slip Rear Axles require the addition
of (4 oz.)
Limited Slip Additive
and ATF+4 in the transfer case unless you have a NV246 transfer case then you need NV246 ATF

My Dealer said 75w-90 in the front diff and 75-140 in the rear diff and NO LSD additive, i told them I have the 3.92 lsd and they said it doesnt matter it doesnt need the additive :S
They also sold me NV246 atf for the transfer case after I gave them the serial #

on the forums Ive read that some trucks have a BW 44-44 transfer case that requires a different fluid all together, no mention of this by the dealer or the manual.

Its kind of frustrating because this info should be readily available, but its not.
How do I determine what transfer case I have? it has the auto 4wd feature, I would crawl under it and look but my wife uses it everyday and shes not around much.
Do I use the LSD additive or not?

Thanks for the help

rdculus,

I would recommend following the information provided in your Owner's Manual. If you'd like to PM me your VIN# I can review what transfer case the vehicle came with from factory and any other inquiries you may have.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
rdculus
Veteran

Thanks all for the replies,
Dodge cares I got a build sheet for the truck, tells me I have a DH8P Elec Shift On Demand Transfer Case, didn't know what that was so I looked under the truck for the tag, I have NV246 t-case so I drained it and refilled with mopar nv246 fluid.
Dirtydog I was planning on using mopar oil in the rear diff and when I asked the dealer about the modifier they asked what year it was and said it wasn't needed on the newer trucks.
I'm not sure the mopar oil contains the same extra additives as the amsoil/royal purple that can run without the modifier.
Rolltidehemi you are correct in identifying the t-cases however there is also a be 44-44 that has the auto function but I believe it was only used on some newer 11-12 trucks

I put 75w-90 synthetic in the front diff

Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
rdculus
Veteran

I deceided to wait to change the rear diff as I just got the pinion nut recall in the mail, what are the chances that they will have to drain the oil when performing the recall repair?
Here's DodgeCares reply:
"They have not released a copy of the repair procedure for the pinion nut as of yet but they will definitely have to take the cover off the rear end to perform the recall, so a fluid replacement will take place at that time."

If this is correct I don't want to change the oil just to have the tech dump it in a few weeks...

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I will post what is involved as far as the recall repair procedure as soon as I obtain it. Trying to get it now.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
rdculus
Veteran

Any update on the repair procedure dodgecares?

I'm getting conflicting info, during our last correspondence you stated

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
They have not released a copy of the repair procedure for the pinion nut as of yet but they will definitely have to take the cover off the rear end to perform the recall, so a fluid replacement will take place at that time.
I spoke to the dealer and they told me they would not remove the rear diff cover and the fluid would not be replaced.
They plan on removing the defective nut and reinstalling with a replacement nut once parts are available.
They could not provide me with an estimate on when they would receive parts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diff and transfer case service