4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Ticking sound when coasting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:45 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockme87
After calling FCA Canada to complain that is is not a normal hemi characteristic. i was asked to return to the dealer once more (7th time) for diagnosis and repair. i was assigned a case manager as well. the car was in the shop for a week but happy to report the mds noise is gone and cars power has been regained. Below please see what they did to fix the issue. i hope this helps as well with your trucks.

ps. the dealer said they found the fix on a website forum unrelated to dodge.
KG, thanks for sharing your experience. Nice to see that FCA stepped up for you. It'd be nice if they had a broader brush in that regard. Did the dealer let slip the details associated with the unrelated website forum?

Cheers

Old 07-18-2015, 02:10 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional

Originally Posted by Dusty48
I'm not sure about the chain or the harmonic balancer, but the tensioners are quite different.
That's what I thought too. I've since done some excavation with the part numbers associated with the Hemi engines across all the platforms that have employed the beast since 2009. The parts (timing chain, tensioner, guide, phaser and sprocket) that were common to the 09-12 vehicles subject to the Customer Satisfaction Notification (Challenger, Charger and 300), were also common to the 5.7 engines installed in the trucks, the Durango and the Grand Cherokee. Hmmm...

Last edited by CHILLYPOND; 07-18-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:18 AM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHILLYPOND
That's what I thought too. I've since done some excavation with the part numbers associated with the Hemi engines across all the platforms that have employed the beast since 2009. The parts (timing chain, tensioner, guide, phaser and sprocket) that were common to the 09-12 vehicles subject to the Customer Satisfaction Notification (Challenger, Charger and 300), were also common to the 5.7 engines installed in the trucks, the Durango and the Grand Cherokee. Hmmm...

Hmmm. Interesting.

When I first heard of the chain tensioner recall on 300/Challenger/Charger, I asked specifically if the parts were the same in the trucks. At that time the Chrysler parts list did show different numbers for the tensioners. At the time a tech. told me they were different as well. I did see the old versus new part, but I'm thinking now those were car examples and maybe not for a truck motor. (As an aside, the 5.7 chains sure are small.)

But you've inspired my curiosity once again and I'll recheck.

Thanks for the info.

Best regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 023139 miles.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Jaspf

Hmmm. Interesting.

When I first heard of the chain tensioner recall on 300/Challenger/Charger, I asked specifically if the parts were the same in the trucks. At that time the Chrysler parts list did show different numbers for the tensioners. At the time a tech. told me they were different as well. I did see the old versus new part, but I'm thinking now those were car examples and maybe not for a truck motor. (As an aside, the 5.7 chains sure are small.)

But you've inspired my curiosity once again and I'll recheck.

Thanks for the info.

Best regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 023139 miles.
After making contact with dealer owner as a last chance for them to do something. We have come to an agreement to have this so called timing chain replace this Wednesday with no garuantee of it being fixed, but I did draw their interest a little when I mentioned about the possibility of the issue and the recalled part in the states. It's also interesting to note that also coming from the owner himself that chyslers intent is to really never help the customer . Period. It seems the only way to get through and have results is through a dealer that may understand the frustration. I only asked cause I was trying to get a understanding of who's responsibility it truly is. The manufacturer? Or the dealer who sells you the vehicle. Needless to say they are not on the same page and the owner himself seems just as frustrated with chyslers tactics. Just a heads up and I'll also post an update. Hopefully by this Friday I can come.back and let everyone know that my truck is good to go. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jaspf
... It's also interesting to note that also coming from the owner himself that chyslers intent is to really never help the customer . Period. It seems the only way to get through and have results is through a dealer that may understand the frustration. I only asked cause I was trying to get a understanding of who's responsibility it truly is. The manufacturer? Or the dealer who sells you the vehicle. Needless to say they are not on the same page and the owner himself seems just as frustrated with chyslers tactics.

You'll have to excuse me, but my BS meter just went to full scale.

It's pretty easy for the dealer to point fingers to someone when you're a captured audience and the other folks aren't there to represent themselves. But the facts are that the company (Chrysler) is far more motivated in pleasing you than the dealer.

When you first took your truck in for this problem they likely filed a warranty reimbursement claim for the labor/and any parts used. As with any manufacturer, if the vehicles returns for the same problem within a certain timeframe the factory will not pay any reimbursement claim because they expect the dealer's service department to resolve the issue the first time or against the standard hours. This is standard operating procedure across the industry, by the way.

This scenario can start with the technician, who may have taken all of the flat rate hours for repair up front to get paid a little more. Or, the service department management could have fudged the techs. hours to boost the service department's balance sheet for the month.

Dealership service managers have some discretionary budget for situations like yours, or when the service department is trying to win over a new service customer and cover something (labor/parts) that are technically out of warranty. There is sometimes pressure put on the service department budgets to control spending, either because the service department is over budget, or the owner needs to cover losses or other red financial issues in the front part of the store (sales).

The factories also are controlling the service budget for warranty claims by limiting the amount any dealer can submit in a one month period. If warranty work exceeds the monthly factory set limit, the service department must either cover it themselves or push the work into the next month, either by having you return of fudging the dates on the paperwork.

Since I believe you stated that your vehicle had been in for this problem multiple times, I'm suspicious they were not enthusiastic about spending much time with diagnosis since no technician was going to get paid for their effort. Maybe the technical staff is not up to the challenge, especially since this is not a very commonly seen problem. My dealer, for example, only had two with this MDS issue, mine being one of them.

I happen to know that Chrysler has engineering assistance available to the technical staff and any tech. can contact engineering and open a STAR case. This just recently happened to me on my 2014 with an ABS problem that nobody had ever seen before, and was quickly resolved with factory assistance!

Frankly, I think your dealer is doing you, Chrysler (the company), and himself a significant disfavor by making unprofessional statements that you say were made to you. In fact, I'm thinking that since Chrysler listens to these websites and reads peoples stories, some conversation with the dealer might be taking place in the future.

I sincerely hope your problem is resolved this time and looking forward to see what progress has been made.

Best regards,
Dusty
P.S. Former Technical Field Representative, Buick Motor Div.
P.P.S. I am not now or ever been an employee of Chrysler Corporation, or FCA, or any affiliate or subsidiary.

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 023314 miles.

Last edited by Dusty48; 07-20-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Jaspf

You'll have to excuse me, but my BS meter just went to full scale.

It's pretty easy for the dealer to point fingers to someone when you're a captured audience and the other folks aren't there to represent themselves. But the facts are that the company (Chrysler) is far more motivated in pleasing you than the dealer.

When you first took your truck in for this problem they likely filed a warranty reimbursement claim for the labor/and any parts used. As with any manufacturer, if the vehicles returns for the same problem within a certain timeframe the factory will not pay any reimbursement claim because they expect the dealer's service department to resolve the issue the first time or against the standard hours. This is standard operating procedure across the industry, by the way.

This scenario can start with the technician, who may have taken all of the flat rate hours for repair up front to get paid a little more. Or, the service department management could have fudged the techs. hours to boost the service department's balance sheet for the month.

Dealership service managers have some discretionary budget for situations like yours, or when the service department is trying to win over a new service customer and cover something (labor/parts) that are technically out of warranty. There is sometimes pressure put on the service department budgets to control spending, either because the service department is over budget, or the owner needs to cover losses or other red financial issues in the front part of the store (sales).

The factories also are controlling the service budget for warranty claims by limiting the amount any dealer can submit in a one month period. If warranty work exceeds the monthly factory set limit, the service department must either cover it themselves or push the work into the next month, either by having you return of fudging the dates on the paperwork.

Since I believe you stated that your vehicle had been in for this problem multiple times, I'm suspicious they were not enthusiastic about spending much time with diagnosis since no technician was going to get paid for their effort. Maybe the technical staff is not up to the challenge, especially since this is not a very commonly seen problem. My dealer, for example, only had two with this MDS issue, mine being one of them.

I happen to know that Chrysler has engineering assistance available to the technical staff and any tech. can contact engineering and open a STAR case. This just recently happened to me on my 2014 with an ABS problem that nobody had ever seen before, and was quickly resolved with factory assistance!

Frankly, I think your dealer is doing you, Chrysler (the company), and himself a significant disfavor by making unprofessional statements that you say were made to you. In fact, I'm thinking that since Chrysler listens to these websites and reads peoples stories, some conversation with the dealer might be taking place in the future.

I sincerely hope your problem is resolved this time and looking forward to see what progress has been made.

Best regards,
Dusty
P.S. Former Technical Field Representative, Buick Motor Div.
P.P.S. I am not now or ever been an employee of Chrysler Corporation, or FCA, or any affiliate or subsidiary.

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 023314 miles.
Thanks for all that info Rusty. I just wanted to let you all know they seems to be a huge disconnect between the two which either the dealer or chyrsler can own up to. I would assume both play an important part or should anyways. Point blank my issue with chrysler is the fact they are making things seems like I'm the first ever with this sort of problem. If I was and they new how to fix then why can't they seem to properly quide the dealer techs on what to do. As for the desler they are simply just scratching their the head and totally at lose giving me the most unrealistic diagnosis of what they think is wrong or happening. One day they think it's MDS and the next it could be an electrical issue to the after market exausted to a program issue. Any digging or fixing they have done has cause from the knowledge I'm getting from this form. Anyways rusty I'm sure you get the sense I'm getting a clouded response from both sides. As far as my conversations with chrysler trying to help fix this situation they have been unhelpful and rude for the most part. That's just my experience in which I'm speaking of which leads me to think like mentioned before that they really don't have a clue where to go with this or they do and since ita a chrysler 5.7l / MDS patent which I assume they don't want to face the problem right now. At the end of the day I been patient and made clear I'm not looking for an over night miracle. Just someone step up and show they are working to do whatever it takes to fix the problem whether it be tomorrow or months from now. I'm left to try and figure out who's problem it really is. Thanks for the insight.

P.s I really hope there is Chrysler staff taking a look at this particular thread then maybe they can realive this is not a one person deal.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

After 3 unsuccessful attempts at repairing my ticking Ram, and no solution in sight I am out. Taking the buyback for my 2009 Ram. Had enough. Have been a loyal Chrysler customer for 30 years, they just lost me. Looking at other brands.....hard as that is to do.....

The following users liked this post:
frozeninWi (04-11-2024)
Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Jaspf

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
After 3 unsuccessful attempts at repairing my ticking Ram, and no solution in sight I am out. Taking the buyback for my 2009 Ram. Had enough. Have been a loyal Chrysler customer for 30 years, they just lost me. Looking at other brands.....hard as that is to do.....
Hi I just had the timing chain replaced last Friday. For the first time no noise coming from truck. Usually within a few miles I hear the noise. Fingers crossed. I'm still agitated that the dealer and Chrysler are not taking the responsibility they should. It's pretty sad me as a customer had to point them to timing chain based on a post someone listed hear about a recall down in the states. The dealer dosent to recognize it nor does chrysler canada. I'm still looking for answers with this of this seems to be the fix. Why is this recall not recognized in Canada? I have my theories and who his the individual who suggested to chrysler to cease trying to work on truck because it's drive able and poses not safety risk, but ask anyone what the possible severe outcomes could come out of blowing your TC at highway speed. Needless to say after 2 and a half years this may be fixed. For now. It might be worth a shot for you as well. I'm in the process of getting some serious answers from all parties. The past few years have a been a living hell with my dodge and I to will never go back. I'm just not willing to refinance into another dodge to make the problem go away as they suggested. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:59 PM
CHILLYPOND
Professional

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
Can sympathize with that. Almost 40 yrs of Plymouths and Dodges but this one seems bound and determined to push me over the edge.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 PM
CHILLYPOND
Professional

Originally Posted by Jaspf
Hi I just had the timing chain replaced last Friday. For the first time no noise coming from truck.
That's good news. I've been skeptical of the timing chain as being causal to this rattling/ticking issue but I'm warming up to the idea.

You state that the timing chain was replaced. We should assume then that the sprockets, tensioner and guide were replaced too? Did you have a chance to observe the wear and tear on these items?

Thanks,

Keith

Quick Reply: Ticking sound when coasting?