4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Ticking sound when coasting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM
mezerr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dusty48
Switching into Tow/Haul Mode does more than switching off the MDS. It also puts the vehicle in 4th gear.
Fine.. then press the DOWN button on the column shifter and put it in 6th gear.. then coast. Does the noise go away? This also turns the MDS off, but doesn't send it to 4th gear.

The following users liked this post:
Pvt Pyle (03-03-2022)
Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Dusty48
Veteran
Default UPDATE: Ticking sound at coast down

Since my last post about this problem I have installed new factory front brake pads and rotors, and this has apparently changed the symptoms. I changed the front brakes because the rotors were exhibiting severe hard spot symptoms.

First, although I cannot adequately describe the difference, the ticking noise has changed and no longer seems as metallic in nature.

Second. The noise completely disappears when applying the brakes, every time. So by doing something I've changed something.

I don't know why this never dawned on me before, but the connection to the brakes made me realize that the sound appears to be synchronous with the revolution speed of the wheels.

I found that one slider pin on each front caliber mounting bracket (what Chrysler calls the adaptor) was rusted frozen and the rotors were highly glazed. I actually had quite a bit of pad left, which surprised me at 83,000 miles.

Although the rear pads are not even half worn, the condition of the rear rotors appear to be the same as the old front rotors: highly glazed. So I'm thinking of tearing the rear brakes apart and probably replacing at least the rotors.

As an aside, I could not believe how much better this truck stops with new pads and rotors.

I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.

Best regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 83,000 miles.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM
mezerr
Professional

I don't know why this never dawned on me before, but the connection to the brakes made me realize that [I]the sound appears to be synchronous with the revolution speed of the wheels.
While driving, put the truck in neutral and coast. If the noise is still present, chances are it's not an MDS or engine noise.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by mezerr
While driving, put the truck in neutral and coast. If the noise is still present, chances are it's not an MDS or engine noise.

Well, maybe it's the change in temperature (we went from low 60s to mid-70s), but yesterday the symptoms set is back to what it originally was.

Putting the transmission in the TRS mode and driving in 5th gear, no sound at coast down.

Selecting Tow/Haul mode, no sound at coast down.

Putting the transmission into neutral, the sound disappears.

In normal driving mode the sound disappears at around 1200 RPM regardless of road speed.

The common factor with all four is the MDS. (MDS is off in neutral, Tow/Haul mode, TRS mode, and at or just above idle. I specifically watched the ECO indicator and sure enough when the ECO indicator goes off on coast down, the noise disappears.

Oddly, I've also noticed lately that the engine idle is somewhat rough at 650 RPM. Normally it idles at 500 RPM in gear after warm-up, but lately it seems to idle to 500 RPM after a stop and then raise to 650 RPM after a few seconds. This is roughly the same idle speed you would see when you switch on the air conditioning. This is not consistent and I'm not sure this is related.

Next stop, my local Dodge dealer.

Regards,
Dusty

2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 83,000 miles.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:21 PM
mezerr
Professional

It's an MDS noise.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Dusty48
Veteran
Default Ticking Noise in ECO Mode: Problem Resolved(?)

As previously posted, the ticking noise from my 2010 Ram 5.7 appears to have been resolved. Before I share what fixed it, I'd like to poll those of you that have had this problem with the following questions:

1. Please advise on any repairs to the engine that may have been performed within the last year.

2. What type of motor oil are you using (i.e.: manufacturer, viscosity, blend name).

Thanks,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 84,000 miles.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 AM
kurt11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Noise when coasting under 40mph with MDS on

As previously posted, the ticking noise from my 2010 Ram 5.7 appears to have been resolved. Before I share what fixed it, I'd like to poll those of you that have had this problem with the following questions:

1. Please advise on any repairs to the engine that may have been performed within the last year.

2. What type of motor oil are you using (i.e.: manufacturer, viscosity, blend name).

Thanks,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 84,000 miles.
I have the same problem regarding the ticking noise while coasting under 40 MPH with the MDS on. The oil I'm using is what the dealer changes it with, which I believe to be Pennzoil 5W-20 conventional motor oil. What is the resolve to this ticking noise.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 PM
tmartinagrtan1500ram
Default dusty 48 what was the problem

i just recently got mine second hand i dont know what oil was used in it last i would like to find out the problem, it go me stumped and is it an easy fix

Old 06-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

I have the same noise when coasting and it goes away when MDS is off. I think its just the sound of the lifters or pistons not firing. It has never stalled or caused any problem. I am not a fan of the MDS but it does help on Gas. Some claim that even with their MDS off mileage does not change. (Don't Believe it!) Although reliable for the most part these Hemi's have their quirks.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 PM
sottis
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey dusty48, just an aside - what brand brake pads did you put on?

Quick Reply: Ticking sound when coasting?