4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Ticking sound when coasting?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Zachlaforce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking sound when coasting?

Hey guys, ive got a 2010 hemi. Basically what happens is if there is no strain on the motor and I have my windows down I can hear a ticking sound very similar to a bicycle coasting without pedaling. As soon as I touch the gas it dissapears. Also no tick at idle. Only think I can think of is maybe some belt/ component for the cyl shut off. Anyone hear of this or know if maybe a belt kicks in when that turns on? Thanks

Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM
mezerr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn ON TOW/HAUL mode. This turned OFF MDS. See if noise goes away.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Zachlaforce
Red face

Originally Posted by mezerr
Turn ON TOW/HAUL mode. This turned OFF MDS. See if noise goes away.
The noise instantly goes away when I turn on tow/haul. Thanks for the tip! Will look into MDS conponents a bit more.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM
02Regcab
Professional

Check your oil level maybe a little low and making lifter noise in MDS

Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Zachlaforce

So seems that nobody has heard of this online. I called 6 dealers as well and best answer I got was check intake to see if the foam is still there to muffle noises. The sound is quite loud so can't see it being that but ill look after work anyway. Anybody else have an idea of what to look at? Could the solenoid be cutting back the oil too much?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by Zachlaforce
The noise instantly goes away when I turn on tow/haul. Thanks for the tip! Will look into MDS conponents a bit more.
Switching into Tow/Haul Mode does more than switching off the MDS. It also puts the vehicle in 4th gear.

I seem to have the same noise and from what I can tell I've had it for a while.

When I coast down to around 20 MPH it goes away, and sometimes I've heard it stop when I apply the brakes. At higher vehicle speeds I cannot hear it, even when I'm in a tunnel or passing along those concrete construction barriers. It appears to be predominant at coast downs under 40 MPH. It always goes away when I slip the transmission into neutral.

Racing the engine does not produce any noises, even at road speed.

My suspicion is exhaust leak or torque converter.

Regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 83,000 miles.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:00 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting, so basically it is no tick at lower RPMs or higher RPMS, only mid range RPMs. Do not rule out the fan clutch I guess. There are just so many things it could be....

Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 AM
LU229
Banned

You might be hearing torque convertor rattling.
CarGuyOhio said it best, could be anything.
Its very hard to diagnois problems over a forum.
Find a GOOD competent dodge dealership, and GOOD LUCK...!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by LU229
You might be hearing torque convertor rattling.
CarGuyOhio said it best, could be anything.
Its very hard to diagnois problems over a forum.
Find a GOOD competent dodge dealership, and GOOD LUCK...!
Yes, one of my first thoughts was a converter. This is different than any noisy torque converter I've heard in the past. Usually they will rattle when you apply a lot of power or at a shift (older GMs). This is almost always caused by a loose vane.

Never heard of one on coast down.

As someone else just commented, at this point it could be anything. I think I'm going to ask the techs at my dealer to put the ears on this one. I don't have a lot of warranty left, so if its a torque converter I'd like to resolve it now.

Best regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 83,000 miles.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

For the past few months my 2009 RAM had a ticking sound not unlike when we were kids and put cards in our bicycle spokes. ONLY did it on coast down or when the engine was unloaded and MDS on. It got louder and louder so I took it in and they replaced a bent pushrod on an intake valve. The (MDS) lifter for that pushrod had a "failed latch" whatever that is. It is my opinion the failed lifter caused the bent pushrod. They put it all back together and STILL had that sound, they replaced all MDS lifters and then it finally went away. I looked on the internet and found that bad MDS lifters are NOT uncommon to the 5.7L Hemi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking sound when coasting?