4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn Bug Report

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 AM
HKS
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of posr

Works OK now.

HKS

Originally Posted by HKS
Why is it that I can only locate this thread by doing an advanced search under my HKS? Is the tread hidden from view to others?

I should be able to find it under "4th Gen Ram Tech".

HKS

Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default New 2013 Ram Radio.. Uconnect still not working

Went 3200 miles with the bad radio. NAV useless in rural areas and quit talking to me in Los Angeles where I needed it most. Lucky I had my TomTom along.

When registering Uconnect we get the message "Your VIN has encountered a critical error with the Master database. Please launch ASSIST to get problem sorted out with care agent. Then " phone not set up" . Blue tooth works ok. Looks like catch 22 with Uconnect.

My theory is this: The dealer claims that Chrysler should have registered the new radio before shipping and I think the dealer should register the radio after installation. Let me know if I am on the right track.

Now I have 4300 miles on the new truck and I have to wait another 5 days for an answer to the problem. I still wish I had my $595 back and I would live with the bad radio.

HKS

Originally Posted by TNtech
The majority of updates will come after the fact...if there is a widespread issue showing itself. It's not as simple as finding it while in assembly. There is no way they can prepare for every possible issue up front.

Machines and computers.....

Last edited by HKS; 06-07-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS
Went 3200 miles with the bad radio. NAV useless in rural areas and quit talking to me in Los Angeles where I needed it most. Lucky I had my TomTom along.

When registering Uconnect we get the message like "Master database error" call for assistance then the message " phone not set up" . Blue tooth works ok. Looks like catch 22 with Uconnect.

My theory is this: The dealer claims that Chrysler should have registered the new radio before shipping and I think the dealer should register the radio after installation. Let me know if I am on the right track.

Now I have 4300 miles on the new truck and I have to wait another 5 days for an answer to the problem. I still wish I had my $595 back and I would live with the bad radio.

HKS
They need to go in and get the serials manually, not just off the paperwork or VIN options list. Make the phone calls and get it ironed out. Someone could have entered the information wrong somewhere down the line.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM
HKS
Amateur
Default Critical error

Thanks TNtech,

I appreciate input.

HKS

They need to go in and get the serials manually, not just off the paperwork or VIN options list. Make the phone calls and get it ironed out. Someone could have entered the information wrong somewhere down the line.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

NP. They should have been all over this for you already. Harrassing the he77 out of Star tech or something

Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default Call From Chrysler Today

Chrysler called back and told me to tell the dealer to get all the serial numbers of the new radio and register it with Chrysler/Dodge.

I must be dealing with Performance Dodge Amateurs her in Lincoln NE.
I hope they do not have to pull the radio to read the serial numbers.
HKS

Originally Posted by HKS
Thanks TNtech,

I appreciate input.

HKS
Originally Posted by HKS

When registering Uconnect we get the message "Your VIN has encountered a critical error with the Master database. Please launch ASSIST to get problem sorted out with care agent. Then " phone not set up" . Blue tooth works ok. Looks like catch 22 with Uconnect.

HKS

Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

They need to go in and get the serials manually, not just off the paperwork or VIN options list. Then make the phone calls and get it ironed out. Someone could have entered the information wrong somewhere down the line.

Originally Posted by HKS
Chrysler called back and told me to tell the dealer to get all the serial numbers of the new radio and register it with Chrysler/Dodge.
So, you can see that you and I are a few days ahead of the dealer and the person on the phone at Chrysler. The Chrysler rep is probably getting their info from where the tech SHOULD be getting his info. Not all dealers are created equal, so we certainly can't group them all together. The level of "give a crap" can vary greatly. Chrysler needs to focus more on motivating the techs as a separate entity rather than VIA the dealer itself. That would help tons.

I hope the process speeds up for you now. Keep us updated.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-07-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 PM
HKS
Amateur
Default Uconnect Working Finaly

Final report on this.

Chrysler advised that the dealer needs to register the serial numbers of the radio/GPS 8.4" center unit. This required pulling the radio to get serial numbers. It took two more days before all was clear.

Day 1 AM. There was still the database error but it allowed me to contact support via Uconnect. I entered my email on Uconnect in vehicle.
Went to finish registration via Internet and I would not allow me to use the e-mail address I used to initiate the in vehicle registration. I then used another e-mail address to finish the registration.

Day 1 PM . Went to vehicle and tried to begin registration process again. Got master database error again. This time, I think, it was because the new email address did not match the registration e-mail address, I guess.
I explained all my theories to the lady helping through Uconnect assistance.
Day 2 PM. All is well.

I still want my $595 back for the GPS activation. I have no confidence in the GPS and I do not want to pay an estimated $75 per month including Uconnect plus WIFI Hot Spot.

I would like the WIFI Hot Spot without Uconnect. WIFI Hot Spot is a $34 monthly charge on top of the Uconnect charge. I had not figured on this.

Day 3. Tried the remote start and remote Horn using Internet. I woke up the neighborhood twice. I had to log off and wait for the horn to time out. I expected a couple of beeps. There was no Horn cancel option on the website only a remote start cancel option.
HKS

Originally Posted by HKS
Thanks TNtech,

I appreciate input.

HKS

Last edited by HKS; 06-14-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Brummo
Captain

Originally Posted by HKS
dodgeforum.com is the best. The other site is a nightmare to wade through.

HKS
I love the fact that there are Techs on here and some people here that can actually give answers and guidance.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 AM
HKS
Amateur

More 2013 Crew Cab issues. #1 The new radio has crakling static on all AM stations. Some connector was probably damaged by removing the NAV/Radio several times.

#2 The 8 speed transmission does not disconnect the torque converter clutch before stopping. You can feel it disengage after a complete stop. I imagine reprograming the shift points may be in order. More later. Getting tired of going to the dealer for half my life. I am thinking maybe the 3.6 L V6 and simple radio system would be a better way to go.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn Bug Report