4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Ipods work with UConnect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Ipods work with UConnect?

My car was broken into last night and my ipod was stolen among other things. I looked everywhere but can't find which "ipods" are compatible with Uconnect. I know on my chevy it was 4th gen and higher.

I ONLY leave the ipod in the car and never take it out, so I don't need any special features or touch screens or anything else.

Do all "versions" work? (like can I get a 1st or 2nd gen?) or does it need to be a newer one? (my old one that worked great was a 5th gen)

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM
wilcon76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a classic. The old big style with the massive HD in it with no issues. For the money I would just get a nice iPod Nano $150 and you're done.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 PM
eberhard.dan

If you're going to leave it in the car I suggest going to the apple website or calling them. What a lot of people don't know if apple has a "refurbished" line. Often times these are orders that are sent out and returned. Even if an order is sent out and cancelled before it arrives it automatically goes to refurb. These products are discounted. I bought a refurb laptop and it was in mint condition.

If you don't want to buy new then look on ebay. I have a gen 2 ipod that works just fine with it. The newer nanos are quite good however.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

I was going to get an older one, but the newer ones were oddly... cheaper. 7th gen 16 GB nano refurb for $99 through the apple store student/teacher program (I'm a college professor).

Good to know the classics work too. I might look on craigslist because some of the old style ones are pretty cheap. I see a bunch of 30 gigs for about $40. My other Daily-Driver has an Ipod interface as well, but it doesn't control the ipod. Maybe I'll send my new nano to that, and put the ipod classic in the ram and just stash it.

Thanks for both of your perspectives. I didn't know the older gens would work but that can save a lot of money. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Got the ipod- Its pretty cool but it doesn't look like it works with the rams! AHHH!

Maybe I have to go buy a classic now. Does anyone know how to make the ones with a lightning cable work? Has anyone gotten a newer one to work?

I started a new thread to address it because I thought it was different than this question, but in retrospect it probably could have gone in here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...h-the-ram.html

Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 AM
xsdbs
Captain

What iPod did you get?

Pretty much most of the iPods will work with the Uconnect system. Which radio do you have? Can you describe what is happening when you plug the iPod cable into the USB connector?
Your vehicle is a 2011, is this correct? If it is and is one of the following radios (RES, REQ, RBZ, RHB) have you had any of the TSB SW updates for the Uconnect system performed.
The newer iPods that have the lightening cable work fine also. The cable has the lightening connector at one end and a USB connect at the other. Just plug the USB side into the USB connector in the glovebox.

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
Got the ipod- Its pretty cool but it doesn't look like it works with the rams! AHHH!

Maybe I have to go buy a classic now. Does anyone know how to make the ones with a lightning cable work? Has anyone gotten a newer one to work?

I started a new thread to address it because I thought it was different than this question, but in retrospect it probably could have gone in here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...h-the-ram.html

Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
plumcrazy73
Captain

I have a 5th gen NANO that i bought from game stop for 60 bucks that works just fine. 16 GB

Quick Reply: What Ipods work with UConnect?