4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Uneven front bumper.... I'm speechless!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 PM
hattitude
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Try not to get too dramatic about this, I mean jeeze if you didn't notice it when you bought it how bad could it be.
I wasn't trying to be dramatic..... sorry if it came off that way. I just keep my vehicles as perfect as I possibly can, both cosmetically and mechanically. I know some people can drive around for years in a car/truck with body parts hanging off. I'm just not one of those people

I didn't notice it until I was waxing the truck for the first time. Now, I can see it every time I approach the truck from the front.

I must admit I was a little shocked to find out there is no way to adjust the front bumper.... That's like body shop 101. I posted to see if others had a similar experience and to try to figure out if the dealer was shining me on...

I must admit, it kinda makes me wonder what else they did that was "just good enough"....... Certainly strikes me as a very poor design.....

Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM
mike2810
Captain

Have you tried taking it to a different dealer. Any dealer will do warranty work.
I would not wait to long to open a case with Ram. Sooner you document, the better.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hattitude
I must admit, it kinda makes me wonder what else they did that was "just good enough"....... Certainly strikes me as a very poor design.....
Pretty standard design. Its a truck, not a BMW. Problem is that the BMW owners seem to be buying trucks now because they are cool

Grab a wrench, slide under the front of the truck - loosen a few bolts and straighten it out if it bothers you. I'm all for having dealers take care of real problems, but this one isn't worth the time it would take to set up the appointment drive there and have them take care of it.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
MacDak
Professional

hat, I read your post on another Ram forum. From whatever read, it doesn't seem the new bumpers an be adjusted by bolts. I don't know, but I think somebody said it's not just an easy adjustment on new Rams. I don't care if it ain't nary BMW, or whatever. Hey, it ain't rocket science to install bumpers right!! Makes me wonder if some of them dope using knuckleheads did the work on old hat's truck! And, on a heap of other Rams for that matter. And, right. If a part like bumper is not right, makes me wonder what other sloppy mess work they do on more critical parts. Ram buyers DO NOT NEED this kind of sloppiness for other truckers to mock.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

If you're worried about the opposing competition owners mocking your truck... Be sure to point out that RAM has a fully boxed frame design, unlike the competition. Ford guys love that, lol!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM
hattitude
Professional

Grab a wrench, slide under the front of the truck - loosen a few bolts and straighten it out if it bothers you.
That's the problem. I'm being told there is no adjustment on the RAM, chrome front bumpers..... thus my poor design comment.

On another RAM forum, people are saying it's been a problem since 2010. One guy drilled out the mounting points to adjust his bumper.... not sure it bothers me THAT much...

Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Listen, when you spend 40K on a new truck you have EVERY right to expect the bumper to be aligned correctly. It bothers you so don't let anyone tell you what is or is not important to YOU. Go back to that dealer and DEMAND the bumper be fixed to your liking. If they refuse ask for the service manager, be polite but remind him your intention is to buy your next new truck there until such time as you decide you are not happy with them. If I gave in to the dealer every time something was not resolved my truck would be on blocks by now - believe me! Be polite and respectful all times but be firm. As for brand X owners giving you a bad time, tell them to talk to your tail lights…..

Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 AM
oldjeep
Champion

That's the problem. I'm being told there is no adjustment on the RAM, chrome front bumpers..... thus my poor design comment.

On another RAM forum, people are saying it's been a problem since 2010. One guy drilled out the mounting points to adjust his bumper.... not sure it bothers me THAT much...
Then they must have changed something because a 2009 has some slop for adjustment. Make sure you are looking at both sides of the bumper mount for some wiggle room.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM
oldjeep
Champion

And also, it is only 4 bolts to pull the whole front bumper off unless you have tow hooks - then it is 6. For whatever reason they don't use the top 2 holes in the bumper mounts, only the bottom 2.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Then they must have changed something because a 2009 has some slop for adjustment. Make sure you are looking at both sides of the bumper mount for some wiggle room.
This is true, I just looked at mine (2009), it can be adjusted to some extent. However I have the Sport bumper, perhaps it is different for the chrome ones?

Quick Reply: Uneven front bumper.... I'm speechless!!