4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Uneven front bumper.... I'm speechless!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM
hattitude
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven front bumper.... I'm speechless!!

While having a dealer fix an unrelated warranty issue, I pointed out that my front bumper was uneven.

The driver side is about 3/4" to 1" lower than the passenger side. It is most noticeable at the trim piece, just above the bumper. I noticed it while waxing my truck when it was about 1 month old. There is no damage, it obviously was delivered that way.

The service writer said he'd have the body shop look at it and fix it.

He called me a short time later, sounding rather embarrassed. He said per their body shop manager, the front bumper is not adjustable...... WHAT?!

He was told they can only adjust it so that the right side is high......... or the left side is high........ they can't make it even.......

He then said he was told that the general manager's truck has the same issue as mine, only the gap is bigger. He said they couldn't adjust his either....

I said, "So you're telling me I just have to live with an uneven front bumper?" He said, "Yes, isn't that crazy..?"

Really...... they cannot adjust a front bumper....?! Does that mean all the 2013 bumpers are uneven......?!

I am speechless......................

Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm I have a few ram 2500s and I never noticed the uneven bumpers. I'll check it out tomorrow and report back.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Thats a manufacturing fault, that should not be your problem to live with. Unacceptable QC on Ram's behalf on both the managers truck and yours. Lack of discipline of the manager for not addressing it sooner.

A new truck should be damned near perfect in this day of manufacturing tolerances.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 AM
hattitude
Professional

I'm going to wait until another minor warranty issue is fixed and then I may write a few letters to Chrysler corporate.

I want to tell them how difficult they are making a Dodge Truck fan justify ever buying another Dodge Truck....

Old 07-24-2013, 11:04 AM
jaflowers
Professional

That's bull****. I've "hurt" my front bumper a couple times and fixed the slight problems myself so I've been under the truck and seen the brackets. The bumper has two main brackets and those could easily be worked on to adjust the bumper. I think your dealer is just trying to get out of fixing it. If they won't make it right find another one or call Dodge. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

If you're referring to the metal/chrome part of the bumper then ignore this. If you have a Sport or are talking about the plastic piece above the chrome then read on...

When I was installing HIDs on my new 1500 I noticed something like that. Turns out the plastic front bumper cover was not seated into one or two of the holes in the frame. That caused it to sag and have a gap above it. It was a very simple process to just push the darts into the holes and reseat the cover the way it was supposed to be. If your issue is with the plastic cover this may be a simple resolution.

Rob

Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
jaflowers
Professional

I've had to do that too BigBlue. It's an easy fix.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge

When I was installing HIDs on my new 1500 I noticed something like that. Turns out the plastic front bumper cover was not seated into one or two of the holes in the frame. That caused it to sag and have a gap above it. It was a very simple process to just push the darts into the holes and reseat the cover the way it was supposed to be. If your issue is with the plastic cover this may be a simple resolution.

Rob
Good info to know.....

Sadly, mine is a chrome front bumper that is uneven. The plastic trim piece above the bumper appears to be straight and true.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM
oldjeep
Champion

There is plenty of slop in the mounting holes on the chrome bumper. I know because when I put on my tow hooks I put the bumper back on crooked

Try not to get too dramatic about this, I mean jeeze if you didn't notice it when you bought it how bad could it be.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by oldjeep
There is plenty of slop in the mounting holes on the chrome bumper. I know because when I put on my tow hooks I put the bumper back on crooked

Try not to get too dramatic about this, I mean jeeze if you didn't notice it when you bought it how bad could it be.
BINGO.

It's also quite possible a fastener has come a tad loose and allowed the bumper to slip down. Bumpers aren't light, you know.

Quick Reply: Uneven front bumper.... I'm speechless!!