4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When to wax your new truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:06 PM
CHRGD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the Zaino on today. The stuff is easy to use, did several coats, and as of right now, I love the shine. We'll see how it lasts, and how durable it will be. Roof shot. Will report back in a few weeks.

Name:  Zainoonthetruck2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  30.2 KB

Old 09-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Atomic Dog
Professional

Looks like a mirror!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 AM
hunter99
Amateur

I use Prima products on my vehicles. Basically for what sits outdoors they get a clay, polish, sealer on them twice a year. in between those I use a special car wash and wipe on/ wipe off sealer to keep them protected. I wash just about every week or two and use a mist on protectant while it is wet and wipe off while drying. Water never sits on the paint and always has a really deep shine.

The most important thing is know your products and what each one is made for. I use a porter cable orbital buffer with foam pads to apply the product (different pads for different products). I usually, after prepping the paint, apply a swirl reducer followed by either the sealer or I may first put on a color enhancer. That will depend on the color of the vehicle.

Sounds like a lot of work but it isn't too bad but if I use a light on my paint there are no signs of damage to the surface and no swirls either. Last tricks never use a mechanical car wash (hanging and spinning brushes) and don't use wax as a protectant use a sealer. Do some research as they are quite different. Wax is ok to restore a slick surface or lengthen the longevity of the sealer but not as primary protection. It can have odd buildup traits and breakdown too quickly. Sealers have UV inhibitors as well as other stuff to protect against environmental damage to the paint (thing acid rain and such).

Old 09-29-2013, 11:41 AM
hunter99
Amateur

Oh one last thing. The best way to prep the paint for claying is to use a good quality car wash. After washing and rinsing wash it again with a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol. It will remove protectants from the surface without damaging the actual paint. Note: Once you do this you must keep going until a protectant is on your paint.

Mileage may very but I usually do one more wash with the 50/50 mix after the claybar to get whatever is left of the spray from the process.

Quick Reply: When to wax your new truck