4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

N08 Rear End Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
These rearends have what you call a crush sleeve bearing. Meaning that you must torque the nut enough to CRUSH the sleeve and then back off a tad to the torque specs.
Huh? Never heard of a crush sleeve that you back off of after crushing. You torque to the crush spec and leave it alone.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Huh? Never heard of a crush sleeve that you back off of after crushing. You torque to the crush spec and leave it alone.
How you doing oldjeep, . I have done several of these rearends on my own trucks so I'm speaking from my experience. You can feel the slack, it's common sense...it's not rocket science to adjust them to your desired preload. And it's not a problem if you back off the nut, it's a problem if you crush the sleeve too far and then try to back off the nut. But you have to back on and off to get to the desired preload to get the play out. When it bottoms out I back it off a tad to make it perfect for me. Like I said earlier, if you over tighten them too much you can not back off and you have to get a new sleeve. I only chimed in because of this tech telling him that the spring in the seal was the cause of the vibration and that is BS with capital letters. The spring came out of the seal because there was too much slack in the bearings CAUSING the shaft to wobble and vibrate...period. The first thing that happens is the seal comes apart then fluid comes out and there goes the neighborhood, lol. I know you know your chit, I'm just trying to explain myself and I'm not too good at it. And btw, I've never ever had a pinion nut EVER back off on any 9.25 rearend or heard of it until these new rams and I've never ever used lock tite on any pinion nut ever on any rearend. I think not using lock tite is a chicken **** lame excuse from Chrysler for them coming appart. www.quad4x4.com/qu11077.html

Old 10-19-2014, 02:26 AM
nobby
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 Ram with 45,000 miles and I brought it to the dealer for the N08 recall and some whining....I guess both me and the truck.

I now have 55,000 miles on the truck and the diff has been "rebuilt" three times.

The last time (last week) the only thing left original from the original diff....was the axles.

And guess what?

It is starting to whine again at speed and I get this low drone when starting from a stop for about 2 seconds.

Ho Hum.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:40 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nobby
2010 Ram with 45,000 miles and I brought it to the dealer for the N08 recall and some whining....I guess both me and the truck.

I now have 55,000 miles on the truck and the diff has been "rebuilt" three times.

The last time (last week) the only thing left original from the original diff....was the axles.

And guess what?

It is starting to whine again at speed and I get this low drone when starting from a stop for about 2 seconds.

Ho Hum.
nobby,

I'm sorry to hear the whine is still present. Please feel free to PM me your Vehicle Identification # (VIN) and the dealer you're working with.

Thanks,

Old 10-21-2014, 12:20 PM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
nobby,

I'm sorry to hear the whine is still present. Please feel free to PM me your Vehicle Identification # (VIN) and the dealer you're working with.

Thanks,
The dealership has been great.......they are committed to getting this right.

I'll tap you in the future if the problem persists and just before warranty runs out in February.

Thanks......

Old 10-21-2014, 04:50 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nobby
The dealership has been great.......they are committed to getting this right.

I'll tap you in the future if the problem persists and just before warranty runs out in February.

Thanks......
nobby,

I'm pleased to hear your dealer is taking good care of you. Your dealer has professionally trained technicians and the necessary resources available to pinpoint the root cause.

I'm happy to help out when I can.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:23 AM
BullyT
Professional
Default More frustration....

I had the N08 recall done--dealer installed the new retainer and said everything was fine. I drove out of town for 3 hours and the rear end started to sound like it was going to drop out. It was fine prior to the retainer being added. Got it back to the dealer, and they now said it needed an overhaul...pinion bearings, etc. So they overhauled it. Now, 50,000 km later (30,000 miles) there is a loud whine from the differential. I had a bit of an issue with my transmission and had a very good local transmission shop test drive the truck. Transmission issue was minor, but the owner of the shop said "the pinion bearings are gone in your differential." Coincidentally, the owner of the shop has a 2010 Ram and the same thing happened to him at the same dealer. Took his truck in for the recall (installed retainer) and now the rear end is whining. He's taking it back, and I guess I'll be battling with the dealer myself next week. In almost 40 years of driving this is the first vehicle I've ever had differential problems with...never mind repeated issues.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:53 AM
biggcrisp
Rookie

I had the NO8 recall done. Got the complete diff rebuild. I am happy, happy. Pulled a 5,000 lbs travel trailer with no issues. Basically I have a used truck with a new rear diff.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 PM
reckster360
Amateur

I can report that I had a pinion failure. Happened last month, the entire rear end locked up on me luckily at only 30 mph or so, would advise everyone to get this done asap, dont put yourself in my situation i was in without a truck for 2 weeks.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:07 AM
nobby
Professional

So....diff number 3 has gone to schitt. Didn't last that long, either.

I had a sit down with the Chrysler service manager and a test drive.

He has given me assurances that I will be covered after my 5 year warranty is up due to the long and documented history.

Warranty runs out Feb 28 and I have the trucked scheduled for diff number 4 Feb. 17. I figured I'd get the trani and transfer case fluid changed at the same time.....give them a chance to have a look before the warranty was up.

I'm having minor surgery and will be out of commission for 2 weeks so they will keep the truck for at least a week to fix and test.

Hopefully this will be the LAST time for this problem.

This will be 6 diffs on 2 trucks over the last 3 years!

Quick Reply: N08 Rear End Recall