4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine Light...Catalytic Converter on a 2009 Hemi??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:34 PM
BullyT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light...Catalytic Converter on a 2009 Hemi??

My Check Engine light came on a few weeks ago and I've been back and forth to the dealer I several times. They've replaced a few components based on code(s) but within a couple of days the Check Engine light comes back on. Just dropped it back off at the dealer and now they say the catalytic converter is causing an efficiency code. Truck is a 2009 Hemi with 146,000 km (90,000 miles).

They say I need a new catalytic converter. Not cheap! Canadian emissions warranty is 8 years...or 130,000km (80,000 miles). 8 years is great if you drive 10,000 miles a year. Dealer has actually been good, and I appreciate that troubleshooting CEL (MIL) lights can be a pain in the ***...but I've never had a catalytic converter go on any vehicle I've ever owned going back over 30 years. Dealer has a call in to Chrysler Canada about goodwill warranty as I'm just over the mileage limit.

Anybody else on here had an issue with a catalytic converter? Thoughts?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you happen to have a tuner on that truck?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 PM
BullyT
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Do you happen to have a tuner on that truck?
No tuner. Everything is completely stock. Truck still looks *******ly new and service manager today commented that the truck has "obviously been looked after". Runs very well--only sign there is an issue is the Check Engine light. It's only seen mid-range gas, except when I tow my boat...I fill with premium then.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume that they already replaced the downstream O2

Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 PM
BullyT
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I assume that they already replaced the downstream O2
I'm not sure if they've replaced the downstream O2 sensor. The service manager mentioned the possibility of an issue with a new pre-cat O2 sensor and the existing downstream O2 sensor. Because I've made a number of trips to the dealer for the same problem they are working off the original work order--I don't have copies of the paperwork at this point. Common sense would dictate you'd check/replace the downstream O2 sensor before saying the catalytic convertor has failed. I don't know how specific the codes are. Appreciate your comment--it's a good point.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BullyT,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with you Ram. I spoke with you previously about a concern, and was wondering if your were servicing with the same dealer.

If your issue is still outstanding and you would like addition assistance, please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy so review with your dealer.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 PM
BullyT
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
BullyT,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with you Ram. I spoke with you previously about a concern, and was wondering if your were servicing with the same dealer.

If your issue is still outstanding and you would like addition assistance, please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy so review with your dealer.
Thank you, Katie. Yes, we did speak previously about another issue and you were very helpful in getting it resolved. I wanted to acknowledge that publicly on this forum, so people will realize that "Dodge Cares" does monitor this board and will work with Ram owners to get any concerns resolved.

I will send you a PM regarding the status of my current issue. Thank you again!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:37 AM
maka
Amateur

I believe it, my uncle has 115k miles on his 2010 and his cat is going bad, its been misfiring for 2 months and running like crap and the exhaust smells. Ive replaced plugs, coils and fuel injectors...

Old 09-28-2013, 10:55 PM
BullyT
Professional

Originally Posted by maka
I believe it, my uncle has 115k miles on his 2010 and his cat is going bad, its been misfiring for 2 months and running like crap and the exhaust smells. Ive replaced plugs, coils and fuel injectors...
The situation with my truck is quite different. The truck is running great--if it weren't for the illuminated Check Engine light you'd never know anything is wrong. Well, the MDS system also doesn't work with the CEL on but the truck actually runs a bit better without the MDS kicking on and off.

With respect to your uncle's truck, it would seem to me that the misfiring and "running like crap" could be what damaged the catalytic converter.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

May not be related but, mine came on when i first got it, and the o2 sensor codes starting popping up, truck running perfect, just the light, turned out to be the PCM in our trucks for 09 had some problems,resulting in the o2 codes, new PCM and a reflash, and it has not come back on in 4 years.....

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light...Catalytic Converter on a 2009 Hemi??