4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck stalls out ALOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:06 PM
c.brunet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalls out ALOT

So I have a 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie
Under 83,000KM
Usually have no issues until it starts getting chillier in the fall, it may stall out a couple times in fall but when it hits winter time I find I stall more when I am in 4x4 (not quite as often in 4x4 auto)

My truck can warm up for an hour and the minute I stop, or slow down to 5km or less she just dies. Then I have to restart the truck to move.
When I took it into the dodge dealer they said there were no hard codes on it. Doesn't matter what level my gas tank is at (which all of a sudden my tank says it only holds 300km on full, this isn't right either)

I am starting to get lost as to what to do, I don't want to get rid of my truck but I don't feel safe driving around with my son in the truck risking a stall and being hit

Any advice?

Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 PM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go back to the dealer, tell the service manager to go for a ride with you, show him what happens and ask him to fix it. But of course if you do that with him present, the truck probably won't stall.

I had my torque converter go bad on me and I found that when i would stop at a light it would stall on me.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:00 AM
c.brunet

That is pretty much exactly what happens. I stop and she dies or struggles. Or if I slow down at a yield or whatnot she will either struggle or just die!
Thank you...now I have something else I can have my mechanic look at!

The truck used to be a surveyor in the NWT truck...I though the one sensor was just carbon coated but we cleaned that and it still does it.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c.brunet
So I have a 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie
Under 83,000KM
Usually have no issues until it starts getting chillier in the fall, it may stall out a couple times in fall but when it hits winter time I find I stall more when I am in 4x4 (not quite as often in 4x4 auto)

My truck can warm up for an hour and the minute I stop, or slow down to 5km or less she just dies. Then I have to restart the truck to move.
When I took it into the dodge dealer they said there were no hard codes on it. Doesn't matter what level my gas tank is at (which all of a sudden my tank says it only holds 300km on full, this isn't right either)

I am starting to get lost as to what to do, I don't want to get rid of my truck but I don't feel safe driving around with my son in the truck risking a stall and being hit

Any advice?

c.brunet,

I agree with InterpunX, see if you can go for a test drive with the Service Manager or a mechanic and try to duplicate the problem for them. If you know how to reproduce the concerns it will help the dealer understand the issues and pinpoint where it is coming from.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:56 PM
NavyDoc

Good afternoon all, I am having similar issues, I have a 2009 as well. It doesn't really matter the weather for me, it just usually stalls as I am slowing down or stopping as stated above. I do have a P0304 code which is a cylinder 4 mis-fire. Could this be a cause of the truck stalling. Thank you for your help and advice.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by InterpunX
I would go back to the dealer, tell the service manager to go for a ride with you, show him what happens and ask him to fix it. But of course if you do that with him present, the truck probably won't stall.

I had my torque converter go bad on me and I found that when i would stop at a light it would stall on me.
put the truck in neutral before you stop, if the TC is the problem, this may help.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:01 AM
c.brunet
Default Fixed

Thanks for all the info
We actually had the coolant lines replaced Right after I posted this as there was a leak in the lines, after that I haven't stalled since. Apparently it's some environmental thing that the truck will do if there is an issue with the coolant lines (so I was informed)
This fixed my issue (after replacing the fuel pump and everything else we could think of)
So a hefty repair bill all in all but my truck purrs like a kitten again!

Quick Reply: Truck stalls out ALOT