4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Locks, ESP, HVAC Controls not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 AM
Disla1958
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Overtorqued , my Original TIPM was buzzing also,Mechanic at the dealership said that the new replacement started buzzing after it had been in for about an hour.They have ordered another Module and are going to try it,I am NOT very confident.Love this truck ,but I have started the process of trading though in its current state the salesman is not offering much for my ride.Keep us posted on what you find.Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Disla1958
Hey Overtorqued , my Original TIPM was buzzing also,Mechanic at the dealership said that the new replacement started buzzing after it had been in for about an hour.They have ordered another Module and are going to try it,I am NOT very confident.Love this truck ,but I have started the process of trading though in its current state the salesman is not offering much for my ride.Keep us posted on what you find.Good Luck!

Typically when you have a relay buzz, it would indicate insufficient ground or in some cases, insufficient power feed.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-18-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Disla1958

Thanks for the info TNtech, but after.10 days (during the middle of a significant winter storm) with my '09 in the shop with multiple expensive parts being installed I felt I could not trust this truck anymore so I had to trade.Bright side:I now have a beautiful dark cherry red, 5.7 ,crew cab. Point of Interest my old truck has still not been fixed .Good Luck to everyone with these problems.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 PM
overtorqued

After verifying all of the interior wiring inside and out to the tipm, the tech isolated the exact wire not providing power. There's 12 volts coming into the tipm and a couple noisy volts coming out on the problem wire. He manually fed 12 volts into the interior on this wire and started the truck. Everything worked perfectly and was repeatable. They also commented communication on the bus was clean so it sounds like they're in the right place. They're returning the first replacement tipm and trying another. This would mean my original tipm was bad and so was the first remanufactured replacement as they both behave the same way. It seems like we're getting close but we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by overtorqued; 02-20-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 PM
overtorqued

The second new (remanufactured) TIPM was installed yesterday and I picked up my truck today. So far so good. The techs told me the truck was instantly back to normal once they installed the new part. The communication bus was clean and all of the modules were functioning normally. Thanks to all for your input and the best of luck to everyone who might be dealing with the same issue.

Last edited by overtorqued; 02-21-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:19 AM
overtorqued

I wanted to update anyone who might run across this thread. It's been almost a year since I had the re-manufactured TIPM installed in my truck. Yesterday the temp dropped to around 10 degrees here in Northern Ohio and the TIPM has failed again. I went out to the truck in the middle of the day and observed exactly the same behaviors. I was able to remote start it from the office but the doors would not unlock so I had to use the key to get in. Once inside there was no heater fan, wipers, transfer case controls, airbags, the ESP/BAS light was on, the service park assist was on, etc. It was a cold ride home from work. You can turn the heat up to High and you'll get some heat passively flowing through the vents when you're at speed. It will stop you from freezing to death but only if you're moving.

The module is still under a one year warranty so it will be replaced for free but I don't really feel this is the issue. I'd pay good money for a brand new TIPM to have confidence in it again. The dealer - who has been very accommodating and professional - has no control over the quality of remanufactured electronic modules and cannot purchase a new part for the truck. It is not offered.

The dealer has been great. The re-manufactured TIPM's are not holding up. One of these days, this truck is going to strand me in foul weather without 4x4, heat and wipers and I'm going to be in trouble. RAM Tough? RAM Tough to live with. I am very disappointed in the brand.

Last edited by overtorqued; 01-06-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:20 PM
HillBillE
Professional

My turn.

Same problems, same symptoms.

Made it out to me dads in the sleet storm, looking through the bottom 6" of the windshield the last 3 miles (country road luckily)

Put it in the heated garage, and took the '09 2500 to the cabin to plow the driveway.

Came back 4 hours later, same symptoms, as well as the buzzing described by earlier posters.

I recalled scanning this thread when I first joined, and remembered reading somewhere about the TIPM connections.

I pulled the TIPM, and pulled all the connectors. None looked wet, so I hit them with a light spray of WD-40 and reinstalled.

Problem solved.

Until I got back to town. Shut the truck off at the store, and when I started it back up, same problems.

I haven't done the big connection in front of the TIPM yet, going to try that next.

I was out playing on the lake yesterday, where we have our Jeep Club Ice Races every year, and snow was flying.

So it is very possible that moisture got into some connections.

I hate electrical gremlins

Old 02-09-2015, 09:51 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Well, time to bring it in Today I pulled the TIPM again, and used a hair dryer to remove any moisture from the connectors.

Also did the same to the large connector behind the headlight.

Same thing, worked until I shut the truck off, then right back to the same.

ESP light
Airbag Light
No wipers, no heater fan, no rear window power, no slider window power, no squirters.

I'm not used to bringing vehicles to the dealer, always have done my own wrenching.

But this new electronic stuff.....

Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM
overtorqued

If it's the same issue I experienced (and it does sound like the same problem) they should be looking at the power bus to the interior on the C connector of the TIPM. Mine was putting out a noisy low voltage instead of a clean 12 volts. It seems you can unplug the TIPM's and just by handling them affect their performance, albeit momentarily, but after shutting down and starting back up they're junk again.

At the risk of repeating myself - the short version of my story went something like this;

I replaced the TIPM with a new factory re-manufactured one from a dealer (which was also bad but I didn't know that). After the dealer programmed it, I drove it home and parked it. Later I started it up and it behaved the same way so it really threw me and everyone else off. I took it back to my dealer for diagnostics. The mechanic who worked on my truck was forced to go over everything in the interior including the wiring because they opened a case with Chrysler support. Apparently there are rules about this.

Eventually the issue escalated to the point where a really good tech at Chrysler had him inject 12 volts on the interior power bus and the truck returned to normal. They replaced the TIPM for a second time and things were good for 11 months. I just had it replaced again at the dealer for the third time about a month ago. The truck was in the same failed condition as it was before and behaved exactly as you're describing it.

My advice is to pay careful attention to what they're telling you. There may be other things that can cause these issues but after going through 3 factory re-manufactured TIPM's I'm pretty convinced they're suffering from either a design issue or whomever is re-building them is doing a poor job of it. My go around with this issue took about 5 weeks. 2 of those were spent in my own garage trying to figure things out for myself.

Good luck. Let everyone know how you make out.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HillBillE
Well, time to bring it in Today I pulled the TIPM again, and used a hair dryer to remove any moisture from the connectors.

Also did the same to the large connector behind the headlight.

Same thing, worked until I shut the truck off, then right back to the same.

ESP light
Airbag Light
No wipers, no heater fan, no rear window power, no slider window power, no squirters.

I'm not used to bringing vehicles to the dealer, always have done my own wrenching.

But this new electronic stuff.....
Best of luck at the dealer, HillBillE. Keep us posted on what happens!

Quick Reply: Power Locks, ESP, HVAC Controls not working