4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Locks, ESP, HVAC Controls not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM
dfranck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Locks, ESP, HVAC Controls not working

So, this morning I went to my truck to drive to work, the key fob didn't unlock my doors, as it happens quite often...normally pressing the unlock on the fob about 25 times will get the doors to unlock eventually. Regardless, I took the key out and unlocked the door like I did when I was younger. Once the truck was up and running, I noticed the airbag light stayed on as well as the ESP traction control light. I went to the dash to hit the button to turn on the ESP but nothing happened. It was colder this morning and I was only wearing a t-shirt so I went to turn the heater on, and nothing. The light for recirc was working as well as the A/C light, but the A/C or heater never kicked on regardless of fan speed position.

Things I have tried:

I went through most of the fuses to see if there were any blown fuses, all were good that I removed.

Removed the IOD fuse and replaced it hoping that would help based on a different post I read.

I pulled the positive and negative leads off the battery to see if that would help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Rickram
Rookie

Check the wiring harness on drivers side under the hood. It's toward the bottom front and you will see where 2 bunches of wires connect to each other. You most likely have a bad connection there. Unplug and plug back in and might not be a bad idea to secure with electrical tape. I bet this fixes your problem. Let me know when it does.

Last edited by Rickram; 01-05-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM
dfranck

Rickman, thank you for the advice. I'm currently on the road for work, so I will have to look into the connection when I get home. The next morning when I went out to my truck all the issues were gone..I can't explain it, they just were...after pulling all the fuses and the battery the day before the issues remained, the next morning they were all gone. The only difference was the temperature. But we are only talking a difference of 15 degrees, and it wasn't even cold. I live in Florida...

I'm still going to take a look at the wiring harness when I get home to make sure there is a good connection. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Rickram
Rookie

It will come back. Trust me. I had the exact same issue on my 2009. It would come and go.I reconnected the harness and it never came back.When you look it will be connected. I think moisture gets in there just enough to make this happen.

Last edited by Rickram; 01-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 AM
overtorqued

I'm having the same issue with my 2009 Laramie plus some ABS codes. My battery went down - not completely dead but needed replaced after the “Polar Vortex” went through last week. Thankfully it had the good grace to make it home and into the garage after work. I installed a new OEM battery after the truck sat for the weekend without being connected to a battery. For a brief time the door locks started working and the hvac blower was running so I thought I was good to go. I shut off the key and went in the house. When I came back in 15 minutes and started the truck I had the same issues again.

Presently, there are no door locks, hvac blower (temp setting is visible) or wipers. The compass needs calibrated and the air temp reads 93 degrees constantly. The HVAC keeps trying to turn on the A/C as indicated by the appearance of the snow flake icon in the display. Nothing happens other than the icon appearing. The warning lights for ABS, BRAKES, Airbag, ESP BAS, Engine and Traction Control are on. I can drive it and it will shift normally. I can hear relays quietly triggering when I hit buttons on my remote but nothing happens other than the exterior lights flashing as they normally would. Door lock buttons on the door do not work. Remote start does not work and the lights only flash once when attempting to do so.

The ABS codes as I read them with a U-Scan are;

C2206 Vehicle Configuration Mismatch
U0141 Lost Communication with FCM
U0102 No DTC definition found. See service manual
U0126 Lost Communication with steering angle sensor

I can clear all but the U0102 and U0126. This turns off the ABS and BRAKE warning light. I'm not sure if this is a separate or related issue. I’ve been told the U0102 is the one causing the issue and is related to the module not powering up. The 2 codes I can clear re-appear every time the battery is dis-connected and re-connected.

Rickram, I’m curious what bundle of wires you're talking about? Last night I went through and re-seated all the connectors on the bottom of the TIPM and the larger connector pinned to the outside front of the TIPM box. I also cleaned up and tightened all of the ground and power connections. Nothing changed as a result. I think you’re talking about something different so if you could elaborate it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by overtorqued; 01-15-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Rickram
Rookie

Sorry for the late reply. I believe the wire looms come from the ECU over to the fuse box under the hood on drivers side.It's a major wire connection. You will see where the 2 looms connect to each other. After I disconnected them and made sure they were clean and dry I reconnected and then took some black electric tape and wrapped the connection. Never had another problem. The factory should have added some wrap to begin with IMO.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 AM
overtorqued

Originally Posted by Rickram
Sorry for the late reply. I believe the wire looms come from the ECU over to the fuse box under the hood on drivers side.It's a major wire connection. You will see where the 2 looms connect to each other. After I disconnected them and made sure they were clean and dry I reconnected and then took some black electric tape and wrapped the connection. Never had another problem. The factory should have added some wrap to begin with IMO.
I did check these and they looked ok. Opened and closed them a few times to be sure. It's looking more like the TIPM went out. I reset it a number of times and installed a new OEM battery but still no change. I had one moment after I installed the new battery where everything came back to life but then it was back to all the warning lights. I have a new TIPM on order and I'm hoping it will sort things out. I have had issues in the past where my door lock buttons would not lock the doors on the first press but otherwise the truck was running perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by overtorqued; 01-24-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:10 PM
tmazac_07

Just wanted to add to this thread that my '09 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 Liter did the same thing last week. ESP/BAS light and traction control light came on, door locks, windows, wipers and horn all failed. I disconnected the negative cable on the battery for 30 minutes. Then removed the TIPM completely and made sure all connections were clean. TIPM is easily removed by using a flat head screw driver and prying open the 4 or 5 plastic clamps holding it in place. I checked the other two connections outside of the TIPM housing and cleaned them both. I then put everything back together, charged the battery and stated the truck. All the issues seem to be resolved. I believe this issue is best resolved if caught early on before the TIPM has a chance to short out and go bad all together.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Disla1958

Hey,I'm having identical problems with my '09 quad cab, the dealer replaced the TIPM and the problems went away but came back before I even picked my truck up.My thermometer is also reading 74 degrees(it's really 20).The connections have been checked .Any Ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by Disla1958; 02-16-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 AM
overtorqued

My truck is at my local selling dealer. I tried replacing the TIPM on my own with a new (re-manufactured) Mopar part but still needed the dealer to re-program everything. After they programmed it I drove it home and parked it. About 15 minutes later I started it and it returned to the same state.

The tech told me he had issues programming the TIPM. When checking things out he commented about noise on the communication bus. There's a buzzing comming from the TIPM area - which I heard in my garage. He has isolated the wiring loom where there's either a faulty component connected or a problem with the loom i.e. wire(s) and/or connector(s) and is eliminating these one at a time. I appreciate this approach as I don't want to deal with this again.

Initially, it appeared movement of the truck, cold temps - or both had an effect on it but it's been in a warm dealer garage for over a week and is still in this failed state. My truck is bone stock, stored in a heated and humidity controlled garage year round and I never take it off roading. I do use it on a daily basis.

Quick Reply: Power Locks, ESP, HVAC Controls not working