4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New 2014 owner couple of tech ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 AM
DonniePalmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2014 owner couple of tech ?s

Hey all...just purchased a new 2014 and had a few questions. First it's got only 70 miles on it and today we had it in the shop with the battery disconnected all day waiting for remote start instal. After sitting all day in warm garage when we started it it sounded like a fairly loud lifter tick for 5 seconds. I know hemi motors can develop a tick over time but it alarmed me that my brand new truck did this. I am wondering if since it only has happened that one time if it had something to do with battery being unhooked and mds or something? Or potentially it's just because it's not broken in yet? Every other start cold or warm of the last 20 or so warm and cold it didn't do it so should I be fearful already a problem is developing or it was isolated?

Lastly, I noticed when I drive this one compared to my 04 it seems like when coasting the torque converter is staying locked so it doesn't coast as well. Is this normal or will it get better after break in? I know transmissions like motors break in mad these transmissions have a learning time frame. It's the 6spd auto.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:42 AM
PostalTwo
Professional

my guess is that when u started ur truck and noticed the tick u were in the shop? prob sound bouncing indoors it tends to magnify things. if u listen close u prob hear the injectors fireing if it was inside u likely hear it more. aside from that many of todays engine are very clattery with short skirt piston designs. unless its real loud i wouldnt worry about it if somethin is about to let go u will know it lol.

As far as the transmissionn goes when u had the batt disconnected u may have reset ur shift adaptives. the new transmission is very complex and learns as u drive and will change shift points and lock up pressures to atttain whats known as "convergece" which simply put is a perfect shift. i noticed the drag as well when i first got my truck i really didn"t coast well and the shifts were kinda hard now 500km later(300 miles) its real nice and coast' good as well.GL

Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 AM
DonniePalmer

Well I woke up today and started it in my driveway. Same thing. Tap tap tap for about 5 seconds then it goes away. Anyone else have this happen with this low of miles? I will admit that it was -2 when I started the truck. Is this normal. My main thought is that the truck isn't broken in yet.....

Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM
WESIDE
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2 cents. Oil is pretty thick at -2 degrees. It may take those 5 seconds or so for the oil to pump up to the top of the motor and start lubricating. Maybe do an oil change. Get rid of the factory stuff and put in some good conventional oil.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You can try and change your oil filter. It may have a leaky drain back valve on it.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
deeko2007
Professional

hemi tick!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 PM
DonniePalmer

Well aware of hemi tick. Owned an 04. This is a general valve train clatter

Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 PM
PostalTwo
Professional

take her in to the dealer mine is mostly quiet except when its real cold like -25 c

Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just chill for a while, no pun intended. You have a warranty on it so just drive it and learn about it. No need to rush to the dealer and waste your time with the service guys that will most likely blow you off. Do you really want to take it to the dealer and not be able to duplicate it? You'll have to leave it there overnight and then they will tell you that it's normal and to just drive it and see what happens. After the weather warms and your first oil change, maybe you will be able to characterize what's going on. 70 miles is not enough to get worked up about it.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:01 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

My '13 would randomly tick (as you described) initially during startup (warm or cold startup) within the first 100 miles after purchasing new. Didn't matter what the exterior temperature was, ranging from 100+ to -35. I decided to change the filter out with 2,200 miles clocked, and since then, no ticking at startup. I chalked it up as a "possible" defective bypass valve. 1,200 miles later, still no issues.

Quick Reply: New 2014 owner couple of tech ?s