4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axles engaged in 2wd?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
kaw550
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axles engaged in 2wd?

Trying to track down a noise from the front end.

I jacked up the front and spun each wheel. I noticed that the fron axles spun on each side. Is that right?

I think I have a wheel bearing issue but it sounds like it is partially stuck in 4wd.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

Well the left front wheel will turn the drive shaft even in two wheel drive. It is just not engaged to drive it. The right front wheel should be disconnected in two wheel drive by the shift collar attached to the back of the axle housing just to the right side of the differential housing facing forward. If it turns with the right side not engaged then it is probably partially engaged and that is where the noise is coming from. Check the vacumm lines to see if there are any breaks in the line.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 AM
kaw550
Rookie

Really? I never would have expected that. I will climb under and take a look. It did sound like the noise was coming from the wheel.

Would the axle turning cause the wheel bearing to wear?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM
corndogg
Amateur

Originally Posted by kaw550
Would the axle turning cause the wheel bearing to wear?
Unless you are or I are thinking of something different the wheel bearings will be "turning" as long as the hub is spinning.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You may what to have the Transfer case control module checked for any codes first. Then go from there. It may also be called a Drive train control module. Also if you jack the wheels too high, you will get a clunking sound from the differential bearings or axle shafts. This is normal condition.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 PM
iskybantilus
Professional

i have a similar noise coming frmo the front end after the last couple weeks of much more 4wd use then normal. i am wondering if we have the same problem?

i can hear what i believe is the transfer case coming in and out when i shift into and out of 4wd, i know its in 4wd when i engage it, and when i disengage it it turns fine so i know its at least partially disengaged.

my question is, if its the shift collar being stuck, is there an easy way to see that visually? i never paid much attention to how dodge 4wd works.

if not i guess jack it up and spin the tires and see what moves. if i spin right front tire and either the left front tire or the front driveshaft spins, then i am guessing that i know the collar is staying engaged?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front axles engaged in 2wd?