4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Diagnostic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:06 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Diagnostic?

Can some of you tell me your version what customer care means by a diagnostic to see what's wrong with my transmission? Is it doing it by computer of by tearing it down? I had it checked at two places and two codes P0734 and P0735 are showing and it's now in limp mode sitting at the dealer, thanks.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you asking about the Warranty requirements version of it?

If so, yes both. Especially the tear down, pictures, 70% assessment....a total pain in the ***!

Old 08-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PO734 is the same as PO735 except the condition exists for 4th gear

P0735 DODGE - Gear Ratio Error In Fifth Gear

Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuits
Tech notes
Start by inspecting the transmission fluid level and condition, and change fluid if necessary.
When is the code detected?
The ECM has detected that the transmission input RPM does not match the transmission output RPM under known conditions
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Incorrect transmission shifting
P0735 DODGE Description
This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:
Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B
A: Output shaft revolution signal from revolution sensor
B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM)
C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which TCM supposes
If the actual gear position is higher than the position (5th) supposed by TCM, the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, TCM judges this diagnosis malfunction.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 08-15-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:31 PM
1954Radio
Captain

I was under then impression that to diagnose the transmission was to simply hook up the computer to check it. I didn't know they have to tear it down and inspect it as well. My problem with that is my dealership can't get to it until the 25th. Otherwise they told me they would put me in a rental once it's found to be defective. As of now I'm paying for a rental all the way up to the 25th and then some. I had a dealership diagnose the problem and found those two codes. But customer care says that is not a complete diagnostic. To me, it at least shows that it is defective. Anyway, guess we'll have to wait a couple of weeks. Thanks for the feed back guys.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

seems very unreasonable for the dealer to say that they can't touch it for another 10 days plus all of the days prior. Is that the only dealership near you? Tear down is only half a day to open it up from the bottom, I don't think they need to remove it to inspect the innards. Did you look at the fluid? It's probably burnt. The codes indicate slippage of the clutches.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 AM
1954Radio
Captain

I didn't look at the fluid but I guess I should have. It wouldn't make any difference though. They(my dealer) have 16 transmissions in front of mine and a total of 25 vehicles so according to them I am number 26. For this reason my appointment is the 25th of Aug. Customer care told me I could go to another dealer to get it checked out. Long story short, after the second dealer in Jennings, La did the diaognostic with they told me the same thing a private shop did which were the two codes. Customer care knew I had it checked but told me it wasn't any good and had to go to a certified Chrysler shop. After all this they told me the dealer also has to tear it down to look inside before coming to the conclusion if it would be covered under warranty and being eligible for a rental. To top it off, customer care talked to the second dealer on the phone who then decided not to do my truck like he originally said he would. So I drove all the extra way in limp mode for nothing. He told me he would rather not get in between me and customer care. I said what do you mean by that, what did she tell you? Seems to me customer care is doing their best to delay getting my truck inspected and checked out. Today I will be searching for a second truck as a beater in case this happens again. I'm in a rental for a third day at 50 dollars a day until the 25th. So I may as well guy buy another truck for the time being. EDIT: bty, my dealer is swamped with repairs. Other then being too busy to take it in early they have been nothing but five star treatment and service

Last edited by 1954Radio; 08-16-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:04 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

16 vehicles with transmission problems and yours is 17 , what's going on with this dealer in Louisiana ,seems rather excessive to me.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:02 AM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by NoMoreGMsForMe
16 vehicles with transmission problems and yours is 17 , what's going on with this dealer in Louisiana ,seems rather excessive to me.
It's not my dealer, it's Chrysler Customer Care............P.M. sent, thank you.

Last edited by 1954Radio; 08-16-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 AM
Owensue
Veteran

I thought 09's had lifetime warranty? There should be no questions asked warranty in that case.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:55 AM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by Owensue
I thought 09's had lifetime warranty? There should be no questions asked warranty in that case.
I do have the life time warranty. But my dealer can't even look at my truck until Aug 25th because they have so many vehicles in front of me to work on. And until it is diagnosed they will not put me in a rental which of course they say they don't have to but will out of courtesy. So as of now I am paying for the rental. I don't mind paying for one but not for three weeks.

Quick Reply: Transmission Diagnostic?