4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

First reaction...WHOOOAAAAA. Someone needs to get slapped for not taking care of their vehicle!
Clearly abuse.
Sludge = lack of maintenance. Period. Doesnt matter that you have a failing component, oil doesn't get like that with a single oil change!

Chrysler products notorious for Sludge due to design flaws:
1998-2002 Chrysler
1998-2002 Dodge Dakota
1998-2002 Dodge Stratus
1998-2002 Plymouth Breeze
1998-2002 Chrysler Cirrus
1998-2002 Dodge Intrepid

Failed PCV is most typical culprit. Headgaskets can cause Sludge, short trips as well.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steak59
Well, I work at the dealer. Normally Chrysler don't even ask for oil change receipt if there are no obvious signs of lack of maintenance when we open up the engine when there is an engine failure. They just want a few pictures of failure cause.

If you don't change your oil, Sludge build up will show. If we open the valve cover, and everything looks fairly clean, we'll just fix the car with no questions ask.

If your engine look like this, then I don't care how many receipt you have, your warranty is void. YES, I see this once or twice a year.
Hmm, 80W?

Old 03-06-2014, 10:59 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn.d.smith
Hey just wondering how many out there do their own oil changes and if you have ever experienced issues with warranty due to lack of dealer oil changes?

I'm not experiencing any issues but I am curious since I have been doing my own oil changes since I have owned the truck (2012) and when I tell others they say I will void my warranty I have been doing my own oil changes on all of the vehicles I have owned and I find it more convenient than taking an hour off work to drop off my truck at a dealer.

I'd especially be interested in hearing what DodgeCares has to say about this.

btw I live in Canada if that makes any difference.

Thanks
glenn.d.smith,

As the manufacturer, it is strongly recommended that you visit a certified Chrysler dealership to service your vehicle. This information and further details can be found in your Warranty Information and Maintenance Schedule booklet.

It is important to keep all records of your maintenance and ensure your are following the recommended intervals. Following these guidelines is the best way to ensure trouble-free operation. Be sure to use the correct engine oils and recommended fluids as well. In the event an issue occurs, these documents may be requested by your dealer during the diagnosis process.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:49 PM
NV290
All Star

But to clarify to the thread starter, you will NOT void your warranty by doing your own oil changes. Just save your oil and oil filter receipts and keep track of the mileage. This way you have proof the right parts were used in the right time frame.

Some dealers like to scare people into thinking that they have to have basic maintenance items performed by a dealer but this is simply not true. I for one have had more damage done to my past truck by having them perform the service then by doing it myself. Spilled oil onto the valve covers, grease on the steering wheel, dirty mats. They even misrouted the washer pump wiring when they replaced it under warranty and ended up causing more damage. Just because a shop specializes in the brand of vehicle you own does not magically mean they have the skills to do work on that vehicle better then anybody else. In fact my local mechanic i use worked at the Dodge dealer i bought my Ram from for 8 years as a mechanic before he came to the shop i use now.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Ram Tuff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the hemi got her first oil change. I put Moble 1 synthetic in it and changed it myself (I'm a licensed mechanic) with dodge filter, I've done the same with my 2012 journey r/t since new. I keep record of all oil changes.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who have posted. Whoever took the photo of the sludged up valvetrain...wow! I'm much too **** to let something like that happen. I change the oil when it is needed and use what's recommended. I too have been burned by dealerships and garages in the past and that's why I have been doing my own oil changes for the last 20 years. That being said, I'm 40 now and maybe its time to stop crawling around under my vehicles and have someone else get dirty. Problem is you have kids doing this sort of stuff at the dealerships and ignorant mechanics who think they know everything. For example I once had a mechanic tell me that my 2003 Ram had 2 catalytic converters and 4 O2 sensors...wrong. Now I would think that a Chrysler mechanic would know that this particular year did not have that configuration. Also, the salesman who sold me my 2012 didn't know that the hemis are recommended to take 89 octane fuel!!! He said they put regular fuel in all of their vehicles If I'm paying someone $120 bucks an hour to work on my truck, they had better know more than me.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn.d.smith
I once had a mechanic tell me that my 2003 Ram had 2 catalytic converters and 4 O2 sensors...wrong. Now I would think that a Chrysler mechanic would know that this particular year did not have that configuration.
Not saying yours did, but some of them did. Certain emission set-ups had 2 cats and and an upstream/downstream O2 sensor for each.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by Duso02
Not saying yours did, but some of them did. Certain emission set-ups had 2 cats and and an upstream/downstream O2 sensor for each.
My 06' Hemi absolutely had 2 cats and 4 O2 sensors. I should know, i changed all 4 O2 sensors twice. Not sure for 03'.

Speaking of Catalytic converters, imagine having to invest in one of these:

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...Converter-Lock

Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap, those things are crazy. Not much of the cat theft around here to worry about this stuff.......yet

Old 03-16-2014, 10:07 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by Duso02
Holy crap, those things are crazy. Not much of the cat theft around here to worry about this stuff.......yet
I had not even heard of it till recently. But i have never heard of anybody i know ever having it happen. When you read the comments under those locks, some people commented that it happened to them multiple times!