4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Oil Changes

Hey just wondering how many out there do their own oil changes and if you have ever experienced issues with warranty due to lack of dealer oil changes?

I'm not experiencing any issues but I am curious since I have been doing my own oil changes since I have owned the truck (2012) and when I tell others they say I will void my warranty I have been doing my own oil changes on all of the vehicles I have owned and I find it more convenient than taking an hour off work to drop off my truck at a dealer.

I'd especially be interested in hearing what DodgeCares has to say about this.

btw I live in Canada if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
hattitude
Professional

You will not void your warranty by doing your own oil changes....

That said, you will have to prove that you changed the oil per vehicle requirements (mileage and/or time), should you have an oil related engine failure.....

There are those who think it's best to have service done at a dealer, to maintain a paper trail. Good for them, I've neither the money nor the patience to have a dealer do something I can do better myself.

Some self-service people just keep receipts, with the mileage and date of the oil change. I actually use a FileMaker Pro database for each of my motor vehicles where I keep track of all maintenance and service.

Last edited by hattitude; 03-03-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:09 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep records. I use the fastlane oil change at my dealer for convenience sake, not to maintain the warranty 30 minutes and $30 is as cheap and fast as I could do it in the driveway.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

Dallas dodge offers a 4 oil changes for 65.00

Old 03-03-2014, 06:43 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by capsfloyd
Dallas dodge offers a 4 oil changes for 65.00
That is really cheap, I think 4 for $100 is the best I ever got at my dealer.

$65 for someone to put in 28 quarts of oil and 4 filters is a steal.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do my own changes

Mobil1 at Walmart is $25 for 5 quarts, I buy 3 jugs
OEM filter at walmart is $8

Total for 2 changes is $90, a lot cheaper for dino oil

My dealer is 25 miles away and they are very slow. So I save about 3 gallons of gas and 3 hours of my life. Takes me about 20 minutes to change it.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Chrysler has sent me out some service coupons several times this winter that have great oil change deals. I typically do all my own maintenance, but with a busy schedule and the really cold weather we've had in MN this winter I decided to buy a 4-pack of changes and take the risk that their quick-change folks wouldn't wreck anything. Got the 4 changes (valid over 2 years) for $64.99, which is not a half-bad price for 4 changes with 7 qts of semi-synth oil. I use Mobil1 when I do my own, which I can get for about $20/5qt at Wal-Mart, plus a $9 quality filter. Even if I have these semi-synth changes done at 4000 miles instead of my typical 7500 with Mobil1 I'm still saving money letting them do it.

In answer to the OP, as long as you keep records of your own maintenance there really can't be many problems related to it. Besides, it would have to be an oil-related failure for it to even come up as a problem. And when was the last time you heard of someone having a lubrication-related engine failure on a vehicle less then 5 years old unless it involved accidentally draining the oil?

Rob

Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I too buy the 5qt jugs from Wally World for $24-29 depending on their sales. I've NEVER seen them as cheap as $20, so BigBlue, your getting a smokin deal.

As for oil filters. My 1st choice is PureOne, second is Bosch for price reasons only as Purolator and Bosch are of the same. These both use Synthetic media. My 3rd choice is Mopar filter since they are made by Champion Labs and Wix. Napa is a step below the Mopar btw...Both of these are paper media. They still have good filtration.

I dont think I should have any problems as far as oil changes go for any warranty repairs..lol I have 15.6kmi on my truck and have changed my oil 5x's and due for the 6th... @ 1kmi for initial break in, 2.5kmi, 5kmi, 7.5kmi, and 12kmi. I'm due for another. Why so soon? Because I go by the looks of my oil and not so much by mileage. My oil is looking dirty, so it's cycling dirt around the engine. Plus, I tow with my truck, so the engine has worked hard on this oil.

FYI. Oil may last 7500+miles, but oil filters are not meant to go that long. If you speak to any oil company rep, they recommend changing the filter at the halfway point and not past the 5kmi mark.
I change my wife's Subaru at 5kmi and I use Mobil 1 for it along with a PureOne filter. She drives mostly highway.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I find Mobil1 at Wal-Mart here in MN for $18.88 or low 20's from time to time. Couple times a year maybe.

Rob

Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I work at the dealer. Normally Chrysler don't even ask for oil change receipt if there are no obvious signs of lack of maintenance when we open up the engine when there is an engine failure. They just want a few pictures of failure cause.

If you don't change your oil, Sludge build up will show. If we open the valve cover, and everything looks fairly clean, we'll just fix the car with no questions ask.

If your engine look like this, then I don't care how many receipt you have, your warranty is void. YES, I see this once or twice a year.

Last edited by steak59; 03-05-2014 at 12:37 PM.