4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise Control Shutoff Feature?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control Shutoff Feature?

I have a 13 RAM Sport 1500. Once I have cruise set, if I hit the accelerate button on the cruise control twice or more quickly, it shuts the cruise control off. (Not coast, OFF.) This is quite irritating if you just want to bump up a couple MPH to adjust your position on the freeway. (I believe it does it intermittently with only one press, but I couldn't get it to do that for the dealership.)
The service guy says Chrysler told him this is normal. If you hit the button repeatedly with just a little pause between presses, it will just keep accelerating, but if you hit it too quickly it will turn cruise off.
(You can hit decelerate/set as fast as you want. No problems.)
Has anyone else encountered this "Feature"?
Anyone have an idea of a safety consideration where this would make some sense?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
ramvtx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine just started doing it right after a PCM upgrade. I took it back and asked them to fix it and they gave me the same story. "safety feature". I guess its in case you fall asleep and your forehead hits the "+" button.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM
plumcrazy73
Captain

well my 13 does not do that, and tell them you want to see something in black and white saying that is a built in safety feature, bet they can't produce it

Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Owensue
Veteran

I have tried this on my 2011 ram (has the stick) and my 2012 caravan, neither disabled cruise.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur

So I called 1-800-Chrysler today and spoke to someone about this. (The Stealership wouldn't provide squat.) The person I spoke to said it's a safety feature so that people hitting a button panicking wouldn't speed up their vehicle. (It's cruise control. If you need to slow down quickly hit the brakes.....) So yes if I bump the accelerate button quickly, even once, it will turn off cruise every time. Great. I don't have that low of a gear in my soul anywhere. Now every time I use cruise I have to think:
...Wait...don't...do...anything...press...it...for ...a...half...second...let...go...wait...more...O. ...K....you...can...do...it...again...

Lord this is irritating, I had no idea the target consumer for a Ram Sport with a 395 horsepower, an 8 speed, and limited slip 3.55 gears was someone aspiring to be able to think as quickly as Forrest Gump.
I love 99.5% of this truck. This useless "feature" sucks massively.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 AM
ramvtx

I'm trying to re-train myself to press and hold the button to accelerate rather than hitting it multiple times. Still pain in the a$$, it was nice to just hit it 4-5 times and be done with it while it accelerated. I guess the dumb masses can't handle that.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

The dumbing down of the world to pacify lawyers and insurance companies continues...

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Shutoff Feature?