4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serious Safty hazard, possible recall?

Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kody202
Every time the truck shuts off the oil pressure light comes on, steering locks and brakes also become very stiff to the point of uselessness. Seems to happen more often while slowing down but its happened at all different times. I've actually had to pull into a snowbank because it was that or hit another vehicle. Radio stays on along with all the lights and everything, the same as if I just turned the key on without turning the engine over but with the oil pressure light. So far the dealership has tried changing my oil along with a few lines, changed my front transmission pump. They installed a copilot to record the processes and the issue came up 3 times will driving with the copilot and they spent a day analyzing the data with dodge Canada techs and decided it was the torque converter. Took the truck back "fixed" as I was told and the issue happened 2 days after. Today is the 5th time I've brought it in to the dealership and have been in 5 separate rental cars. I'm so frustrated with this its unreal. Everything is still under warranty but I mean there has to be a point that enough is enough. Maybe they will wait until I get into an accident because my truck shuts down at an intersection.

From what I am reading it seems they think the torque converter is locking up and stalling it? Is that right? We have had a few I remember that did this and they ended up doing a valve body if I remember correctly. You'll have to forgive me, I'm not a transmission guy (on purpose lol)

Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Kody202
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
From what I am reading it seems they think the torque converter is locking up and stalling it? Is that right? We have had a few I remember that did this and they ended up doing a valve body if I remember correctly. You'll have to forgive me, I'm not a transmission guy (on purpose lol)
Honestly not sure what they're thinking, now they have to run the co pilot again and wait for the problem to show up so they can re analyse. Its getting ridiculous, this is going on the 5th week of them screwing with it to fix it

Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Sucks your having this issue. I dont know why they would change the oil? Maybe because you said the oil light came on...?
This is a common problem when an IAC valve or the TPS sensor begins failing. In the Ram's 5.7L situation, it's all integrated in the T/B. I would have them diagnose the T/B and verify it's in perfect working order.
Also, you do know power steering used to be an option right? Definately stiffer, but if your moving it's not all that bad. side-by-side it's night and day and reaction time is slower, but if your not slamming on your brakes to come to a stop or tailgating you should be fine.
Now, braking is a different story, you cannot keep pumping. You have to hold the pedal steady. Each pump you do causes the brakes to get stiffer and harder to operate. You always can resort to your Emergency brake. After all, that's why they named it E-Brake!.lol
Have them check the T/B

Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Kody202
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Sucks your having this issue. I dont know why they would change the oil? Maybe because you said the oil light came on...?
This is a common problem when an IAC valve or the TPS sensor begins failing. In the Ram's 5.7L situation, it's all integrated in the T/B. I would have them diagnose the T/B and verify it's in perfect working order.
Also, you do know power steering used to be an option right? Definately stiffer, but if your moving it's not all that bad. side-by-side it's night and day and reaction time is slower, but if your not slamming on your brakes to come to a stop or tailgating you should be fine.
Now, braking is a different story, you cannot keep pumping. You have to hold the pedal steady. Each pump you do causes the brakes to get stiffer and harder to operate. You always can resort to your Emergency brake. After all, that's why they named it E-Brake!.lol
Have them check the T/B

Throttle body was checked and cleaned twice, got the truck back on friday and had the problem again yesterday only this time now its accompanied by a check engine light. Tomorrow when I bring it in will be the 6th time in a month. I'm so done with this its not even funny. Maybe next time will be a ford?? LOL

Old 04-12-2014, 07:57 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact transport Canada, open a file with Chrysler Canada, and contact CANVAP. Canadian motor vehicle arbitration program...you can get a buy back. ..or my park your truck across the street from your dodge dealer and put lemons in the grill ....qustion...is this on the push button start?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serious Safty hazard, possible recall?