4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serious Safty hazard, possible recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Kody202
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Safty hazard, possible recall?

I have a 2010 TRX 4 I bought 2 years ago with 30,000km, I never had an issues until a month and a half ago. The truck has started to shut off randomly while I'm driving. Its been in the dealership for repairs 4 times already and still hasn't been fixed. Its very dangerous because the steering locks and the brakes become too stiff to use effectively. And Dodge just seems to think they can continue to try and repair it and give me a rental over and over again. If this issue happens at an intersection or something like that I'm going to get killed or kill someone. I'm sure there is a limit as to how long they can continue this and Im just looking for any options or help. I've already contacted Dodge Canada and they had their techs working on the issue twice already so I have no idea what to do

Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

You should report this to the NHTSA and get it recorded. It will not become a recall unless a growing number of complaints of recorded accidents involving injury or death occur. I have not heard of this happening before with the RAM. Could be bad ground or ECM.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:18 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This issues is what GM is in hot water over right now. A vehicle that just shuts down for no reason is a major safety hazard. Please keep us posted on how this plays out.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Describe the problem exactly and try to list what they have done.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Kody202
Amateur

Every time the truck shuts off the oil pressure light comes on, steering locks and brakes also become very stiff to the point of uselessness. Seems to happen more often while slowing down but its happened at all different times. I've actually had to pull into a snowbank because it was that or hit another vehicle. Radio stays on along with all the lights and everything, the same as if I just turned the key on without turning the engine over but with the oil pressure light. So far the dealership has tried changing my oil along with a few lines, changed my front transmission pump. They installed a copilot to record the processes and the issue came up 3 times will driving with the copilot and they spent a day analyzing the data with dodge Canada techs and decided it was the torque converter. Took the truck back "fixed" as I was told and the issue happened 2 days after. Today is the 5th time I've brought it in to the dealership and have been in 5 separate rental cars. I'm so frustrated with this its unreal. Everything is still under warranty but I mean there has to be a point that enough is enough. Maybe they will wait until I get into an accident because my truck shuts down at an intersection.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 PM
LVRR
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have a couple of pumps on the brake with the residual vacuum so if it happens don't take your foot off the brake and pump it. You still have steering, it doesn't lock up, just stiffer to turn and shouldn't be all that difficult at a decent speed 'til you get to a lower speed. Almost like cars from the older era with no power steering or power brakes.

After saying that. Have they checked the fuel evaporation system? Clogged or crimped line can cause stalling. An unproperly filled transmission can cause it too, but having replaced the TC I wouldn't think so. Check the fuel tank and fuel filters for garbage in the gas clogging up the filters, you may have got some bad gas along the way somewhere.

GM's problem is that the ignition shuts off with wait on the key, if your truck just stalls the key would still be on and all safety features would still be active, so not in the same boat.

Last edited by LVRR; 03-31-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 PM
Kody202
Amateur

I realize its not a complete loss of steering but when it randomly happens out of nowhere on already ice filled and crappy winter roads its almost just as well if it was completely locked. I'm really going to hope that the 4 times I brought it to the dealership the techs there thought of those things hahaha but you never know. Seriously losing faith in their competence right about when I dropped it off for the 5th time.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Kody202
Amateur

Bump.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:47 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

Question...would it restart right away? I had a caravan that use to shut off when slowing for intersections. The problem was the EGR valve. I drove the van for 6 months with a plug in the vacuum line until I decided to change it. Never did it stall while the line was plugged and after I put aq new one in, the problem never returned. Now two things...it was a 1999 Caravan and two do these vehicles still have an EGR valve? I do not know the answer to that.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Kody202
Amateur

Originally Posted by rbrumm
Question...would it restart right away? I had a caravan that use to shut off when slowing for intersections. The problem was the EGR valve. I drove the van for 6 months with a plug in the vacuum line until I decided to change it. Never did it stall while the line was plugged and after I put aq new one in, the problem never returned. Now two things...it was a 1999 Caravan and two do these vehicles still have an EGR valve? I do not know the answer to that.
Not 100% but Im pretty sure it does. I would imagine its pretty much the same as your 2011 outdoorsman, same vehicle essentially.

Quick Reply: Serious Safty hazard, possible recall?