4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low washer fluid EVIC indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:08 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low washer fluid EVIC indicator

Oddly enough i had this same issue on my 06' Ram. The Low Washer fluid light comes on despite the reservoir being nearly full. On my 06' the dealer replaced the sensor under warranty. A week later, it happened again, they fixed it again.

Now my 11' just had the same light come on and it too has nearly a full reservoir. I have no warranty on this truck and i am certainly not going to pay a dealer to fix it. Has anybody done this before on a 4th gen? I can pretty much see where the senor is at the bottom of the reservoir down low below the TIPM. I am guessing it's a Pump/Level sensor combo? I cannot see it up close but i only see one electrical connection going to this so i would assume it is. Thoughts?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am seeing others with the same issue on other forums. I also have that issue with my 13. Many have said it is cause by using Rainx, which I do use. Not sure if you do. If you don't, then it must be some other problem

The only thing that puzzles me is that I also use Rainx in my 13 Dart with no issue. Why the Ram has a problem with it is the real question. I have a feeling its not so much the Rainx as it is something with the sensor.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 PM
WESIDE
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I happen to remember correctly there was a recall or something on my 09 involving the sensor. I think the seal leaked and would foul the sensor.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 AM
NV290
All Star

I actually have been using the Rain X washer fluid. The problem is now intermittent. Some times the lights is one, other trips it's not.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:32 AM
NV290
All Star

It's now confirmed that Rain X washer fluid will (Maybe some people have been lucky) trigger a low washer fluid indicator light at least on 2rd and 4th gen Ram's.

That low washer fluid light has been on constantly for weeks. I finally used the last of the Rain X washer fluid in the reservoir and refilled it with regular blue washer fluid 2 days ago. The light went out immediately and has been off ever since. Oddly enough when i went to the auto parts store to buy the blue stuff i mentioned the issue to the guy at the counter and he said he knows all about it as he gets lots of people coming in for new new washer fluid sensors and when he asks "Are you using Rain X washer fluid?" they all say yes.

For the hell of it, i called my local dealer and asked if they saw a pattern of defective low washer fluid sensors coming in and finding orange washer fluid and they too said "Yes, it's a common occurrence"

Old 06-29-2014, 04:50 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

I think its wonderful that a $21k car has better washer fluid sensor than a $55k truck.

Ram wants to blame Rainx. Since in works as it is supposed to in my car, I put all the blame on Ram. Obviously something with these sensors has been changed.

Last edited by pavement_hater; 06-29-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM
NV290
All Star

Their is something in the chemical composition of Rain X that is either coating the sensor and hindering it's ability to make contact across the tips or Rain X is non conductive. Because it's not ruining the sensor. It's simply preventing it from working as designed. I put Rain X in my wife's Hyundai and have no issues. My buddy has used it in 3 F150's and never had an issue. Dodge apparently failed on this.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:06 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

More like Ram failed. A 2013 Dodge Dart has no issues after a year of usage. Yeah it leaves a coat on the sensor. I removed mine the last time I ran out and cleaned it. Works fine again for now.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Sniper_Merc
Amateur

Funny, This just started happening to my 2011 about a month ago, I use the Rain-X mostly in winter but this year just kept right on using it through summer and boom, on constantly.

I wonder if I just flush it out or add water to make it more conductive. Will report back.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by Sniper_Merc
Funny, This just started happening to my 2011 about a month ago, I use the Rain-X mostly in winter but this year just kept right on using it through summer and boom, on constantly.

I wonder if I just flush it out or add water to make it more conductive. Will report back.
I thought i would have to remove the sensor and clean it but it was not necessary. As soon as i ran it out of the orange RainX and poured normal blue stuff in the light went right out and has not been on since.

Quick Reply: Low washer fluid EVIC indicator