4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motor stuck

Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 AM
brunswickmariner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Motor stuck

Has anyone had or heard of issues with these 5.7s, mine has been working great up to last night, pulling on a old tree and engine shut down, would not turn over pulled starter and tried turning engine with power bar on harmonic balancer, will not budge.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:40 AM
plumcrazy73
Captain

is there oil in it

Old 06-07-2014, 10:16 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

Possibly a bent crankshaft.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:55 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if you did something to your torque converter/trans pump that is locking it up???

jack the back wheels up and put truck in neutral. Try to turn tires. If they spin, try to start engine while in neutral but do NOT leave it running.

If still no luck, then you will have to drop the oil pan and check out the lower half of the engine for bearing/rod damage.

btw. Whenever you are pulling out vehicles or stumps, you should be in reverse and use front mounted tow hooks. You never want to yank a vehicle out from the rear. I see it all the time and it's not recommended.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 PM
brunswickmariner
Default Motor Stuck

Ok, screwed with the transfer selector and got engine running and have no gears fwd or rev. Check trans fluid and level is high but was ok before. Torque converter maybe ?

Old 06-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the TC is good and probably the tranny also, check the rear differential. Crawl underneath and check the trasfer case for cracks. Also look at the rear differential, two ways to do it. One, take the cover off and look at it, but then you will have to refill it, another way is to take the rear drive shaft off and then put the trasfer case into 4wd and see if the truck moves. Also, with the drive shaft off and the back tires off the ground, try to spin them by hand.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 PM
RSDodgelover
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog

btw. Whenever you are pulling out vehicles or stumps, you should be in reverse and use front mounted tow hooks. You never want to yank a vehicle out from the rear. I see it all the time and it's not recommended.

I know nothing about the transmissions but have been told all my life to never pull hard in reverse as the ring gears are not designed for it. I've seen a couple of differentials exploded that way. JMO

Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSDodgelover
I know nothing about the transmissions but have been told all my life to never pull hard in reverse as the ring gears are not designed for it. I've seen a couple of differentials exploded that way. JMO
x2....Every recovery class I've taken always said to pull from the rear when possible. Everything in the drivetrain is stronger when going forward. Hell, our military 5-ton truck xfer cases were built so you couldn't back up in low. If you did, they exploded, and I actually witnessed that one. That's a mess.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RSDodgelover
Maybe the differential isn't as strong, but the reverse mech inside most transmissions is stronger than any forward gear!

OP's problems are transmission based, not axle/ring/pinion based which is why I mentioned it. Axles breaking will not cause the engine to shut down. A frozen torque converter will!
I'd much rather replace a broken ring gear than a whole transmission.

I'll stick with what I already said. Either his TC or pump is shot. Anytime you have to rev the motor while in gear means the torque converter is slipping. Slipping creates excessive heat. Roughly 20*F rise every second your slipping it. So, do this for a solid minute and your fluid temps are over a thousand degree farenheit. This is enough to seize the pump.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish these guys that come into the forum asking for help would come back and post the resolution, it's like they are in it only for themselves.

Seems to me that if he got the engine to start and run with messing with the transfer case (probably put it in neutral) that this would rule out the TC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor stuck