4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whine on 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 PM
ArcticWolf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine on 2014

Have a new 2014 Laramie just over a month old with 5.7 w/ 3.21 axle. Every morning when I start driving here a whine. I had a 09 & 13 with 5.7 hemi w/3.55 axle and neither had the whine. At first thought 4wd was active (wasn't). Once you get to about 30 mph sound disappears. Have anyone else have this happening. Going to ask my dealer on Wed. have appt. for reprogram radio

Old 06-17-2014, 01:05 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Get someone to ride with you and see if they have another 2014 you can ride in to compare. It may just be tires.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticWolf
Have a new 2014 Laramie just over a month old with 5.7 w/ 3.21 axle. Every morning when I start driving here a whine. I had a 09 & 13 with 5.7 hemi w/3.55 axle and neither had the whine. At first thought 4wd was active (wasn't). Once you get to about 30 mph sound disappears. Have anyone else have this happening. Going to ask my dealer on Wed. have appt. for reprogram radio
Sorry to hear you are experiencing a whining noise. What area of the vehicle are you hearing the noise and does the noise recur when you drop back down to 30 mph? Let us know what the dealer states.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 PM
ArcticWolf
Professional

It sound like the whine comes from the transfer/transmission area.
Yes & no in regard to the whine returning. It does return when I slow down, but after I drive for a period of time it goes away. I don't know if its because everything is running at operating temp.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Sometimes when first starting out driving, the fan clutch will whine somewhat and quiet down after a few minutes driving.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 PM
ArcticWolf
Professional

I just picked up the truck at dealer, just happen the tech that worked on truck was at service counter.
At first he thought whine was coming from transmission area, but couldn't find it underneath.
He did a Star database search for that type of problem found out the oil pump been reported to cause this.
After confirming this is the problem has a new one coming.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

I just picked up the truck at dealer, just happen the tech that worked on truck was at service counter.
At first he thought whine was coming from transmission area, but couldn't find it underneath.
He did a Star database search for that type of problem found out the oil pump been reported to cause this.
After confirming this is the problem has a new one coming.
Ok, thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:33 PM
ArcticWolf
Professional

I finally got the new oil pump installed, and the whine noise is no more.
Only inconvenience is that it took the dealer two days to do the repair work.
The reason why is that Ram wanted it done in a certain way.
First the service dept. has to let the vehicle sit overnight, and do a cold start the next day.
The reason why is all the fluids will cold and the service dept. can confirm that whine sound is coming from the oil pump.
After being confirmed the repair work is done.
Then vehicle sits again overnight so that a cold start can done again, and verify the whine has been eliminated.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

I would be curious to check back on this in a few months. I have had the whine since new in 2010 w/3.55 and have learned to live with it. It sounds like its between my trans and rear diff. Only reason I thought its my rear end is because when i accelerate and torque is applied it goes away.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

I finally got the new oil pump installed, and the whine noise is no more.
Only inconvenience is that it took the dealer two days to do the repair work.
The reason why is that Ram wanted it done in a certain way.
First the service dept. has to let the vehicle sit overnight, and do a cold start the next day.
The reason why is all the fluids will cold and the service dept. can confirm that whine sound is coming from the oil pump.
After being confirmed the repair work is done.
Then vehicle sits again overnight so that a cold start can done again, and verify the whine has been eliminated.
Please keep us posted. Hopefully the repair resolves the noise.

Quick Reply: Whine on 2014