4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhead console green light led ashtray cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:29 AM
tadst34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead console green light led ashtray cup holder

Hello all. My overhead consol light, the green one in front of the power rear window button, has been flickering on and off. Now it doesn't seem to come on at all. If you search for the replacement no one has a part number. I have looked high and low and talk to the dealer. Many people are saying it is called an ashtray light or cup holder light claiming the bulb number is a 37. This is not true. I had the dealer order me the 37 bulb and it isn't correct. This is a filament bulb. The dealer now told me the only way to replace it is to order the whole overhead consol. That is completely rediculous. Part number 1pq09bd1aa.
I'm not paying $40-$50 for that. Does ANYONE know of a direct replacement for this led light?

See attached picture for what this thing looks like. I know I can't be the only one with this problem. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Overhead console green light led ashtray cup holder-image.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine out tof my 2010 tracing a noise issue. If I remember correctly, the body of what I see in the picture is just the prizimatic projector. Isn't the LED just pressed into that body? If it is, and your small electrical component talents are high, maybe the LED could be replaced separately.

Maybe this helps? (Maybe not.)

Best regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 004500 miles.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 PM
tadst34
Rookie

Dusty,

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the LED is molded into the plastic with the terminals coming out the side then bent upward. I will take it back out and look again, however.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:07 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Any news on this? I was thinking about trying to find a brighter light. I didn't even notice that there was a light there until the other day I read something on a forum somewhere about there being a light. I was trying to find out what that other round lens looking deal is on the overhead console.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:40 AM
tadst34
Rookie

I bought this square led from super bright LEDs. And just put a dab of super glue on the face of the led. Where it sits is acctually square. It is almost a perfect fit and it is brighter. I just jammed the wires in the existing socket because I didn't want to cut the factory "harness". But it would probably be better to use a butt connector or solder them.

Little Dot SMD LED Accent Light
LD1-G

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/

Old 09-13-2014, 12:43 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Thanks! Just the info I was looking for. Do you have a picture of the lighted area with the new led in place? Curious as to what it actually lights up and if it will be worth the trouble for me to fix it.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:47 AM
tadst34
Rookie

I don't have a picture. I haven't acctually drove in the night since I put it in. But I can tell it is certainly brighter, even in daylight if I put my hand close to it.

It is only $2.00, and comes in several different colors. I just ligjts up the cup holder and floor shifter area. I had to replace it because it was flickering and was a huge distraction while driving at night.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

As long as it lights up the cup holder area decently, that's all I can ask for. Did you stay with the green or choose a different color?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:12 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it is a bad LED? Have you checked for power at the incoming wires/plug? Perhaps it is a problem with the wiring harness or somewhere before that. LEDs have really long life and unless they get physically damaged (like corrosion in the puddle lights) I think it would be odd for one to 'burn out'. Especially not in a "flickers for a while then doesn't come on" mode. Filament bulbs flicker as the filament erodes and breaks. LEDs are electronic. I'm no expert but I wouldn't think that's how they would go out.

Rob

Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 AM
tadst34
Rookie

I stuck with green.
Yes seems strange for an led to flicker. But it was the led. I checked the voltage at the harness. I also used a multimeter with a diode tester to check the led. Led was bad.

Quick Reply: Overhead console green light led ashtray cup holder